• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

apartment living by a school zone

zeninthesun

Good afternoon,
So i am new to the Fairbanks area and I was actually very curious about one of the laws that we have in this great country and it is the having firearms near a school zone. Well i live near a school zone and have my lower 48 permit soon to have the alaskan permit, but my questio is about storage in a safe location, suchas a safe, in an apartment which would, from my understanding be considered private. Well researching how laws are actually applies I have noticed that if you store a firearm it specifically states vehicles but it doesn't say anything about if you live in an apartment complex or private residence and have it in a safe. Does anyone know where I might find this information is factually accurate and actually written down?
Safe shooting,
Zen

sudden valley gunner

Frequently asked questions in Washington. Maybe a mod can move this to the Washingto forum.

Lower 48 permit?

In Washington I wouldn't really worry about the school zones, it's a federal law, and with your "papers" you are good.

There are no laws for in house storage, English common law is supposed to be the rule of law here, and when something is not prohibited it is allowed.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
There is no such thing as a "Lower 48 permit." What exactly do you have?

As for the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act, it is ignored as a primary offense. It is known by even the cops that it is unconstitutional (It was struck down by SCOTUS in its first iteration.)

Unless you are in a state that enforces its own version, ignore it.

Gil223

I believe Zen was talking about his Washington State permit, as the "lower 48 permit". In Alaska anything south of Canada and north of Mexico is referred to as "the lower 48". I'm wondering why he feels that he needs an Alaska State "permit"? Several years ago Alaska went to Constitutional Carry, and CCW/CFP/CHL/etc. are not required. From the Alaska DPS website:
Alaska's laws do not prohibit anyone 21 or older who may legally possess a firearm from carrying it concealed.
As for the "safe" issue, if he has kids he would be well-advised to acquire a safe for proper and secure storage of his firearm(s). The only reason they even have the permits to issue, is for those Alaska residents who are traveling out-of-state and wish to legally carry concealed. Pax...

Last edited:

JustaShooter

I'm wondering why he feels that he needs an Alaska State "permit"? Several years ago Alaska went to Constitutional Carry, and CCW/CFP/CHL/etc. are not required.

The only reason they even have the permits to issue, is for those Alaska residents who are traveling out-of-state and wish to legally carry concealed. Pax...

Another reason is as a defense against the Federal GFSZ foolishness. Without a license issued by the state the school is located in you are in violation of that act if you knowingly possess a firearm within the GFSZ.

Gil223

Another reason is as a defense against the Federal GFSZ foolishness. Without a license issued by the state the school is located in you are in violation of that act if you knowingly possess a firearm within the GFSZ.
True, and thanks for reminding me. I tend to forget about the GFSZ BS. Pax...

eye95

True, and thanks for reminding me. I tend to forget about the GFSZ BS. Pax...

There is a discussion of this very point in another thread. We are discussing readings of the law that would disagree with the assessment that the license needs to be "issued" by the State. The word "issued" does not appear in the law, raising some good issues (pun intended) with the law. Check it out. It's in the thread about a memo from the ATF.