• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A good enounter with a police officer

Freedom1Man

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...aying-ball-has-sent-the-dash-cam-video-viral/

FUQ
A Texas police officer was patrolling the streets of Rosenburg Saturday when he noticed a young boy playing ball by himself. He decided to do something about it.

The officer can be seen in a dash-camera video stopping his car and it appears he says a few words to the boy, who walks off screen.

The next thing you see is the kid running, attempting to catch the football the officer has just tossed for him. The child returns the ball to the officer, who then tosses the kid another pass.

The two appear to play catch for a bit, reportedly as part of efforts by authorities to reach out young people in the community.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
"efforts by authorities to reach out to young people..."
cop initiates the incident.
video is the cop's dash cam.

Hmmm...

onus

A few thoughts......

The cop is a good guy because his department issued a mandate to play with kids and he followed orders.

I play with kids all the time and I do it for free. I even give them spare equipment like basketballs, footballs, tennis raquets.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm sure the tax-victims of Rosenburg, TX will be gratified to know the police are spending time and money on public-relations with minors.

Perhaps the same officer could write an essay calling for the abolition of the Blue Wall of Silence; and, get it published nationally.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Just musing out loud:

What would have happened if the kid had stumbled and been injured trying to catch a bad pass?

Police are allowed to interact with minors without parental awareness? Way too many things to go wrong, even with the best intentions.

@Primus: Bigots? For being skeptical? Is that your cop dichotomy kicking in? I thought you were above that.

Last edited:

Primus

Just musing out loud:

What would have happened if the kid had stumbled and been injured trying to catch a bad pass?

Police are allowed to interact with minors without parental awareness? Way too many things to go wrong, even with the best intentions.

@Primus: Bigots? For being skeptical? Is that your cop dichotomy kicking in? I thought you were above that.

For being skeptical that a police officer happens to stop and throw a ball with a kid? Correct.

I stopped this past summer and play designate qb for about 10 for a group of kids. No dash cam and no "orders" from higher. I happen to be a father and enjoy playing sports with kids.

To be "skeptical" solely based on a persons occupation is the epitome of bigotry. What the video was of a plumber throwing a ball? A Comcast guy at a installation? It would NEVER illicit this type of "skepticism". It would never be "oh the plumbing company orders them to do it!" Or "dashcam on Comcast it was staged!"

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Primus

It was the same for the video posted of the positive OC encounter. The cup stopped and talked to the guys outside the store.

Half the guys here said hey good on them for being so decent.... the other half were pissed about the blue lights being on or any thing they could find. Even though the dudes in the video were happy.

This probably made this kids friggin week. He got to throw a ball around with a cop. He knew the guy was working and he stopped. I wonder whtbthat kid wants to be when he grows up..... 100 says not a Comcast guy ( no offense to them)

Freedom1Man

It was the same for the video posted of the positive OC encounter. The cup stopped and talked to the guys outside the store.

Half the guys here said hey good on them for being so decent.... the other half were pissed about the blue lights being on or any thing they could find. Even though the dudes in the video were happy.

This probably made this kids friggin week. He got to throw a ball around with a cop. He knew the guy was working and he stopped. I wonder whtbthat kid wants to be when he grows up..... 100 says not a Comcast guy ( no offense to them)

OC encounters are almost ALWAYS unwanted. The only positive OC encounters with officers are ones that I've initiated.

All others have been unwanted, and thus, negative.

The child in this video wanted someone to play catch with.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Anybody notice how the statists are gung-ho on kids--until they grow up. Then its tax, tax, tax, regulate, regulate, regulate. Same person, just older.

Ten years from now that kid in the OP will be fodder for DUI roadblocks, pretext stops, etc., etc, etc.

But, today, Mr. Policeman is playing ball with him.

If he had a heart, that cop would take the kid aside and say, "Hey, Timmy. Let me tell you how it really is with some police officers..."

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
For being skeptical that a police officer happens to stop and throw a ball with a kid? Correct.

I stopped this past summer and play designate qb for about 10 for a group of kids. No dash cam and no "orders" from higher. I happen to be a father and enjoy playing sports with kids.

To be "skeptical" solely based on a persons occupation is the epitome of bigotry. ...

Where do you get the assumption that I care this was a cop? I'd have been just as skeptical if it had been ANY person who's agency had told him to reach out to young people, and then he happened to get himself on his own dash cam playing ball.

I give you a LOT of fair play here. You earned it. But you are way wrong making assumptions about why I show there is cause for skepticism.

Stick to the facts I bring up and stop trying to impute motives.

So, I ask again. What would have happened had this kid been injured while this cop was playing with him without his parent's knowing about it?

Fuller Malarkey

Primus

Where do you get the assumption that I care this was a cop? I'd have been just as skeptical if it had been ANY person who's agency had told him to reach out to young people, and then he happened to get himself on his own dash cam playing ball.

I give you a LOT of fair play here. You earned it. But you are way wrong making assumptions about why I show there is cause for skepticism.

Stick to the facts I bring up and stop trying to impute motives.

So, I ask again. What would have happened had this kid been injured while this cop was playing with him without his parent's knowing about it?

Mac are you sure he did it was because he was ordered to? It says "effort to reach out to young people" doesn't say it was mandatory order at roll call " go stage a ball throw with a kid". We don't k kw either way. The guy could have made it a stunt or the guy could have really just wanted to throw the ball.

Also the youth is a huge part of community policing. The youth are some of the most dangerous (like 15-21) and susceptible to gangs, drugs, etc. They should be focused on.

I do apologize if tour NOT just being skeptical because its police. I mean that. I jumped to that conclusion based on many of the comments not just yours. Again if that's not your stance/motivation then I'm wrong and I apologize.

If that kid would have been hurt I have no idea. I would hope nothing would happen. It was a nice gesture to stop and help the kid. The kid was happy. Not sure why we aren't focusing on that portion. The kid was happy so why is anyone else upset?

Primus

Also... anyone think maybe the camera was like in case the did get hurt or something happened? As like a cya so he could say "look IRS on video I didn't do (insert evil accusation)"

JoeSparky

Centurion
Also... anyone think maybe the camera was like in case the did get hurt or something happened? As like a cya so he could say "look IRS on video I didn't do (insert evil accusation)"

Are YOU really asking us to speculate as to WHY this officer choose to have this camera activated while he participated in this activity?

Freedom1Man

The camera is the only reason it looks staged. If there had been a complaint against the officer the recording would have been no where to be found....

Or there would never have been a camera or the camera would have been broken/stopped working/out of storage space and did not catch the encounter.....