Thread: apartment living by a school zone and securing your firearm

apartment living by a school zone and securing your firearm

Good afternoon,
    So i am new to the Fairbanks area and I was actually very curious about one of the laws that we have in this great country and it is the having firearms near a school zone. Well i live near a school zone and have my lower 48 permit soon to have the alaskan permit, but my questio is about storage in a safe location, suchas a safe, in an apartment which would, from my understanding be considered private. Well researching how laws are actually applies I have noticed that if you store a firearm it specifically states vehicles but it doesn't say anything about if you live in an apartment complex or private residence and have it in a safe. Does anyone know where I might find this information is factually accurate and actually written down?
    Safe shooting,
    Zen

Here is a place to start. A search of Alaska statutes for "firearms"

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

thanks nightmare, but that's a lot of info to sift through. I'm pretty sure that as long as its in a private residence, even though im in a school zone, it should be just fine. Alaska doesn't strike me as the sort of state that would give up its ability to have a person defend themselves very easily. I'd just like something concrete so if im questioned by a leo I have the law on my side.

If questioned by a cop, your only safe response is, "Am I free to go?" Yes: Shut up and leave. No: "I will not resist, I refuse any search or seizure. I demand my attorney present." AND SHUT UP.

Do not argue with a cop. He is not bound to the truth. Anything you say will be used to incriminate you.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-01-2014 at 04:14 PM.

oh agreed nightmare, yee with the coolest head wins when it comes to talking with a leo, and again, from what I gather, they are pretty good about it up here. I just want to make sure that im good to go for the residency part of it.

Now I don't understand your question.

The GFSA The Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990 (18 U.S.C. 922(q)) states in relevant part,
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm [ ... ] at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone. (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-01-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Well I thought my question was pretty straight forward, if I live in an apartment that is in a school zone, and I own firearms, would it be legal, even with the act in place (which personally does nothing). From what I understand about it, the answer is sort of. Legally, because its considered private property, being an apartment complex, I would be good to go. What im looking for is documentation on it, to make sure that I read it correctly and am exempt since its private residence. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by zeninthesun View Post
    [ ... ] (which personally does nothing). [ ... ]. That's all.
    Yep, that's all. "Ab'deah b'dea, Th-Th-Th-Th-Th-... That's all, folks!"

I think he already conceals

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...88#post1890788

So usually i conceal [ ... ]
    [ ... ] Well i live near a school zone and have my lower 48 permit soon to have the alaskan permit,
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-01-2014 at 06:14 PM.