• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seeking input on complaint to customer service

HareTigger

Below is my letter to Powell's Books in Portland. I am RATHER annoyed with how they treat open carriers, but am so close to the event that I would appreciate objective comments on what I've written before I send it. THANKS!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was in Powell's City of Books on Saturday, intending to spend money there as I ALWAYS do when I travel to Portland. I usually spend hundreds of dollars while there. However, your treatment of another customer has left me with a bad taste in my mouth and my money still in my pocket. I am now considering whether or not I should ever return to your store.

The situation was that this other customer was carrying a pistol in a holster on his side, something that is perfectly legal anywhere in the State of Oregon, including Portland. I know this because I have an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. As a single female, for my safety, I always carry a pistol on my person and was carrying concealed that day. I also always appreciate seeing open carriers because they are KNOWN to deter crime. The only difference between the way I was carrying and that gentleman, is that you had NO IDEA that I had a loaded pistol in your store. One of your clerks called the police on the other customer, treating him as a criminal even though he was not behaving in a hostile manner, as per the call that was issued by the police dispatcher. I know this because I heard him say something to that effect to the woman he was with. They then replaced the books they had selected to purchase and calmly left the store.

I realize that as a private business you have the right to refuse service to anyone you wish, but in line with your Community page and your commitment “to the strength of a well-informed community” and support of “civil rights causes”, you might want to pull the following book off your own shelf and not only read it but train your employees as well: “Understanding Oregons Gun Laws Updated” by Kevin Starrett, ISBN13: 9780977493920 and ISBN10: 097749392x. You might want to hurry as you have only one left in stock. The books is apparently quite popular. It probably wouldn't hurt to refresh your knowledge of our Constitution and the civil right that follows the first amendment: the right to keep and bear arms.

Not only did you lose those sales that day, but you may have lost all of my future business. I can guarantee that I will share this experience with every person I know who respects individual rights. Had you simply asked that gentleman to leave your store, I would have been less offended though still pondering any need to spend my money with you. As it is, I found that your company has now been listed on the friendorfoe.us web page. Whether it remains there as a foe or reverses that negative and becomes a friend, is up to you.

Is it your company's policy to infringe upon the civil rights of citizens simply because it makes other people uncomfortable? Is it your store policy to discriminate? Or do you simply choose to employ people who are ignorant of our Constitutionally protected rights as American citizens?

langenc

Good for youon several counts!!

Only one thing left to do. Next time your in Portland and buy several books, take em by that store and show the owner/manager what business he lost!!

SKN

Very appropriate! Are you aware that a member here, We-the-People, was the OC'er you described according to his account of his activities this past weekend in the Open Carry Report of this forum? I'm sure he'd appreciate hearing from you.

HareTigger

Very appropriate! Are you aware that a member here, We-the-People, was the OC'er you described according to his account of his activities this past weekend in the Open Carry Report of this forum? I'm sure he'd appreciate hearing from you.

Very astute of you, SKN. ;)

nilla

a little snarky at the last sentence of the third paragraph. i like it, but they might not

be sure to include your contact info on the actual letter and ask them to get back to you.
then follow up with who ever you send it to, and their boss.

i've gotten good response out of district and general managers. store managers are often too involved with the events and are sometimes just as brainwashed as the store employees that called the cops. but just a little higher on the chain is up enough that they get the big picture, but not too high that they are too important to care about 'just one customer'

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Nicely done. As a frequent traveler to Oregon, I don't see many OC'ers, but I hope that changes more and more.

Is open carry legal in Portland if you have the license?

We-the-People

Nicely done. As a frequent traveler to Oregon, I don't see many OC'ers, but I hope that changes more and more.

Is open carry legal in Portland if you have the license?

YES

Open Carry in Oregon (with an Oregon CHL) has very few limitations. Federal facilities (Post Office, airports at/past TSA grope point, military recruiters offices, federal park buildings, etc.) court facilities (specific definition), jails, and not much else.

HOWEVER, note my "signature" line at the bottom of my posts.

Gunhobbit

YES

Open Carry in Oregon (with an Oregon CHL) has very few limitations. Federal facilities (Post Office, airports at/past TSA grope point, military recruiters offices, federal park buildings, etc.) court facilities (specific definition), jails, and not much else.

HOWEVER, note my "signature" line at the bottom of my posts.

Some* court facilities. Check your local rules to see if your court is one of those or not.

*maybe even "most." But check your local court rules for the final word. :)

Last edited:

We-the-People

Some* court facilities. Check your local rules to see if your court is one of those or not.

*maybe even "most." But check your local court rules for the final word. :)

Don't want to hijack to post so if we are to continue this, we should start a new thread.

Per ORS 155.360 (2)
(2) “Court facility” means a courthouse or that portion of any other building occupied by a circuit court, the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court or the Oregon Tax Court or occupied by personnel related to the operations of those courts, or in which activities related to the operations of those courts take place.

Note that MUNICIPAL COURTS are not included in the definition of "Court Facility". They are under the "public building" definition, therefore a CHL is required, but the are not under the definition of a "Court Facility". If it is located within a courthouse where other courts or court personnel work then it might be off limits due to the OTHER courts presence.

In my experience, most municipal courts are located within a CITY building.

HareTigger

a little snarky at the last sentence of the third paragraph. i like it, but they might not

be sure to include your contact info on the actual letter and ask them to get back to you.
then follow up with who ever you send it to, and their boss.

i've gotten good response out of district and general managers. store managers are often too involved with the events and are sometimes just as brainwashed as the store employees that called the cops. but just a little higher on the chain is up enough that they get the big picture, but not too high that they are too important to care about 'just one customer'

Your comment that the letter was a bit "snarky" at the end is exactly why I sought another opinion. I was feeling VERY snarky as I wrote it, so am a bit too close to see it objectively. Thank you for your input!

solus

as pointed out by nilla...the store manager can not affect or effect change so i would address your comments to a general or district or CEO level person instead of the store manager. this way it has a chance of moving down the food chain verses ending up in the trash can.

ipse

Last edited:

nilla

as pointed out by nilla...the store manager can not affect or effect change so i would address your comments to a general or district or CEO level person instead of the store manager. this way it has a chance of moving down the food chain verses ending up in the trash can.

ipse
The store manager COULD do something. If you want to give him the chance to OR try to let him fall on his own sword; send him the letter first, and give it a week. Then go buy those books if you allready haven't and keep your receipt.
If you write the store manager the same thing, when (and I assume they would) he throws it away, they will get hammered even more so from their bosses boss with 'why didn't you bring this up?' When you bring it to their attention. All you have to do is add a ps to the district managers letter saying that you got stuffed by the store manager when you brought it up to them.

Attaching copies of your receipts from other book stores/Amazon will show them that you are serious and that they have lost your business recently, if not forever.