• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What did you see at Lobby Day?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Maybe he could run as Commonwealth's attorney. That position has been mentally vacant for YEARS.

I can see FB running in the court room now....flapping his arms and yelling, "Your Honor, there are UNarmed men outside":lol::lol:

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Lobby Day Wrap Up

Snipped from Va-Alert.

WE DID WHAT WE CAME TO DO, BUT WITHOUT THE ATTENDANCE WE HAD HOPED FOR

Estimated attendance numbers for Lobby Day were around 600, with about 400 or so at the rally. While most groups would give their right arm for that kind of attendance, for us it was disappointing.

The antis brought in several buses loaded with teenagers to pad their numbers for their rally at 2 PM. That brought their number of attendees nearly as high as ours and that should never happen, even with tricks like that. I was disappointed that between the threat we now face since the elections, and with such a beautiful day, that we couldn’t have easily mustered 2,000 or more. VCDL has 6,000 members, 26,000 VA-ALERT subscribers. There are 330,000 CHP holders and 1,000,000 gun owners in Virginia. Where were so many of you?

builtjeep

Can we organize a gun show on the lawn by the bell tower? We'd have at least 10k show up for that :uhoh: Instead of stamping hands on entry, stick a GSL sticker on them. The anti's would slip their lids for real........

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Can we organize a gun show on the lawn by the bell tower? We'd have at least 10k show up for that :uhoh: Instead of stamping hands on entry, stick a GSL sticker on them. The anti's would slip their lids for real........
Sounds like a fun event.

Will you provide free admission & free parking? There will be those that look for a reason to not attend. 26,000 on Va-Alert minus 600 at Lobby Day....where were the other 25,400?

Perhaps hunters can receive the discount already being applied elsewhere :uhoh: That group has a very large and diverse base which is often ignored.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Thanks for asking.
1st, I would like to volunteer to assist with photography at any event I may be needed. One of my hobbies is photography, I have modest but acceptable equipment and I do have limited experience with photography for weddings, fundraisers, cycling, etc. I'm rather passionate about photography.
2nd. I see that there is a consistent need to volunteers at the VCDL table at gun shows. I'm throwing my name in the hat for this. Richmond, Fredericksburg, Doswell would be close to home. Hampton/Newport News would be a stretch for me. I have limited time off on weekends but when I can get the time off, I'm available.
3rd. Social Networking
4th. I don't know if it's needed. But I am willing to do grunt work. Visit places. Hand out flyers. Create mailers. Hell, whatever it takes. Design bumper stickers. Lick stamps (i'd use a sponge).
5th. Finally move to Surry County and run for Sheriff. :D

Pretty much the same goes for me, only in Northern Virginia. Oh, and I don't think running for Sheriff anywhere is in my future, but as for the rest? Use me.

The Wolfhound

What did I see?

A disapointing turnout. :cry: The surprising lack of the Kabuki Dance at the door: no wanding! :confused: A delegate and legislative aid in their offices who REFUSED to see our team and REFUSED the legislative packet: Futrell. :mad: After several pleasant encounters over the last few years with antis, that left me in shock! I wish we had had a constituant in our group. I saw the usual suspects, I am begining to think I know most of our community and it may be smaller than I wish. I was surprised at the lack of other groups lobbying. The halls and elevators were not nearly as crowded as I recall form other years. I wish I had seen the owl.:lol:

Marco

SNIP/slight edit
Their "background checks save lives" is a clever farse. I would counter with a sticker that says "registration = confiscation", that's the reality (confiscation) of what the antis are working for .

Excellent

"Background checks don't work"

Going to look into getting stickers made for both

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A disapointing turnout. :cry: The surprising lack of the Kabuki Dance at the door: no wanding! :confused: A delegate and legislative aid in their offices who REFUSED to see our team and REFUSED the legislative packet: Futrell. :mad: After several pleasant encounters over the last few years with antis, that left me in shock! I wish we had had a constituant in our group. I saw the usual suspects, I am begining to think I know most of our community and it may be smaller than I wish. I was surprised at the lack of other groups lobbying. The halls and elevators were not nearly as crowded as I recall form other years. I wish I had seen the owl.:lol:

I only went in to the CHP check line to video so I don't know what the inside crowd was. My initial take from outside was that in was slow. Seemed to pick up but there was nowhere the hustle bustle of earlier years.

FBrinson

I must have been in the same group as you. We stood outside Futrell's door for about 30 mins or so. Were you in the group with the fat guy in a black jacket blue shirt and tie carrying a big ol' camera and little ol' Model 10? (that was me :D)

The Wolfhound

It is possible.....

I must have been in the same group as you. We stood outside Futrell's door for about 30 mins or so. Were you in the group with the fat guy in a black jacket blue shirt and tie carrying a big ol' camera and little ol' Model 10? (that was me :D)

If your team leader was wearing a navy blazer and a red turtleneck and sporting a sticker sized "Guns Save Lives" button, that was me. We visited Senators Colgan and Cosgrove, Delegates McQuin, Futrell, O'Bannon, Lupassi and one other whose name escapes me at this early hour. Bearing my own resemblance to Santa Claus, I never point the finger (besides, that can be dangerously interpreted, right, Skid?) about "fat".:lol:

sidestreet

Whether you thought our presence was large enough or not…,

I have to say that it was one of the most successful Lobby Days I've been to in terms of actually making contact with legislators and discussing our issues. My team leaders were great, well spoken as well as informed. I was very impressed by my teammates and their knowledge. My team leaders were from the tidewater region and one of my teammates also. The others were from the Fairfax area, great guys and i hope to see them again. One of my teammates brought along "Suzie" the service canine who was an instant hit with everyone. She was at the dinner also. I look forward to meeting up with all of them again sometime somewhere.

We also met with one legislator that was concerned about some wordage on the VCDL questionnaire, so he called to ask for some clarification, he basically said that the person he talked to seemed to say either answer it or don't. He didn't, but wanted to, and would still like to make his position known to our cause. I think it might have been handled a little better, he sounds like someone we want on our side. He sounds like someone who wants to be on our side. I don't know the whole story, and YMMV.

On another note, and if I got this correct, one of my teammates said that the Capitol Police officer that he had contact with at the CHP line kept asking him if he had "a driver's license", and he kept saying "Yes.", but never gave him one. We had a good chuckle about that.

Looking forward to next year and bringing some others with me.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

zoom6zoom

I also was a bit disappointed with the turnout, considering the results of the last election. It did seem to me that we had a greater number of women and kids in the group than I have seen previously, which is a good thing.
Sorry I didn't see some of you in the crowd... easy to find me in the crowd pic, I'm wearing the yellow RSO ballcap.

hafnhaf

i was there with my wife, but one kid had to work and the other is in college. i talked it up at work for the last few weeks, but nobody was interested. and i know that the ones i talked to are gun owners...

jethro1200

Agreed

"We Need To Stop Fighting Each Other And Start Fighting The Antis!!"

We sure could have used many more gun people. I hope that next year there will be a better turn out, that is if we still have any rights left.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
"We Need To Stop Fighting Each Other And Start Fighting The Antis!!"

We sure could have used many more gun people. I hope that next year there will be a better turn out, that is if we still have any rights left.

That's true Jethro....

Now define anti for me?

Or as the head of a gun organization once PM'ed to me "What is this we stuff white man"

Last edited: