Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: "Weapons Permit Badge" while open carrying?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    104

    "Weapons Permit Badge" while open carrying?

    Does anyone carry a badge, like a police badge that says "weapons permit Connecticut" on it, while they're open carrying displayed near their weapon.

    Is having a badge that says weapons permit Connecticut legal to wear. Now I'm not law-enforcement officer bashing but a lot of cops think there high-speed with their badges and their guns, And having a badge that says permit holder may attract attention, And could invite hostile intentions from the individual going outside the bounds of his job to stop you.

    Does anyone on the thread have a badge that says Connecticut pistol permit holder and display the badge as they open carry. And if you do what are some of the interactions that you had with that particular badge?

    I read a couple of accounts and other sites that say people Permit holders that carry badges have actually been more aggressively treated by the police because they don't like the fact that you have a badge to.LOL

    Thanks in advance for any replies!
    Last edited by Good Citizen; 01-21-2014 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Grammar

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,147
    CCW badges are a not infrequent topic here on OCDO and universally disparaged as cop-wannabe. Up in the top right corner of the page as presented to me is a search box and an advanced search option. A site search with an external search engine has also proven effective.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    CCW badges are a not infrequent topic here on OCDO and universally disparaged as cop-wannabe. Up in the top right corner of the page as presented to me is a search box and an advanced search option. A site search with an external search engine has also proven effective.

    Connecticut has no CCW, Prerequisite. Open carrying Connecticut is perfectly legal I'm just wondering whether a badge in Connecticut has attracted more law-enforcement or people don't call law-enforcement because they simply see the shiny badge and am wonding about people's experiences in Connecticut. I generally stay in the Connecticut thread because that's where I live so I really don't care With the same type of energy ,what is happening in other states though some of the information may be useful and I thank you.

    The cop disparaging wana- be comment you made is the reason I am inquiring to see if law-enforcement acts more aggressively if you have your own purchased badge.

    Thanks for the tip on the search!

  4. #4
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,271
    Not just NO! but Helll NO!
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Who and why would anyone want a piece of tin to imply legitimacy?

    The "badge" has no legal status and only will lead the ignorant to think you are a LEO.

    Rather than deter a LEO from checking you out, it will attract his attention. Be sure he will give you the opportunity to imply or confirm that you are impersonating a police officer.

    At one time, I had to wear a badge. Now I'm not and I won't.

    Common response from this forum is "We don't need no steekin' badges."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Who and why would anyone want a piece of tin to imply legitimacy?
    Apparently government thinks it implies legitimacy when it hands one out to a member of its punitive caste.

    That's not to say a citizen should wear one. I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with officialdom by wearing one.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-21-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  7. #7
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Since it can lead to charges of impersonating an officer, which in some states is a felony (loss of 2A rights), why would you WANT to wear one?

    I'd rather get the average person used to seeing another average person being lawfully armed, rather than reinforce the idea that only police should be allowed to have defensive tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Who and why would anyone want a piece of tin to imply legitimacy?

    The "badge" has no legal status and only will lead the ignorant to think you are a LEO.

    Rather than deter a LEO from checking you out, it will attract his attention. Be sure he will give you the opportunity to imply or confirm that you are impersonating a police officer.

    At one time, I had to wear a badge. Now I'm not and I won't.

    Common response from this forum is "We don't need no steekin' badges."
    So you're saying...that going swimming off the Farallon Islands with a raw steak tied around your neck won't protect you by offering itself as an alternate prey food item?

    Hmm. Clever; I like it.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    So you're saying...that going swimming off the Farallon Islands with a raw steak tied around your neck won't protect you by offering itself as an alternate prey food item?

    Hmm. Clever; I like it.
    OTOH - doing either of the things considered might be the quickest way to determine whether or not good choices were made.

    In a game of Russian Roulette with a 1911, being the gentleman that I am, the other party may go first
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member independence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Citizen View Post
    Does anyone carry a badge, like a police badge that says "weapons permit Connecticut" on it, while they're open carrying displayed near their weapon.

    Is having a badge that says weapons permit Connecticut legal to wear. Now I'm not law-enforcement officer bashing but a lot of cops think there high-speed with their badges and their guns, And having a badge that says permit holder may attract attention, And could invite hostile intentions from the individual going outside the bounds of his job to stop you.

    Does anyone on the thread have a badge that says Connecticut pistol permit holder and display the badge as they open carry. And if you do what are some of the interactions that you had with that particular badge?

    I read a couple of accounts and other sites that say people Permit holders that carry badges have actually been more aggressively treated by the police because they don't like the fact that you have a badge to.LOL

    Thanks in advance for any replies!
    Badge = privilege

    No badge = right

    Which one do you prefer to exercise?






    Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.
    Open means open...

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1

    open carry with badge

    Quote Originally Posted by Good Citizen View Post
    Connecticut has no CCW, Prerequisite. Open carrying Connecticut is perfectly legal I'm just wondering whether a badge in Connecticut has attracted more law-enforcement or people don't call law-enforcement because they simply see the shiny badge and am wonding about people's experiences in Connecticut. I generally stay in the Connecticut thread because that's where I live so I really don't care With the same type of energy ,what is happening in other states though some of the information may be useful and I thank you.

    The cop disparaging wana- be comment you made is the reason I am inquiring to see if law-enforcement acts more aggressively if you have your own purchased badge.

    Thanks for the tip on the search!



    Carrying a badge proclaiming you.posess a carry permit in CT is perfectly legal. Its not considered impersonating an officer unless you are using it.to pull people over or tell people youre an officer. Anyone can carry a badge and doing so does not imply that youre an officer of the.law. emts wear badges. So do fire fighters. There is no law saying you cannot wear a badge and any charges of impersonation would be dropped unless, as i said, you proclaim to be an officer of the.law. if someone were to see this badge and assume you were an officer (which is the idea as to not have them call the police.to come harrass you about legally carrying your firearm) that is their problem for assuming. Its like wearing a police uniform. Unless it says police on it then it is perfectly legal ( it might even be legal if it says police as long as it doesnt specify a state or town...that im not positive on). Either way a carry badge is not impersonating unless you claim to be an officer or use it improperly. Any assumptions are up to the viewers perception.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Boone County, KY
    Posts
    312
    Don't forget the sash ....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2503d1377666165-drop-gun-i-said-drop-bam-bam-bam-p_080000833_1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	12975
    I am not a lawyer, I study the history of gun control laws.

  13. #13
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    ... Rather than deter a LEO from checking you out, it will attract his attention. ...
    ... is it cuz cops are attracted to shiny objects?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Carrying a Concealed Handgun Badge is considered by most here as bad form. It sends a false signal, regardless of intent.

    We wish to be perceived as regular people (non LEO) just carrying as we go about our normal, everyday routine.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    10
    Badges....badges....we don't need no stinking badges

  16. #16
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,726
    Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    Badge = privilege

    No badge = right

    Which one do you prefer to exercise?
    +1

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Jefferson County, CO
    Posts
    260
    Tom says it all pretty much in these six minutes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO6cJJgBGjI

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    1,247

    Wearing a Badge while carrying openly

    I acquired a badge and displayed it on Summary Judgment Saturday night.

    We discuss many topics including firearm issues on this program.

    Stop by and watch the video and go to about 15 minutes into the clip at this link: https://youtu.be/Tj1_QvJFaPQ

    The whole idea of possessing a badge is based on the belief that police officers can openly carrying their firearms without causing annoyance or alarm because people see their badges.

    OK, if it calms people down and makes them feel more secure, I'll wear a badge when I choose to do so.

    LOL

    Ed Peruta

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    1,247

    Open Carry trial scheduled for April

    Michael Picard was arrested in West Hartford while openly carrying a firearm during a DUI checkpoint incident, and will be tried on several minor charges in April.
    American News has provided the following media notice with a request to video record the trial.

    Here iis the link to the Judicial information: http://www.jud2.ct.gov/crdockets/Cas...3-cbdd3465c514


    Please consider watching "THE MORNING REPORT" or "SUMMARY JUDGMENT" With Attorney Baird and I at this website: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0CXBLyv6zwJfqGqZ6Wytag


    Attorney Rachel M. Baird and I discuss many topics and have NO problem discussing firearm issues.

    For those that know us, you will not be disappointed in the topics discussed.

    The Morning report is live on YouTube between 7:00 am and 7:30 am (Eastern) Monday - Thursday.

    Summary Judgment is live on YouTube between 4:00 pm and 6:00 pm
    (Eastern)Saturdays.

    There is a delay of approximately 40 seconds caused by the time it takes YouTube to receive, encode and transmit the live program.

    If you have questions or opinions on any topic, please visit our program and call in at 860-249-1776.

    Stay
    Ed Peruta

    From:
    AMCABLE [mailto:edperuta@amcable.tv]
    Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2016 10:32 PM
    To: 'Alison.Zawadski@jud.ct.gov'; 'Rhonda.Hebert@jud.ct.gov'
    Cc: 'Rachel Baird'; 'cliff baird'; 'Paul Rosenberg'
    Subject: Court Trial and notice of intended media coverage H15N-CI15-0959171-S


    American News and Information Service Inc. is providing notice of our intent to video the Michael Picard infraction "Court Trial" to be held in G.A. 15 on or after April 25, 2016.

    Docket #: H15N-CI15-0959171-S

    Please forward this notice to the Hon. Joan K. Alexander


    Respectfully,

    Edward A. Peruta
    American News and Information Services Inc.
    American News Media Center
    15 Burlington Road
    Harwinton, CT 06791
    860-978-5455



    Know Your Civil Liberties!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •