Thread: apartment living by a school zone

apartment living by a school zone

Good afternoon,
    So i am new to the Fairbanks area and I was actually very curious about one of the laws that we have in this great country and it is the having firearms near a school zone. Well i live near a school zone and have my lower 48 permit soon to have the alaskan permit, but my questio is about storage in a safe location, suchas a safe, in an apartment which would, from my understanding be considered private. Well researching how laws are actually applies I have noticed that if you store a firearm it specifically states vehicles but it doesn't say anything about if you live in an apartment complex or private residence and have it in a safe. Does anyone know where I might find this information is factually accurate and actually written down?
    Safe shooting,
    Zen

Post in the state forum for the state with laws covering you and your situation.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Federal GFSZA does not include private property. State laws may vary though.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Frequently asked questions in Washington. Maybe a mod can move this to the Washingto forum.

Lower 48 permit?

In Washington I wouldn't really worry about the school zones, it's a federal law, and with your "papers" you are good.

There are no laws for in house storage, English common law is supposed to be the rule of law here, and when something is not prohibited it is allowed.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

There is no such thing as a "Lower 48 permit." What exactly do you have?

As for the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act, it is ignored as a primary offense. It is known by even the cops that it is unconstitutional (It was struck down by SCOTUS in its first iteration.)

Unless you are in a state that enforces its own version, ignore it.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I believe Zen was talking about his Washington State permit, as the "lower 48 permit". In Alaska anything south of Canada and north of Mexico is referred to as "the lower 48". I'm wondering why he feels that he needs an Alaska State "permit"? Several years ago Alaska went to Constitutional Carry, and CCW/CFP/CHL/etc. are not required. From the Alaska DPS website:
    Alaska's laws do not prohibit anyone 21 or older who may legally possess a firearm from carrying it concealed.
    As for the "safe" issue, if he has kids he would be well-advised to acquire a safe for proper and secure storage of his firearm(s). The only reason they even have the permits to issue, is for those Alaska residents who are traveling out-of-state and wish to legally carry concealed. Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 01-19-2014 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Typo...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    I'm wondering why he feels that he needs an Alaska State "permit"? Several years ago Alaska went to Constitutional Carry, and CCW/CFP/CHL/etc. are not required.

The only reason they even have the permits to issue, is for those Alaska residents who are traveling out-of-state and wish to legally carry concealed. Pax...
    Another reason is as a defense against the Federal GFSZ foolishness. Without a license issued by the state the school is located in you are in violation of that act if you knowingly possess a firearm within the GFSZ.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    Another reason is as a defense against the Federal GFSZ foolishness. Without a license issued by the state the school is located in you are in violation of that act if you knowingly possess a firearm within the GFSZ.
    True, and thanks for reminding me. I tend to forget about the GFSZ BS. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    True, and thanks for reminding me. I tend to forget about the GFSZ BS. Pax...
    There is a discussion of this very point in another thread. We are discussing readings of the law that would disagree with the assessment that the license needs to be "issued" by the State. The word "issued" does not appear in the law, raising some good issues (pun intended) with the law. Check it out. It's in the thread about a memo from the ATF.