• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

apartment living by a school zone and securing your firearm

zeninthesun

Good afternoon,
So i am new to the Fairbanks area and I was actually very curious about one of the laws that we have in this great country and it is the having firearms near a school zone. Well i live near a school zone and have my lower 48 permit soon to have the alaskan permit, but my questio is about storage in a safe location, suchas a safe, in an apartment which would, from my understanding be considered private. Well researching how laws are actually applies I have noticed that if you store a firearm it specifically states vehicles but it doesn't say anything about if you live in an apartment complex or private residence and have it in a safe. Does anyone know where I might find this information is factually accurate and actually written down?
Safe shooting,
Zen

zeninthesun

thanks nightmare, but that's a lot of info to sift through. I'm pretty sure that as long as its in a private residence, even though im in a school zone, it should be just fine. Alaska doesn't strike me as the sort of state that would give up its ability to have a person defend themselves very easily. I'd just like something concrete so if im questioned by a leo I have the law on my side.

zeninthesun

oh agreed nightmare, yee with the coolest head wins when it comes to talking with a leo, and again, from what I gather, they are pretty good about it up here. I just want to make sure that im good to go for the residency part of it.

zeninthesun

Well I thought my question was pretty straight forward, if I live in an apartment that is in a school zone, and I own firearms, would it be legal, even with the act in place (which personally does nothing). From what I understand about it, the answer is sort of. Legally, because its considered private property, being an apartment complex, I would be good to go. What im looking for is documentation on it, to make sure that I read it correctly and am exempt since its private residence. That's all.