• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safeco to institute metal detectors

retrodad

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...reen-fans-with-metal-detectors-241326101.html

SEATTLE - The Seattle Mariners announced Tuesday they will screen all fans with metal detectors as they enter Safeco Field, starting with this year's season opener April 8 against the Los Angeles Angels.

Mariners spokeswoman Rebecca Hale said the new security measure complies with Major League Baseball’s mandate that all teams implement a screening program by the start of the 2015 season.

Hale said fans at Safeco Field will pass through walk-through magnetometers while their tickets are being scanned. Devices are being installed at all public entrances. Those who do not wish to pass through a metal detector will have the option of being checked with a hand-held device.

So what's the final word on Safeco: Public, not public?

Alpine

According to this it's public:

http://www.ballpark.org/

Welcome!

Safeco Field, opened in July 1999, is owned by King County citizens and is overseen in trust by a municipal corporation -- the Washington State Major League Baseball Stadium Public Facilities District, commonly called the PFD.

More than 30 million people have attended an event at Safeco Field making it one of the most popular visitor attractions in Washington. More than 400 events -- from high school graduations to corporate meetings -- are staged at Safeco Field each year in addition to the 81 home games played the Seattle Mariners.

Safeco Field is ranked as one of the best stadiums in Major League Baseball.
The PFD leases Safeco Field to the Seattle Mariners which manage operations and maintenance for all events in the facility.

tombrewster421

If it truly is public and not leased to the mariners for games then showing a CPL "should" get you in no matter what the MLB says about it. The question is is it leased on game days?

Alpine

I'm not sure that leasing it allows them to ban firearms, I've read the Sequim case and I don't think it's clear from that case whether that's true or not.

retrodad

If it truly is public and not leased to the mariners for games then showing a CPL "should" get you in no matter what the MLB says about it. The question is is it leased on game days?

That's the trick. And I think it is. Which means, now, between your car and the stadium you're SOL.

Difdi

That's the trick. And I think it is. Which means, now, between your car and the stadium you're SOL.

If a private corporation prohibits you from defending yourself in a time, place and manner that is completely lawful, are they liable if they don't provide adequate security and someone gets robbed, raped or murdered?

Last edited:

HK_dave

and good luck getting the minimum wage ticket taker to understand that. they'll just be taught to repeat "no guns" and you end up standing there arguing about it with an idiot.

EMNofSeattle

According to this it's public:

http://www.ballpark.org/

Welcome!

Safeco Field, opened in July 1999, is owned by King County citizens and is overseen in trust by a municipal corporation -- the Washington State Major League Baseball Stadium Public Facilities District, commonly called the PFD.

More than 30 million people have attended an event at Safeco Field making it one of the most popular visitor attractions in Washington. More than 400 events -- from high school graduations to corporate meetings -- are staged at Safeco Field each year in addition to the 81 home games played the Seattle Mariners.

Safeco Field is ranked as one of the best stadiums in Major League Baseball.
The PFD leases Safeco Field to the Seattle Mariners which manage operations and maintenance for all events in the facility.

Well then the answer is to buy a ticket, bring your CPL and firearm, and when they refuse you entry (not if, when) remind them of the law, they'll tell you to leave again, then leave, and next business day take them to court.....

I think it will end up similar to sequiem a court may agree that the municipal entity can't ban guns, so the Mariners will ban guns while leasing it, or MLB will tell the mariners to ban guns while leasing it. If its a true lease, no court will overturn the rules of the lessee. Furthermore, the stadium is not "open to the general public" and performs no nessecary government function, so the issues in chan are not present.....

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

well then the answer is to buy a ticket, bring your cpl and firearm, and when they refuse you entry (not if, when) remind them of the law, they'll tell you to leave again, then leave, and next business day take them to court.....

I think it will end up similar to sequiem a court may agree that the municipal entity can't ban guns, so the mariners will ban guns while leasing it, or mlb will tell the mariners to ban guns while leasing it. If its a true lease, no court will overturn the rules of the lessee. Furthermore, the stadium is not "open to the general public" and performs no nessecary government function, so the issues in chan are not present.....
safeco field, opened in july 1999, is owned by king county citizens and is overseen in trust by a municipal corporation -- the washington state major league baseball stadium public facilities district, commonly called the pfd.
rcw 9.41.300

(b) restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under rcw 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by rcw 9.41.060; or

Grim_Night

This is yet another reason why I absolutely detest professional sports (besides the fact that professional sports is all about the money nowadays). But I'll tell ya what... If somebody else pays for my ticket, I'll be glad to show up to a game while open carrying and still in possession of my CPL and a copy of state law and a copy of the above listed web site page. I will gladly add my hat to the ring if/when somebody wants to take something like this to court. All of this just proves that it's the privileged class that makes the rules in defiance of the LAW and all us peasants can either take it and like it or go back home.

deanf

As the lessee, the Mariners have the common law right to set rules for conduct "for all events in the facility."

It's cut. It's dried. It's crystal clear. Preemption doesn't apply to lessees. Until the common law right to set conduct rules on de facto private property is removed, waving a web page printout
under someone's nose is wasted energy. Why not work to change the law?

Freedom1Man

[/COLOR]

As the lessee, the Mariners have the common law right to set rules for conduct "for all events in the facility."

It's cut. It's dried. It's crystal clear. Preemption doesn't apply to lessees. Until the common law right to set conduct rules on de facto private property is removed, waving a web page printout
under someone's nose is wasted energy. Why not work to change the law?

The law covers this. It's run by the government corporation.

deanf

It's run by the government corporation.

It's owned by the government corporation (called a municipal corporation). It's run by a private corporation, The Seattle Mariners, under a lease agreement. Lessees always have the common law right to set standards of conduct on their leased property.

Last edited:

retrodad

It's owned by the government corporation (called a municipal corporation). It's run by a private corporation, The Seattle Mariners, under a lease agreement. Lessees always have the common law right to set standards of conduct on their leased property.

So, that pretty much settles it. Need to find closer parking & a good vehicle safe, or just enjoy the game from home.

I have family that works for the organization, so I don't wish to do anything foolish/embarrassing.

Freedom1Man

This is all shady as F.

If it's government owned then they should not be able to prohibit guns per the intent of the law.

EMNofSeattle

They steal money from the public to build it, and then side step public law.

my heart literally bleeds for all the poor property tax payers who own bars, restaurants, and motels and parking garages in SoDo, who have to put up with huge profit margins on game day, and increased business, and increased property value, they must be so oppressed over there, how will they ever get through this.... :confused:

Alpine

I understand the lease argument but this is not office space or some random building, this is a publicly owned stadium, which is actually specifically named IN the RCW. I have a feeling that the courts could be persuaded to stop allowing the government this little shell game they are playing but it would require money and time to litigate.