• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to ga

jsm7977

Good afternoon gentleman,

I am looking to move to one of three states in the south from the crappy state of MD for work. As Im sure you all are well aware of MDs horrible gun laws and almost impossibility to ever be granted a CC permit, I am asking you all for what the "real deal" is with GAs permit process, how difficult do they make it, etc. Ive never been convicted of any crime, no mental issues, and all that good stuff. However if I choose GA, I will be renting initially and how might that affect the permit process?

Thank you all in advance,

Jeremy

Fallschirjmäger

Good afternoon gentleman,

I am looking to move to one of three states in the south from the crappy state of MD for work. As Im sure you all are well aware of MDs horrible gun laws and almost impossibility to ever be granted a CC permit, I am asking you all for what the "real deal" is with GAs permit process, how difficult do they make it, etc. Ive never been convicted of any crime, no mental issues, and all that good stuff. However if I choose GA, I will be renting initially and how might that affect the permit process?
Georgia is a "Shall Issue" state, unless you are unqualified you must be issued a license after the investigation has been completed.
To get a Georgia Weapons License, you must establish residence (water bill, telephone deposit, gas deposit, etc).

The license is issued by your local Probate Court; you fill out a form that looks a lot like the ATF 4473, raise your hand and swear to gawd it's true, and they take a digital photograph and either cash or a money order (call before going to see what and how much). They will then send you to the local police or Sheriff's office to be fingerprinted. Then you go home.

In a week or 3 you look in your mailbox and there's a letter for you from the Probate Court with your shiny license inside. If you get the GWL in one or two counties you get a SASE that you gave them with a note that you can go pick up your license. :eek:.
One nice thing about the GWL is that since it's issued by your local county government, it does not reside in any state database, and does not show up on your driver's license or registration. The only way to find out if Mr Public has a GWL is to call the Probate Court. Call between 8:30AM and 5:00PM, Monday through Friday and don't call between 12 and 1 because that's when Ellie-May takes her lunch and watches her tv show. And we have a Hunnert-n-Fiddy-Nine counties. Anyone wanting to know if you have a GWL may get a finger cramp.

The approximate cost is between 70 and 80 depending upon county and it's good for 5 years.

If you decide to make Georgia your new home, be sure to join the forum at Georgia Packing.Org and consider membership in Georgia Carry.Org which is working tirelessly to protect and expand the rights of Georgians.

Last edited:

Double_J

Move here please

We here in GA will gladly accept you if you would like to come here. The permit process is a bit of a pain in that you have to show up between 8:30 and 4:00, bring your GA I.D (D.L, or I.D. card), proof of residency, and CASH for the permit (at least in my county as they don't know what a check or credit/debit card is). I think it took about 5 or 6 weeks for me to get my permit in the mail. Check with the county you will be living in for further details.