• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1269 Passive collection & use of personal information by law enforcement agencies

Repeater

davidmcbeth

Banned
The real question is:
Does the collection of data itself put a gun owner at risk?

The gov't would say yes when it comes to citizens collecting the same data on them.

B. Reddy

License plate scanners on cop cars

This bill looks pretty good; probably little chance of becoming law:

HB 1269 Passive collection and use of personal information by law enforcement agencies.

That Summary is lame. Read the bill text. Could have real implications for gun owner privacy.

Repeater-

You might want to have a look-see at "Richmond Sunlight" http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2014/hb1269/fulltext/
That website has WAY more features on pending legislation than the GA's Legislative Info system. The changes for a bill are highlighted in color on "Sunlight" versus mere italics on the GA's system.

Unless I'm mistaken, this bill is aimed at police departments that just drive around and hoover up photos,dates, times and locations of EVERY license plate they can see and just hang onto the data for as long as they care to. One element of the bill says:

"Every three years, the Department shall conduct a review of information contained in any database maintained by the Virginia Fusion Intelligence Center. Data that has been determined to not have a nexus to terrorist activity shall be removed from such database. A reasonable suspicion standard shall be applied when determining whether or not information has a nexus to terrorist activity."

WaPo had a story on Friday. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...b5e818-7fbf-11e3-95c6-0a7aa80874bc_story.html

TFred

Repeater-

You might want to have a look-see at "Richmond Sunlight" http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2014/hb1269/fulltext/
That website has WAY more features on pending legislation than the GA's Legislative Info system. The changes for a bill are highlighted in color on "Sunlight" versus mere italics on the GA's system.
Just FYI, there is also a highlight option on the LIS site. It's one of the link options at the top right corner of any of the bill detail pages.

See top right corner of this page.

TFred

TFred

Are you required to display your license plates while your car is not in operation? Can you either remove or cover your plates while your car is parked? I would think there can be no legal consequence for doing so in a private parking lot, but what about on the side of the street?

TFred

mobeewan

If a motor vehicle is parked on a public street it must have plates displayed and a current inspection sticker. If plates were removed or covered it could be ticketed and or towed.

As far as on private property, Local codes and compliance violations could come into play. Over the years in Hampton I have been notified by Codes and Compliance about "inoperable" vehicles in my yard. There was never more than one vehicle in my yard at a time. They did not have current inspection or plates, but most of them over the years did run. I had to keep them covered with a tarp or they threatened to take legal action to make me move them. That usually happened after a bad storm and the old tap got damaged by the wind. They would seem to send me a letter the next day before I could get a new cover for it. One codes and compliance guy was a car collector. He would write up my neighbor and then offered to buy his vehicles. Seemed to be a kinda conflict of interest to me. Told the neighbor he should have complained about him to the city manager.

Last edited:

TFred

If a motor vehicle is parked on a public street it must have plates displayed and a current inspection sticker. If plates were removed or covered it could be ticketed and or towed.

As far as on private property, Local codes and compliance violations could come into play. Over the years in Hampton I have been notified by Codes and Compliance about "inoperable" vehicles in my yard. There was never more than one vehicle in my yard at a time. They did not have current inspection or plates, but most of them over the years did run. I had to keep them covered with a tarp or they threatened to take legal action to make me move them. That usually happened after a bad storm and the old tap got damaged by the wind. They would seem to send me a letter the next day before I could get a new cover for it. One codes and compliance guy was a car collector. He would write up my neighbor and then offered to buy his vehicles. Seemed to be a kinda conflict of interest to me. Told the neighbor he should have complained about him to the city manager.
One more reason to have a garage!

TFred

Repeater

"Policing the police"

Hey, look: the RTD likes this bill:

Policing the police
Virginians might not be aware just how much police departments know about their movements. License-plate cameras are mounted both on patrol cars and at fixed locations and can take up to 1,800 pictures per second.

When former Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli issued an advisory opinion last year concluding that state and local law enforcement agencies lacked the authority to store data collected by license-plate readers, the Virginia State Police responded appropriately. The agency now purges the data after 24 hours.

Unfortunately, other departments have not followed suit. Having consulted their attorneys, many local agencies have decided to store the data, sometimes for years, on the off chance that it might help in a future investigation.

That’s a pretty flimsy excuse. All kinds of information conceivably could help in a future investigation — from credit card transactions to the telephone data amassed by the NSA. The mere possibility doesn’t entitle police departments to have it — though some have asked federal authorities to troll phone records, too. Letting law enforcement store any data that might someday come in handy moves the country one step closer to a surveillance state in which civil liberties are more notional than actual.

Del. Richard Anderson has introduced legislation to codify Cuccinelli’s opinion by restricting the storage of data from license-plate readers. It would permit keeping data only when its relevance to criminal activity is “clearly established in advance.” That’s an appropriate standard, and the General Assembly should approve it.

thedevilrobyjohn

no tags

a car with no tags gets immedite attention and tickets. My driveway parallels with the street. Took tags off for a sale and 20 minutes later it had a tow sticker on windshield. Like everything in life, there are ways around everything though