Thread: Shooting on your own property question

Shooting on your own property question

Hey guys, I cant seem to find an actual law so I figured I'd ask you guys. I am looking for a house with land so I can do target shooting/hunting on my own property. Does anyone know the minimum distance from another residence or road? I was looking at a home in cheatham county on 4.5 acres.. but it backs up to a golf course! I figured the noise complaints would come pouring in so I was just seeing if there is a law regarding how far away you need to be from an occupied residence. I can care less about the noise if what I am doing is law abiding.

Tennessee Code http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

Cheatham County Ordinances don't seem to be on line.

An acquaintance's insurance company interfered in his similar plans on larger and more remote property.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I have 38 acres in Lincoln county and I'd like to know this information as well.

I have a range area picked out, about 100 yards, faces to the south and backs up against a small hill. The closest road or buildings in that direction are about 1.5 miles +/-. I could do about a 325 yard range but it would be at the bottom of my hill area, which is difficult to get to when the ground is wet or damp.

The 203 page Cheatham County, Tenn. Zoning Resolution does not mention "gun" "shoot" "shooting" or "range".

I have always heard it was 100 yards and in a "safe direction".. cant seem to find it in the code

Be careful. The prohibition in my state is, as I recall, no gunfire within one hundred yards of an habitation.

My property is a quarter-mile long and 150 feet wide.

Quote Originally Posted by cjakesnyder1988 View Post
    I have always heard it was 100 yards and in a "safe direction".. cant seem to find it in the code
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Be careful. The prohibition in my state is, as I recall, no gunfire within one hundred yards of an habitation.

My property is a quarter-mile long and 150 feet wide.
    That is actually a hunting law. T.C.A. 704-108(b)
    -------------------------
    70-4-108. Hunting from or across public road or near dwelling -- Penalty.

(a) It is unlawful to hunt, shoot at, chase, catch, or kill, with or without dogs, any wild animal, wild bird, or wild fowl from a public road right-of-way, or to shoot any firearms across or on any public road

(b) It is unlawful to hunt, shoot at, chase, or kill, with or without dogs any wild animal, wild bird or wild fowl on public lands and waters within one hundred yards (100 yds.) of a visible dwelling house, whether or not such dwelling house is on public or private lands, without the owner's permission.

(c) A violation of subsection (a) or (b) is a Class C misdemeanor.

(d) (1) It is unlawful to hunt, shoot at, chase, catch, or kill, with or without dogs, any wild animal, wild bird, or wild fowl from a motor vehicle on either a public road or right-of-way, or from a public road or right-of-way after leaving a motor vehicle specifically for such purpose with the immediate intent to return to the vehicle.

(2) A violation of this subsection (d) is a Class A misdemeanor.
    --------------

So the 100yd law is only while you're hunting.

Otherwise there is no state law I am aware of that regulates discharging a firearm.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

I talked to my lawyer about this yesterday. He stated it was fine just as long as I was safe and not send errant bullets where they don't belong. He said the only other concern is if I have a bunch of people over, make a lot of noise that could be considered a nuisance. Since I don't plan any full auto fire (at least until I can set up something down at the bottom of my hill) this shouldn't be a problem.

Cell phone pic of my 100 yard range. It's a little bigger now since I was able to spend another hour or so on it yesterday.

Last edited by FTG-05; 02-02-2014 at 12:47 PM.

you used to be able to find a soft shareware copy of the the NRA's range source book out on the al gore's invention...

just looked and couldn't find anything except the 2012 at http://rangeservices.nra.org/sourcebook.aspx

or http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/destina..._practices.pdf

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain