Thread: Moving to sc

Moving to sc

Good afternoon gentleman,

I am seriously contemplating moving to SC for work from the crappy state of MD. As Im sure youre all well aware of MDs horrendous gun laws and impossibility to obtain a CC permit, I am asking for your help with how the gun laws "really are" in SC regarding how difficult it "really" is to obtain a CC permit. Ive never been convicted of any crime, valid DL, US citizen, no mental disabilities, etc. Please note that when I move there I will have to rent a home and how will that affect the CC permit process?

Thank you in advance,

Jeremy

It was very easy when I got my SC CWP in 1996. My ex-wife and her Seventy-ish parents got theirs at about the same time. The instructor guaranteed a passing grade on the 100 question exam with a promise of unlimited retakes of the class.

Here is the SC Legislature's homepage with links to the Code of Laws and the Code of Regulations.

The Code of Laws has a fine search engine at
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/statmast.php -- >> http://www.scstatehouse.gov/query.ph...ory=CODEOFLAWS

Title 23, Chapter 31, Article 4 Concealed Weapon Permits has the details, This article may be cited as the "Law Abiding Citizens Self-Defense Act of 1996".

Section 23-31-210 (5) "Proof of training" means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:

(a) a person who, within three years before filing an application, has successfully completed a basic or advanced handgun education course offered by a state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency or a nationally recognized organization that promotes gun safety. This education course must be a minimum of eight hours and must include, but is not limited to:

(i) information on the statutory and case law of this State relating to handguns and to the use of deadly force;

(ii) information on handgun use and safety;

(iii) information on the proper storage practice for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that reduces the possibility of accidental injury to a child; and

(iv) the actual firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor;

[ ... ]

SLED shall promulgate regulations containing general guidelines for courses and qualifications for instructors which would satisfy the requirements of this item. For purposes of subitems (a) and (b), "proof of training" is not satisfied unless the organization and its instructors meet or exceed the guidelines and qualifications contained in the regulations promulgated by SLED pursuant to this item.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-18-2014 at 03:44 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jsm7977 View Post
    Good afternoon gentleman,

I am seriously contemplating moving to SC for work from the crappy state of MD. As Im sure youre all well aware of MDs horrendous gun laws and impossibility to obtain a CC permit, I am asking for your help with how the gun laws "really are" in SC regarding how difficult it "really" is to obtain a CC permit. Ive never been convicted of any crime, valid DL, US citizen, no mental disabilities, etc. Please note that when I move there I will have to rent a home and how will that affect the CC permit process?

Thank you in advance,

Jeremy
    You should have no problem. As soon as you get into your rental start getting your address changed and get your SC drivers license. Go take the silly, I mean highly valuable CWP course and get your application in ASAP. Word is SLED is getting better but they've been taking more than 90 days to get permission slips out. What part of the state are you moving to?

Cwp

I think it will be easier if you do get a SC DL. Of course to do that, you will have to surrender your MD license. I wanted to keep my NY license when I moved here and SC DMV said, nope. Once you have the DL as mentioned, take the CWP class, then get your application into SLED. I took the class last year in April, took me almost 4 months to get the permit back, but I hear it is getting a little quicker. Maybe only like 3 months or so now from what I hear at the range I go to.