Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: OC lunch/dinner: what works best for you?

  1. #1
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648

    OC lunch/dinner: what works best for you?

    I'm starting this thread with the hopes that we (Arizonan OCers and other armed LACs) can have an informal get-together sometime this year before the formal big get-together that is the AZCDL annual meeting of members. "What's the difference?" I hear you say. The biggest difference would be that this informal gathering would just be a picnic, lunch, or dinner without any organizational sponsor. Really just some Freedom-loving individuals coming together with like-minded individuals.

    Another thought that occurred to me was the possibility of inviting on-the-fence or even anti gun "representatives" to attend. Maybe if they are exposed to guns and armed LACs, they'll realize the folly of their ways.

    Without looking at the stars, I surmise the most central location would probably be Phoenix.
    Also, if we can set aside a date AFTER the legislature convenes, we may get a few more "yeah, I can make that" responses from them.

    So, what day would work best for everyone?

    And when does the legislative session end?


    By the way, this is the thread that finally inspired me to start this thread:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...75#post2027475
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 01-20-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Legislative session end date
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  2. #2
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Good idea Rusty.

    I would suggest doing a couple of picnics at the park adjacent to the capitol while they are in session. If they're one thing I've learned its this: politician's love a free lunch/dinner & even better when lots of people and cameras are there to take notice of them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  3. #3
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Good idea Rusty.

    I would suggest doing a couple of picnics at the park adjacent to the capitol while they are in session. If they're one thing I've learned its this: politician's love a free lunch/dinner & even better when lots of people and cameras are there to take notice of them.
    I like that idea: Picnics for Patriots!

    Since I'm still relatively new to the whole activist scene (supporter for years, though), what day would get the most politicians' attention/in attendance? I do not kid when I say I've no idea what days of the week they are legislating.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  4. #4
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Well we don't want to put the cart in front of the horse. I think once enough people expressed interest..then work with some of the very wise people at AzCDL to get their suggestions. If something like this was to happen, given enough notice I maybe able to provide a ride to and from the event for you. Haven't gone slumming in Tucson in some time...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  5. #5
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648

    If I post it, will they come?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    SNIP...Well we don't want to put the cart in front of the horse. I think once enough people expressed interest..then work with some of the very wise people at AzCDL to get their suggestions.
    Alright, I see what you mean. But I also found this little nugget:

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    SNIP...Where? When?

    You know the mantra - "If you post it they will come." And the collorary - "If you debate about when and where it will never happen."
    In that spirit, I think I can begin to narrow down the 5 Ws (and how). Please forgive any mistakes or roughness around the adges of my sad first attempt at coordinating an OC get-together:

    Picnic(s?) for Patriots! (yeah, this is the best I could come up with; no one has mentioned any other names, but suggestions for a better title are appreciated)

    *Who: OCers, other armed LACs, RKBA supporters, family (it is a social gathering, after all), and hopefully some elected representatives on the fence or on the other side of the fence (we want discourse, after all).

    *What: An OC/armed LAC picnic. Atmosphere would be casual to business casual, and would be more of an informal get-together than a true "sponsored" event. Also, it may be warm, so light colors and sunblock may offer more protection from the sun's cancer-causing rays (UV rays, that is).

    *Where: In Phoenix, near the state Capitol (which is at 1700 W. Washington St.). Oberlin Memorial Park immediately East of the Capitol (seeing as it is a veterans' memorial, I'm sure defending our Freedoms via civil discourse with our state legislators is a good way to honour their sacrifice).

    *When: Wednesday, the 19th of March, 3-6 pm (I will be arriving at the park with my family around 2 pm; I realize weekdays might not be the best for everyone but this is when the legislature is around).

    *Why: To give our representatives exposure to armed LACs and OC, hopefully answer any questions they pose (help them differentiate facts from rhetoric), and to show our support for the Freedom to Keep and Bear Arms.

    *How: By combining our love for civil discourse, analysis of facts, effective means of self defense, and the dispelling of myths, we can promote lawful carry of LACs in everyday Arizonan life (hopefully life in general). That being said, lawful carry, strict adherence to the four (3) rules of gun safety, proper muzzle control, and bringing of something to share with the group (besides an appetite for discourse) will be appreciated.

    One last quick note: please come prepared with some solid sound bites for discourse. Things that really point out the flaws in so-called "gun control".
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 03-11-2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Update on 11 March
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  6. #6
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Alright guys, I'm hoping for the week of March 17th, one day among four (Monday-Thursday).

    Anyone feel really strongly about any one of those four days?
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  7. #7
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Alright guys, I'm hoping for the week of March 17th, one day among four (Monday-Thursday).

    Anyone feel really strongly about any one of those four days?
    What city are we talking about? Arizona is a pretty big place
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  8. #8
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    What city are we talking about? Arizona is a pretty big place
    What was that about R&R I mentioned before?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    *Where: In Phoenix, near the state Capitol (which is at 1700 W. Washington St.). It would be either Oberlin Memorial Park immediately East of the Capitol (not sure if that is permissible/tasteful, seeing as it is a veterans' memorial) or Library Park just two blocks East (not sure if that is permissible either, but time will tell).
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  9. #9
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Doh....

    ETA - I think any of the parks mentioned would be fine. As to veterans park & being tasteful to carry or not there - one would think those who gave so much to ensure we were able to keep or freedom & rights, would be happy to see them being used by the generations after them.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 03-04-2014 at 04:20 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  10. #10
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648

    Mark your calendars!

    Alright everyone, the date and time is set! Now, nobody has mentioned what they'd want to bring (besides your lawfully-carried EDC), so I hope we can get a little bit of that going on. Grilling and flames are prohibited unless you file for an event and buy insurance (not looking to do either for this event), so I will bring a few bags of chips (everyone likes original Doritos and Ruffles, right?). I can also bring some cold water, juices, and sodas as well. Cups are a no-brainer.


    Picnic(s?) for Patriots! (yeah, this is the best I could come up with; no one has mentioned any other names, but suggestions for a better title are appreciated)

    *Who: OCers, other armed LACs, RKBA supporters, family (it is a social gathering, after all), and hopefully some elected representatives on the fence or on the other side of the fence (we want discourse, after all).

    *What: An OC/armed LAC picnic. Atmosphere would be casual to business casual, and would be more of an informal get-together than a true "sponsored" event. Also, it may be warm, so light colors and sunblock may offer more protection from the sun's cancer-causing rays (UV rays, that is).

    *Where: In Phoenix, near the state Capitol (which is at 1700 W. Washington St.). Oberlin Memorial Park immediately East of the Capitol (seeing as it is a veterans' memorial, I'm sure defending our Freedoms via civil discourse with our state legislators is a good way to honour their sacrifice).

    *When: Wednesday, the 19th of March, 3-6 pm (I will be arriving at the park with my family around 2 pm; I realize weekdays might not be the best for everyone but this is when the legislature is around).

    *Why: To give our representatives exposure to armed LACs and OC, hopefully answer any questions they pose (help them differentiate facts from rhetoric), and to show our support for the Freedom to Keep and Bear Arms.

    *How: By combining our love for civil discourse, analysis of facts, effective means of self defense, and the dispelling of myths, we can promote lawful carry of LACs in everyday Arizonan life (hopefully life in general). That being said, lawful carry, strict adherence to the four (3) rules of gun safety, proper muzzle control, and bringing of something to share with the group (besides an appetite for discourse) will be appreciated.

    One last quick note: please come prepared with some solid sound bites for discourse. Things that really point out the flaws in so-called "gun control".
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 03-13-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Update on grill, 13 March
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  11. #11
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Rusty - as usual your grit is admired. A weeks notice though maybe a tough one for many, especially since school is still in session until mid may. I will do my very best to make it but, it would be towards the end as my little one doesn't get out of school until 3:30pm and it's over an hour drive for me in rush hour traffic.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 03-12-2014 at 03:04 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  12. #12
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    I understand. Planning wasn't the best, nervousness didn't help, and my schedule this semester is a bit more dense than I expected it to be (on paper, it all made sense last fall).

    My spring break doesn't start til this Friday, but spring break for grade-high schools seems to be this very week. So I figure that will play into it.

    Regardless, I love the park, the new memorial is quite impressive (can you imagine the boom that once came out of those two guns?), and it's not like I need an excuse to OC.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  13. #13
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    *BUMP*
    See you guys on Wednesday at Bolin Memorial Plaza from 3-6 pm.

    I'll be the guy wearing a cap with guns on it, and I'll probably be gawking at the newest addition to the plaza (the two impossible-to-miss guns signifying the beginning and end of WWII).

    If everyone can bring something in a picnic basket, as well as family, it'd be much appreciated. The more, the merrier.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  14. #14
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Well - I'm doing my best to recruit some family and my little one will be along too. So hopefully a few others from the forums will make it? Always, nice to meet fellow freedom loving citizens.

    PS - anyone going to prepperfest? If so, see you there
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 03-17-2014 at 03:26 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •