Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMC movie theater calls FBI to arrest a Google Glass user. ... extremely high traffic

AMC movie theater calls FBI to arrest a Google Glass user. ... extremely high traffic

"About an hour into the movie (Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit), a guy comes near my seat, shoves a badge that had some sort of a shield on it, yanks the Google Glass off my face and says “follow me outside immediately”. It was quite embarrassing and outside of the theater there were about 5-10 cops and mall cops. Since I didn’t catch his name in the dark of the theater, I asked to see his badge again and I asked what was the problem and I asked for my Glass back. The response was “you see all these cops you know we are legit, we are with the ‘federal service’ and you have been caught illegally taping the movie”.

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2014/01/20/...le-glass-user/
    For the sake of having all the facts right. I have been trying to find out who the agents that “interviewed” me at
    AMC were, so I asked help from a guy I know at FBI. I worked with this guy in the past when I was employed at a webhosting company. He did some digging, and (as you see below) he tells me the “federal agents” talking to me were DHS.
    http://betabeat.com/2014/01/feds-int...movie-theater/

G00gle Real time coverage
    https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...62d86aa3c4db0f
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-21-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Ho hum, just the latest iteration of "How do we know you're not ______" instead of "We can reasonably suspect you are _________". Nothing to see here, just a Fourth Amendment violation.

Ooops, my mistake, The Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency (ICE) says the man was not detained and would have been free to to should he have chosen to do so.
    Apparently when someone shoves a badge in your face saying, "Come with me immediately" and then surrounds you with an additional 5-10 officers... it's only a request.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-21-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Banned
    Is he going to sue?

Did he complain to AMC? I find their actions as reprehensible as the cops'. (I don't even go to theaters any more. There aren't any nearby that will allow me to carry.

Are there any other steps he will take to solve the problem?

I live near Columbus and would be willing to help this guy any way I can--if he is fighting this. If he isn't, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Is he going to sue?
    You mean steal ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    You mean steal ?
    No. I mean sue. I won't play your word games. It is dishonest.

If he does file a civil suit, we already know the response from the potential defendants; "Mr U lacks standing. His answering our questions was purely voluntary. The agent's showing of a badge was only to establish his credentials and his ordering the plaintiff to come with him was merely an entreaty that could legally be ignored as Mr U was performing no action that could reasonably be suspected of being illegal. His extended encounter with our agents was purely voluntary on his part as he could have left at any time. Our agency in not responsible for plaintiff never inquiring if he was free to go."

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Another Isolated Incident?.......hahahaha I couldn't help it.....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    If he does file a civil suit, we already know the response from the potential defendants; "Mr U lacks standing. His answering our questions was purely voluntary. The agent's showing of a badge was only to establish his credentials and his ordering the plaintiff to come with him was merely an entreaty that could legally be ignored as Mr U was performing no action that could reasonably be suspected of being illegal. His extended encounter with our agents was purely voluntary on his part as he could have left at any time. Our agency in not responsible for plaintiff never inquiring if he was free to go."
    Nothing about the forced seizure of his personal property right off his face. Such property valued in excess of $2000!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Banned
    That could be their reply. However, based on other court rulings, the mere number of officers means that he was detained involuntarily.

Their reply doesn't mean squat. What the judge and jury think, as influenced by precedent, does.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Yes, another isolated incident. You could say this about hundreds of "isolated incidents," and they'd still be isolated in comparison to millions of other interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Learn about the Sorites Paradox of the heap. A million incidents are not isolated. Remove one, 999,999 incidents are not isolated. Remove another, still the incidents are not isolated. Three? Four? Clearly, one out of a million is 'isolated'. What fraction of incidents may be called 'isolated'?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Learn about the Sorites Paradox of the heap. A million incidents are not isolated. Remove one, 999,999 incidents are not isolated. Remove another, still the incidents are not isolated. Three? Four? Clearly, one out of a million is 'isolated'. What fraction of incidents may be called 'isolated'?
    Thanks for the homework assignment. A pointless one.

Hundreds out of millions is isolated.

You sure do love showing off your knowledge and telling others that they must learn what you know.

[ ... ]Hundreds out of millions is isolated.

You sure do love showing off your knowledge and telling others that they must learn what you know.
    Ahh, a nibble. So hundreds+one out of millions is NOT isolated?

I'll leave it to others as knowledgeable and capable as I to demonstrate your foolishness, and as a continuing exercise for you.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-22-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Banned
    That is not what I said, and I will not play your know-it-all pedantic games. The current situation is less than hundreds out of more than millions. The instances would be considered isolated by most rational adults. Moving on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Yes, another isolated incident. You could say this about hundreds of "isolated incidents," and they'd still be isolated in comparison to millions of other interactions.
    Oh sure, there is no routine violation of rights anywhere.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

"Isolated" is a distinctly geographic term. A demographically influenced term. In Seattle, the SPD certainly stretched the boundaries of the definition of isolated. Now, SPD, a major LEA could be classified as a isolated case given the numbers of LEAs across the country.

A matter of degrees, it seems.

No matter how many thug cops there are, there are far more non-thug cops and thus the incidents of thug encounters, and the counting thereof, is a academic exercise.

The wronged citizen, no matter the number of wronged citizens, either seeks a redress or he does not. Film at a 11.....maybe.

Isolated as the cops the apologist try to use it refers to being insulated from all the other actions and police culture.

I don't think so. Try filing a complaint or just ask for a complaint form, don't give name and ID just ask for a form.

Pure nonsense when applied in it's correct perspective.

Replace tyrannical police performance with airline pilot performance. There'd be a bounty on pilots if they messed up as many take offs and landings as cops mess up interactions with the public.

Now picture airline pilots forming a thin blue line to prevent accountability of their brethren for negligence and willful disregard for safety. Allow pilots the benefit of conducting the investigations into reports of misconduct. Make available to pilots the use of lethal intimidation on those seeking accountability, witnesses.

Suddenly, several hundred incidents don't seem so "isolated".

If we were to find government goons beating, tasing, sexually abusing and killing our children at the government mandated schools we must send them to, at the rate of 10 or 12 a day? That does not sound isolated. That sounds like an epidemic to me.

Yet some fear based statists will deny the significance of the growing number of atrocities believing that by denying the activities of the depraved tyrants, if they appease the beast, they'll be eaten last, the meager peons that do have children don't deserve them and owe the tyrants a sacrificial child here and there...

We have two examples of trusting entities to police their own, and both have failed. Priests and police. The church has it's "frocked line" that can't be penetrated. No need to waste space on the antics of the "thin blue line".

How many children sexually exploited by priests does it take to determine there is a pattern of abuse and a network in place to cover it up? 10 to 12 reported incidents of depraved child exploitation a day doesn't sound isolated. Factor in those incidents not reported because the victim predictably placed the blame on themselves, was shamed into silence, intimidated by the most powerful people in their worlds.

I contend your defense of the abuses we are experiencing by police and other government thugs is akin to the defensive shield used by the Catholic church that has perpetuated generations of victims because those in a position to break the cycle are afraid of change.

I told you before, you are in no position to establish for me what the acceptable level of abuse I will tolerate. Your rationalizations of the abuse we know about have deemed you lacking the objectivity to make that determination.
    Last edited by Fuller Malarkey; 01-22-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

^ Good post.

Isolated suggests that it happens far from and removed from the rest. "Like an isolated island".

This isn't true these bad actors are not removed and far from their fellow actors, they are actively part of and continue to be part of these agencies.

The want to justify whole agencies for the isolated actions of very small percent of the population, will cry "anarchy" when anyone protests. Yet somehow a larger percentage of criminal acts by the "law enforcers" is rationalized away as "nothing to see here". The way I see it if you want chaos government force is the surest way to get it.

I would contend less then 1% is isolated. If anyone else cares to refute that assertion for it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Except the first thing the 'agents' did was to rip his glasees off his face THEN identified themselves and ordered him to come.
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Until LE takes a proactive approach to mitigate rights violations, rights violations will continue. The increased use of devices to record these violations will lead to more violations being reported. There will come a tipping point. SPD may have had theirs, but I doubt it.

Cops tend to advocate for gaining redress instead of advocating for the cleaning of their own house. LEAs work very hard to place the blame on to the violated citizen for their rights being violated. There are no thug cops, in LEs view, just misunderstood cops, or cops who were baited into violating the law and rights, or ignorant juries painting a unfair picture of the LEA.

What is missing, in LEs view, are citizens who would be better served if they would just cooperate with LE and all will be good. LEs job is hard enough without citizens exercising and protecting their rights.

All cops can remedy this perception very very quickly. Officer Harless' partner could have remedied the Harless problem in just a few short words, he did not. Thus the Harless' of the world will retain their jobs and continue to violate citizens rights.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Until LE takes a proactive approach to mitigate rights violations, rights violations will continue. The increased use of devices to record these violations will lead to more violations being reported. There will come a tipping point. SPD may have had theirs, but I doubt it.

Cops tend to advocate for gaining redress instead of advocating for the cleaning of their own house. LEAs work very hard to place the blame on to the violated citizen for their rights being violated. There are no thug cops, in LEs view, just misunderstood cops, or cops who were baited into violating the law and rights, or ignorant juries painting a unfair picture of the LEA.

What is missing, in LEs view, are citizens who would be better served if they would just cooperate with LE and all will be good. LEs job is hard enough without citizens exercising and protecting their rights.

All cops can remedy this perception very very quickly. Officer Harless' partner could have remedied the Harless problem in just a few short words, he did not. Thus the Harless' of the world will retain their jobs and continue to violate citizens rights.
    Well spoken statements about what what les views are..... from non law enforcement.

Lots of rubbish. Even if you were law enforcement I'd tell you to speak for your damn self.

Your building the ultimate strawman. Your building and stating these "views" and assigning then to all law enforcement then attacking them.

How's this to blow a hole in your whole premise.... I am a law enforcement officer and out of 700,000 other law enforcement officers I'm certain there are plenty of bad apples. I'm certain there are plenty of thing cops who don't like their job and take it out on people.

The numbers are out there. 6613 in 2010. I'll give you everyone of then even though some may have been. Good officers. I'll say everyone were wrong and were all things and should be fired for being thugs and I'll mean every word. Its still less then 1%.

So much for your "le thinks this" assertions.

Last edited by Primus; 01-22-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    I would contend less then 1% is isolated. If anyone else cares to refute that assertion for it.

Few here really care what you contend. The Seattle police were not put under a court ordered Department of Justice Monitor due to reports of less than one percent civil rights abuses. Whatever the number, it was significant enough that the out of control entity operates under federal monitoring to prevent further abuses. If you live in Seattle, the numbers are not insignificant.

And Seattle is not isolated in the attentions it has received from the courts, the FBI and the Department of Justice. The people of Cincinnati......experienced abuse to the level federal intervention was required. New Orleans. Miami had civil rights abuses at the hands of police to the extent federal intervention was warranted. New York City, population over eight million, under federal court monitoring for civil rights abuses at the hands of an out of control police entity....The mayor of Atlantic City New Jersey turns to the Department of Justice to help bring under control the abuses inflicted on the citizens at the hands of police. Los Angeles police, Detroit police, Pittsburgh police, all have had federal court consent decrees issued to end widespread abuse and corruption aimed at their citizens.

But Mayberry had no complaints, nothing to see here, move along....video exists of a fat assed cop in a staged event tossing a ball to a ghetto kid properly prepped for the camera. A professional police PR camera person just happens to catch a cop giving boots to a homeless guy in a staged event that is supposed to convince us look the other way at these isolated incidents of unarmed people shot down, elderly beaten, tased and killed, that tanks and 50 caliber full auto rifles are being acquired to fend off terrorists, however, to date they've only been used against the citizens. Manufacturers refuse to sell their wares to police departments because of the unaccountability by that entity in the use of those weapons.....
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    ~SNIPPED

The numbers are out there. 6613 in 2010. I'll give you everyone of then even though some may have been. Good officers. I'll say everyone were wrong and were all things and should be fired for being thugs and I'll mean every word. Its still less then 1%.

So much for your "le thinks this" assertions.

You've been confronted several times about the illegitimacy of your use of that figure of 6613. Compiled by the CATO Institute, that number represents what was found in MSM articles concerning police misconduct. CATO states it is far from being an all inclusive figure, as there is no comprehensive compilation of abuses and misconduct at the hands of police. No one entity keeps track of police use of force. Nothing compels police departments to report incidents of use of force or filed complaints to anyone.
    ~Citizen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast