• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado proposal would require pre-marriage education classes

OC for ME

Not RKBA, but...
A California group has proposed a ballot initiative in Colorado that would require couples who want to get married to take mandatory pre-marriage education classes.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...marriage-education-classes/?intcmp=latestnews
Sound familiar. If Colorado mandates training for marriages, civil unions would be excluded, then gun ownership could be predicated on a requirement to be trained. 10 hours for your first firearm, 20 for the second, and 30 for the third and subsequent firearms. If you lose a firearm you would due to theft then your next firearm would be treated as if it was your first.

Though, if the firearm is a rental, then it would be excluded from the training requirement.

eye95

Another example of a state who thinks it can create a privilege out of the voluntary actions of individuals.

Licensed marriage IS, by the very fact that it is licensed, a privilege. You can marry a pig and call it your wife if you want to. That marriage will simply not be recognized by the State and your relationship with the pig won't enjoy any legal standing any different than the that of a relationship of any other man living in sin with his pig.

OC for ME

A tax cut for completing the training, that the couple pays for out of pocket. It's for the children. Civil unions would not bear such a burden.

The proponents appeal to emotion is widespread and indiscriminate. The bribe is obvious. The detractors voice one common theme, the government should not be in the marriage business.

Why are civil unions exempted is the key question.

sudden valley gunner

A tax cut for completing the training, that the couple pays for out of pocket. It's for the children. Civil unions would not bear such a burden.

The proponents appeal to emotion is widespread and indiscriminate. The bribe is obvious. The detractors voice one common theme, the government should not be in the marriage business.

Why are civil unions exempted is the key question.

+1

What business does the state have in creating a privilege? Especially one based on tradition/religion/custom.

Especially when you consider the history of state issued "license" to marriage.

PistolPackingMomma

+1

What business does the state have in creating a privilege? Especially one based on tradition/religion/custom.

Especially when you consider the history of state issued "license" to marriage.

Business? None. Interest? Plenty...

It's not far fetched to assume the government wants to become the sole provider/owner of *everything* for its citizens. If there is a way to profit from or exploit a service, you can be sure they either own it, control it or have shares in it.

Medicine, marriage, intoxicants, guns, hunting, farming, entrepreneurship, construction, transport, property use, etc...

WalkingWolf

Licensed marriage IS, by the very fact that it is licensed, a privilege. You can marry a pig and call it your wife if you want to. That marriage will simply not be recognized by the State and your relationship with the pig won't enjoy any legal standing any different than the that of a relationship of any other man living in sin with his pig.

But Bill Clinton's marriage was recognized...

DrakeZ07

I love how the str8s are uppity about one state contemplating marriage counseling prior to marriage. No one seems to mind that you're treated the same way prior to getting a concealed carry license.

Hey, if you don't want to take marriage counseling in Colorado, to get married, then don't plan to get married in Colorado... You could always go to a different state that offers councilor-free marriage.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Business? None. Interest? Plenty...

It's not far fetched to assume the government wants to become the sole provider/owner of *everything* for its citizens. If there is a way to profit from or exploit a service, you can be sure they either own it, control it or have shares in it.

Medicine, marriage, intoxicants, guns, hunting, farming, entrepreneurship, construction, transport, property use, etc...

+1 and why I think the trend of courts ruling in "states interest" is a horrible abomination.

I love how the str8s are uppity about one state contemplating marriage counseling prior to marriage. No one seems to mind that you're treated the same way prior to getting a concealed carry license.

Hey, if you don't want to take marriage counseling in Colorado, to get married, then don't plan to get married in Colorado... You could always go to a different state that offers councilor-free marriage.

Interesting use of bigoted phrasing.

Being "straight" has nothing to do with it. Nice try though.

SFCRetired

I always thought that a marriage license should be just like your driver's license; first, you get a learner's permit good for one year. Then you get a license that must be renewed every four or five years. Would sure cut down on a lot of divorces.:lol:

Seriously, I've said it before: Marriage consists of two components. One is a civil contract that religion has no business interfering with and that should be binding between consenting adults. The other is a religious sacrament that the government has no business interfering with.

The various religious bodies can determine whether or not they want to perform same-gender ceremonies or not.

It would seem to me that the First Amendment would prohibit both the federal and the state governments from passing laws restricting the right to form a civil contract based upon religious principles. But the federal government outlawed polygamy, a breach of the First Amendment, and the various states outlawed same-gender civil contracts which, to me, is another such violation.

One other point: If the civil contract portion of marriage is not, in fact, a civil contract, then why are we required to go to court to dissolve that contract?

OC for ME

Gays can always go to a state that recognizes gay marriage if your state does not.

eye95

Gays can always go to a state that recognizes gay marriage if your state does not.

However, upon return to the State that does not recognize homosexual marriage, that State will not have to recognize it, nor will one's employer, absent a law or ordinance requiring that recognition.

OC for ME

However, upon return to the State that does not recognize homosexual marriage, that State will not have to recognize it, nor will one's employer, absent a law or ordinance requiring that recognition.
True, and thus getting married in a state that does not mandate training may not be recognized in the state that does mandate training. Just as a CCW permit that does not require training to obtain may not be recognized in a state that does require training to obtain a CCW permit.

UC, and UM, is the goal.

eye95

I am OK with licensed marriage--and it being heterosexual and monogamous (and no animals). As had been ruled in NY, the State has a compelling interest in promoting a family structure that has a father and a mother. Therefore recognizing that relationship in an official way is a reasonable function of State government. It left open the possibility that the State could recognize and promote other relationships, but ruled that licensing only heterosexual and monogamous (and human) marriage was not unconstitutional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

sudden valley gunner

I am OK with licensed marriage--and it being heterosexual and monogamous (and no animals). As had been ruled in NY, the State has a compelling interest in promoting a family structure that has a father and a mother. Therefore recognizing that relationship in an official way is a reasonable function of State government. It left open the possibility that the State could recognize and promote other relationships, but ruled that licensing only heterosexual and monogamous (and human) marriage was not unconstitutional.

<o>

I recognize individual liberty and that a state is created to protect those.