Thread: examiner.com - ‘Snowlection’ to decide control of Va. Senate, fate of gun rights bill

Moderator / Administrator

examiner.com - ‘Snowlection’ to decide control of Va. Senate, fate of gun rights bill

http://www.examiner.com/article/snow...hts-bills-2014

SNIP

Almost 600 gun rights activists swarmed the Virginia General Assembly Building and Capital Square grounds on Martin Luther King Day to lobby legislators and rally for expanded gun rights. The annual lobby event was organized by the Virginia citizens Defense League (VCDL).

VCDL was buoyed by last week’s rejection of anti-gun bills by the House of Delegates. But all eyes are now on tomorrow’s special election for a state Senator to represent the 33d District in Fairfax and Loudoun Counties.

. . .

As all of Virginia waits for the 33d District to vote, the National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning that remains in effect from 7 am to 11 pm EST on Tuesday 21 January, as voters head to the polls. The candidates consist of John Whitbeck (R) who stated today on WMAL radio that he supports Second Amendment rights, Jennifer Wexton (D) who, according to WMAL news radio, has rented a room on the a home in the 33d District so that in case she wins the election she can say she lives in the 33d District, and Joe May (I) who lost his House of Delegate seat earlier this year during the primary election.

I just got back from voting in Herndon #2. Surprised how busy it was, I think the machine said I was the 210th voter or so.

Looks like according to twitter, Wexton has won. Also, WaPo

http://m.washingtonpost.com/local/vi...aaf_story.html

Wonder what the long term ramifications will be.
    Last edited by george11c; 01-21-2014 at 10:11 PM.
    "If I don't deserve the credit, then why do I deserve the blame?" - Peacemaker by The Steeldrivers

Quote Originally Posted by george11c View Post
    Wonder what the long term ramifications will be.
    Barring the discovery of 10 votes for Coleman in the 6th Senate District, it mean that the Senate will be 20-20 with the Democrat Lt. Gov holding the tie breaking vote. My guess is the biggest difference would be at the committee level, i.e. what gets a fair hearing and what doesn't.