• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to tn

jsm7977

Good afternoon gentleman,

I am seriously considering moving to 1 of 3 states in the south for work from the crappy state of MD. As IM sure youre all well aware of the horrible gun laws in MD and how its virtually impossible to EVER get a CC permit, I am asking for what the "real deal" is in TN when applying for CC permit and how hard is it really to get one. Note, Ive never been convicted of any crime, no mental issues, etc. However, if I do decide to move to TN, I will be renting a home initially and how that might affect the CC permit process.

Thank you in advance,

Jeremy

independence

A day of classroom/range training is involved. It's very basic, with an open book test and something like 70% accuracy in center mass at the range. Then it's fingerprints and application at the drivers' license office. The total cost is less than $200. It only took me a month to get it in the mail. Be prepared for the fact that the class will likely be useless and provide loads of misinformation. You may also have an instructor muzzle-sweeping students in the classroom. Once you receive your permit you can OC or CC, but do some research on your own via handgunlaw.us and the TN code website to get the details on the law. In short, it is not a complicated process at all to get a permit.

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.

independence

P.S.There are gentlewomen here, too. Just sayin'... ;)

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.

FTG-05

A day of classroom/range training is involved. It's very basic, with an open book test and something like 70% accuracy in center mass at the range. Then it's fingerprints and application at the drivers' license office. The total cost is less than $200. It only took me a month to get it in the mail. Be prepared for the fact that the class will likely be useless and provide loads of misinformation. You may also have an instructor muzzle-sweeping students in the classroom. Once you receive your permit you can OC or CC, but do some research on your own via handgunlaw.us and the TN code website to get the details on the law. In short, it is not a complicated process at all to get a permit.

Mostly correct, especially about the useless class.

However, the application and fingerprinting processes are two different and separate steps.

So the correct process is:

- Take the [useless] class (cost: about $40-$60), plus for me a drive of 15 miles one way

- Take the class cert to the driver's license office, then and only then, they give you the fingerprinting information, which is done by a separate agency (a private one in Lincoln county); cost: nothing, but for me, another 15 mile drive one way (the driver's license place is right across the street from where the class was held; but the class was held on a Sunday and yep!, you guessed it: the DL place isn't open on Sunday! Yea!)

- Go get your fingerprints taken at the fingerprint place; cost: nothing, but for me, another 20 mile drive one way (the fingerprinting place was only open on Monday and Thursdays, I went by the drivers place on a Wednesday; of course there is no way to know beforehand - what a surprise!

- Wait for your license.

I forget what the license cost ($120), so the total infringement on my 2nd amendment rights is:

$180, 100 miles of driving and a one month or so wait. "...shall not be infringed..." my you-know-what!

Please tell me that someone is working for constitutional carry in TN and getting rid of that moronic CCW process.

And, let's not forget one other very critical point about TN gun law: In TN, if you're carrying a gun, you are breaking the law and are considered guilty until proven innocent. Hence, any LEO has RAS right off the bat if he sees your gun and can treat you just like a criminal until he is satisfied that you are not. The TN CCW permit (and other states CCWs *I presume*) is one way to prove your innocence. Guilty until proven innocent. Goes against the very basic tenant of US jurisprudence (innocent until proven guilty) IMO.

Last edited:

independence

Mostly correct, especially about the useless class.

However, the application and fingerprinting processes are two different and separate steps.

So the correct process is:

- Take the [useless] class (cost: about $40-$60), plus for me a drive of 15 miles one way

- Take the class cert to the driver's license office, then and only then, they give you the fingerprinting information, which is done by a separate agency (a private one in Lincoln county); cost: nothing, but for me, another 15 mile drive one way (the driver's license place is right across the street from where the class was held; but the class was held on a Sunday and yep!, you guessed it: the DL place isn't open on Sunday! Yea!)

- Go get your fingerprints taken at the fingerprint place; cost: nothing, but for me, another 20 mile drive one way (the fingerprinting place was only open on Monday and Thursdays, I went by the drivers place on a Wednesday; of course there is no way to know beforehand - what a surprise!

- Wait for your license.

I forget what the license cost ($120), so the total infringement on my 2nd amendment rights is:

$180, 100 miles of driving and a one month or so wait. "...shall not be infringed..." my you-know-what!

Please tell me that someone is working for constitutional carry in TN and getting rid of that moronic CCW process.

And, let's not forget one other very critical point about TN gun law: In TN, if you're carrying a gun, you are breaking the law and are considered guilty until proven innocent. Hence, any LEO has RAS right off the bat if he sees your gun and can treat you just like a criminal until he is satisfied that you are not. The TN CCW permit (and other states CCWs *I presume*) is one way to prove your innocence. Guilty until proven innocent. Goes against the very basic tenant of US jurisprudence (innocent until proven guilty) IMO.

Yeah. That's what I was trying to say, including the application and fingerprints being separate steps. You articulated it better than me. Anyhow, it is indeed time to rally the troops and push for more firearm freedoms in TN. However, the governor doesn't think so. He has clearly stated that gun law in TN has pretty much reached a pinnacle and no further changes need be made.

Kopis

This is the south, if you have a clean record, around $200, and half a day of time... No problem. Only felony conviction/mental health issues will cause denial. It isn't like up north where you have to get some police chief to sign off. You will have to get finger printed but it isnt a big deal. And of course, im assuming you know TN is a full on OC state too.

Half the time when i tell LEOs im armed, they're like "soooo?" or "cool, what do you carry?".

What one of the above posters referred to is that you are required to present your HCP upon request but unless youre walking around with an AK pistol or acting strange, i havent heard of any issues in TN. Ive been OCing for a little over six months now in memphis and have never had an LEO ask for my permit despite having seen several.

TN is very pro gun. They passed the redundant "guns in trunks" law and also passed a law after katrina stating no LEO can disarm you during martial law.

Last edited:

independence

<snip>And of course, im assuming you know TN is a full on OC state too. <snip>

Can only OC with a permit though...not quite full on...anyway...

Kopis

yes, that's what i meant sorry. Open carry with permit but not constitutional carry. I actually live in east AR which gestapo land about CC and OC. Supposedly act 746 allows for OC but the AG disagrees. Hopefully in good time it will come around. LEOs here in AR act like the world will crash but i tell them i OC all the time in TN and have never had an issue.

chaseget83

Hey guys I live in STL, MO and will be getting ccw in two weeks. I am considering a move for my family soon and think TN is where we are going. I was just curious if anyone knows if my MO permit had any weight in TN or if I will have to go through the process again. No real biggie would just be cool if I was already good to go. Thanks in advance.

Oh Shoot

Hey guys I live in STL, MO and will be getting ccw in two weeks. I am considering a move for my family soon and think TN is where we are going. I was just curious if anyone knows if my MO permit had any weight in TN or if I will have to go through the process again. No real biggie would just be cool if I was already good to go. Thanks in advance.

You are required to get a TN permit within 6 months of establishing residency here, so your MO permit would be good for that long.

And yes, you will have to go through the whole drill: a class ($50-100), permit fee (115.00), and fingerprinting.

- OS

chaseget83

No worries on that, I kind of figured I would have to do it all again. Thanks for the confirmation. Have a good one.

Kopis

As youre probably aware TN is very pro gun. You can OC here with any recognized permit (all of them i think). They've passed a martial law no gun seizure law after katrina, guns in trunks to protect people from employers that prohibit guns and a few others.

Fallguy

As youre probably aware TN is very pro gun. You can OC here with any recognized permit (all of them i think). They've passed a martial law no gun seizure law after katrina, guns in trunks to protect people from employers that prohibit guns and a few others.

Well just to clarify a bit, the "guns in trunks" only protects you from any criminal charges, you are still subject to any employer sanctions.

independence

Well just to clarify a bit, the "guns in trunks" only protects you from any criminal charges, you are still subject to any employer sanctions.

Indeed. A lot of people think this gives them some kind of pass where they are untouchable by their employer as far as the firearm in their trunk. Not so. They can still fire you. You won't go to jail, but you may be looking for another job.

Kopis

Yes youre right. I never really got the point of the law. I don't get what an employer would be doing in my car to begin with. I wouldnt let them look ever and unless youre running around telling everyone you have a gun in your trunk. how would they know? But the law does seem like a good faith effort to further protect gun owners.

Fallguy

Yes youre right. I never really got the point of the law. I don't get what an employer would be doing in my car to begin with. I wouldnt let them look ever and unless youre running around telling everyone you have a gun in your trunk. how would they know? But the law does seem like a good faith effort to further protect gun owners.

I understand and pretty much agree.

But some states do actually protect the employee from the employer and just wanted to point out TN is not one of those states...at least not yet.

Oh Shoot

Well, it prevents you from being charged with misdemeanor for violating the signage statute, like anybody gets charged with that anyway. But the biggest thing it does is negate the felony charge for stashing loaded firearm in vehicle on school property.

- OS

FTG-05

Did we lose the OP???

If not, the issue of renting a house vs. owning a house will have zero affect on getting a CCW in TN.

Good luck!

independence

<snip> getting a CCW in TN. <snip>

Ahem...No such thing as a CCW in TN. It's an HCP...Handgun Carry Permit...alows you to carry openly or concealed...Without it you can't carry at all, unfortunately.