• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting on your own property question

cjakesnyder1988

Hey guys, I cant seem to find an actual law so I figured I'd ask you guys. I am looking for a house with land so I can do target shooting/hunting on my own property. Does anyone know the minimum distance from another residence or road? I was looking at a home in cheatham county on 4.5 acres.. but it backs up to a golf course! I figured the noise complaints would come pouring in so I was just seeing if there is a law regarding how far away you need to be from an occupied residence. I can care less about the noise if what I am doing is law abiding.

FTG-05

I have 38 acres in Lincoln county and I'd like to know this information as well.

I have a range area picked out, about 100 yards, faces to the south and backs up against a small hill. The closest road or buildings in that direction are about 1.5 miles +/-. I could do about a 325 yard range but it would be at the bottom of my hill area, which is difficult to get to when the ground is wet or damp.

Fallguy

I have always heard it was 100 yards and in a "safe direction".. cant seem to find it in the code

Be careful. The prohibition in my state is, as I recall, no gunfire within one hundred yards of an habitation.

My property is a quarter-mile long and 150 feet wide.

That is actually a hunting law. T.C.A. 704-108(b)
-------------------------
70-4-108. Hunting from or across public road or near dwelling -- Penalty.

(a) It is unlawful to hunt, shoot at, chase, catch, or kill, with or without dogs, any wild animal, wild bird, or wild fowl from a public road right-of-way, or to shoot any firearms across or on any public road

(b) It is unlawful to hunt, shoot at, chase, or kill, with or without dogs any wild animal, wild bird or wild fowl on public lands and waters within one hundred yards (100 yds.) of a visible dwelling house, whether or not such dwelling house is on public or private lands, without the owner's permission.

(c) A violation of subsection (a) or (b) is a Class C misdemeanor.

(d) (1) It is unlawful to hunt, shoot at, chase, catch, or kill, with or without dogs, any wild animal, wild bird, or wild fowl from a motor vehicle on either a public road or right-of-way, or from a public road or right-of-way after leaving a motor vehicle specifically for such purpose with the immediate intent to return to the vehicle.

(2) A violation of this subsection (d) is a Class A misdemeanor.
--------------

So the 100yd law is only while you're hunting.

Otherwise there is no state law I am aware of that regulates discharging a firearm.

FTG-05

I talked to my lawyer about this yesterday. He stated it was fine just as long as I was safe and not send errant bullets where they don't belong. He said the only other concern is if I have a bunch of people over, make a lot of noise that could be considered a nuisance. Since I don't plan any full auto fire (at least until I can set up something down at the bottom of my hill) this shouldn't be a problem.

Cell phone pic of my 100 yard range. It's a little bigger now since I was able to spend another hour or so on it yesterday.

rangepic_zpsb6b2116b.jpg

Last edited: