Thread: Would OC'ing a single action 6" 357 showboatting?

Banned

Would OC'ing a single action 6" 357 showboatting?

Calling in an ethics call. If you got good at quick draw and fire on target single action could you use it in a self defense scenerio? Can you do a quick draw with a ruger super redhawk? Fan back the hammer to single action while drawing then quick draw to fire?

Banned
    A quality firearm with excellent draw and aiming characteristics. What's wrong with carrying it? Nothing.

It'd be perfectly fine.... if it were 1848...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

I carry a single action, and it's one of several that I own. I carry cap and balls, usually an 1858 Remington in .44 cal., but sometimes an 1860 Colt in .44 caliber, and if I use a conversion cylinder with my Remingtons, I then have a .45 Colt. If I carry a true cartridge revolver, then it's either a Uberti 1875 Remington Outlaw in .45 Colt, or a Uberti Regulator first generation Colt in either .45 Colt or .45 ACP. It's either a big bore or a .22 single action. I feel safer with a big bore. If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.
    Last edited by Chief Ten Beers; 01-22-2014 at 05:08 PM. Reason: to add the word 'open'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Ten Beers View Post
    ...If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to carry it.
    Seems like pretty sound advice, right there.

Oh...and welcome to the forum! Lots of useful information to be gleaned form these pages.
    Last edited by Hrcnsfan; 01-22-2014 at 02:06 PM.

I carry a single action, and it's one of several that I own. I carry cap and balls, usually an 1858 Remington in .44 cal., but sometimes an 1860 Colt in .44 caliber, and if I use a conversion cylinder with my Remingtons, I then have a .45 Colt. If I carry a true cartridge revolver, then it's either a Uberti 1875 Remington Outlaw in .45 Colt, or a Uberti Regulator first generation Colt in either .45 Colt or .45 ACP. It's either a big bore or a .22 single action. I feel safer with a big bore. If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to carry it.
    Welcome to OCDO Ten Beers!

I also carry SA revolvers, both cartridge and C&B. I have complete confidence in their ability to do the job. After all most bad guys do not care what type of gun is pointed at them.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Open carry is your primary defense, don't worry about draw speed. Just know how to draw safely.

While my EDC is a full-size 1911, I've often carried my 7-1/2" .45 single-action revolver, sometimes at rallies and picnics.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Thank you guys for the welcome. I belong to several different gun forums, and as far as open carry goes, this is the only forum that really gets it. Most of the other forums sort of want to skirt the issue and not really wanting to talk about it in detail.

Chief Ten Beers

Thank you guys for the welcome. I belong to several different gun forums, and as far as open carry goes, this is the only forum that really gets it. Most of the other forums sort of want to skirt the issue and not really wanting to talk about it in detail.

Chief Ten Beers
    Skirting the issue...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitty.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	11151
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    Skirting the issue...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitty.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	11151

Why would one fan back the hammer on a super Redhawk when they are a double action pistol.

You can't fan a double action like a single action anyway. Holding the trigger back and cocking and releasing the hammer only allows the hammer to move and doesn't advance the cylinder

I find using the double action mode on my redhawks faster then using the single action on my Blackhawks.

But I see nothing wrong with a single action being carried if that is what you want.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 01-23-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I don't even fan my single actions, it's not good for the gun nor for my hand.

I don't even fan my single actions, it's not good for the gun nor for my hand.
    +1 and it is not that fast unless you are Munden(RIP). In fastdraw though the gun is cocked just before coming out of the holster, but the bullets are wax though. They will sting like heck, but are not fatal. For live ammo I never cock until on target. And I can fire faster single action using off hand thumb faster than most people can fire a DA revolver.

I knew a guy that was so fast with a Winchester 73 that he could empty the tube before the first casing could touch the ground, and hit the gong every time. He was just as fast with his SA revolvers, it sounded just like a semi auto fired rapidly. SASS is good training for carry, safety always comes first, and the targets look like a silhouette, and there is feedback on every shot.

I don't shoot it anymore but recommend it to people who wish to carry a SA for SD.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    +1 and it is not that fast unless you are Munden(RIP). In fastdraw though the gun is cocked just before coming out of the holster, but the bullets are wax though. They will sting like heck, but are not fatal. For live ammo I never cock until on target. And I can fire faster single action using off hand thumb faster than most people can fire a DA revolver.

I knew a guy that was so fast with a Winchester 73 that he could empty the tube before the first casing could touch the ground, and hit the gong every time. He was just as fast with his SA revolvers, it sounded just like a semi auto fired rapidly. SASS is good training for carry, safety always comes first, and the targets look like a silhouette, and there is feedback on every shot.

I don't shoot it anymore but recommend it to people who wish to carry a SA for SD.
    Bob Munden was awesome with his skills, and of course, his guns were tricked out in order to preform his stunts. I've never been involved with SASS, or any other cowboy action shooting organizations. I do my shooting and practice here at my house, and I'm more into accuracy than speed. I have looked into SASS, but for now, it just isn't in my budget. It's expensive enough just to buy the guns, ammo, and reloading equipment, much less buying the period correct clothing just to look like I stepped from the pages of the 1870's.

Bob Munden was awesome with his skills, and of course, his guns were tricked out in order to preform his stunts. I've never been involved with SASS, or any other cowboy action shooting organizations. I do my shooting and practice here at my house, and I'm more into accuracy than speed. I have looked into SASS, but for now, it just isn't in my budget. It's expensive enough just to buy the guns, ammo, and reloading equipment, much less buying the period correct clothing just to look like I stepped from the pages of the 1870's.
    They are pretty understanding on the clothes. As long as no sneakers are worn leather shoes or boots are acceptable. You could set up at a thrift store for less than 20 bucks. Now the hat might be expensive, but you do not have to wear a hat, just no ball caps are allowed. I notice that tractor supply usually has hats at a decent price. The ammo might be pricey as you will go through 20 rounds pistol(5 each pistol, 10 lever action) each stage, and usually 4 shotgun shells each stage.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

They are pretty understanding on the clothes. As long as no sneakers are worn leather shoes or boots are acceptable. You could set up at a thrift store for less than 20 bucks. Now the hat might be expensive, but you do not have to wear a hat, just no ball caps are allowed. I notice that tractor supply usually has hats at a decent price. The ammo might be pricey as you will go through 20 rounds pistol(5 each pistol, 10 lever action) each stage, and usually 4 shotgun shells each stage.
    Well, I'm half way there with the clothes. I do wear cowboy boots, and I have a couple of cowboy hats. I have blue jeans, and I can put on a pair of suspenders, I just don't have any cowboy shirts, but I do have flannel shirts. I handload all of my centerfire cartridges, so that's not a problem. But as far as a shotgun goes, I only own one, and that's a modern Savage over/under, .22 lr over a 20 gauge. I have a lever action Rossi M92 in .45 Colt, so that's no problem there either. Come to think of it, I'm more ready than I thought I am. I just need to find a SASS here in western Kentucky.

... I'm more into accuracy than speed. I have looked into SASS, but for now, it just isn't in my budget. ...
    You won't enjoy SASS anyway. They are all about looks and speed. The targets are huge and close to make it almost impossible to miss. My friend used to run the Nevada Rangers until the sport changed. He got out of it for this reason. I was just about to get into it, but I'm glad I didn't now. The side matches are the only events that give an edge to the guys who actually know how to use the sights on their guns.
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-23-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    You won't enjoy SASS anyway. They are all about looks and speed. The targets are huge and close to make it almost impossible to miss. My friend used to run the Nevada Rangers until the sport changed. He got out of it for this reason. I was just about to get into it, but I'm glad I didn't now. The side matches are the only events that give an edge to the guys who actually know how to use the sights on their guns.
    Besides that, I've read their rules and regulations, and there's some that I don't agree with. I've watched videos on SASS, and I know about the speed factor, and the guy with the beep box. Besides, I'd be the slowest shooter, but the one with the most hits on target. I would have to change my name to Chief Slow Shot But Hits Target.

The targets are set at around 10 yards, and the targets are smaller than a silhouette target. This is typical combat shooting distances, and yes the better shooters exhibit both speed and accuracy. It is up to the shooter which one or both they want to concentrate on. This is why it is good for those who wish to carry a SA revolver.

As far as looks, hey they let me shoot. I simply wore jeans a long sleeve button up shirt and a Resistol. Boots were Nam combat boots. The clothing I already had, so it did not cost me anything. Leather can be expensive but then I already owned leather. Guns are a tad more expensive than they used to be though, but they are for any shooting sport.

Some people like it some don't.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

The targets are set at around 10 yards, and the targets are smaller than a silhouette target. This is typical combat shooting distances, and yes the better shooters exhibit both speed and accuracy. It is up to the shooter which one or both they want to concentrate on. This is why it is good for those who wish to carry a SA revolver.

As far as looks, hey they let me shoot. I simply wore jeans a long sleeve button up shirt and a Resistol. Boots were Nam combat boots. The clothing I already had, so it did not cost me anything. Leather can be expensive but then I already owned leather. Guns are a tad more expensive than they used to be though, but they are for any shooting sport.

Some people like it some don't.
    I have the guns, all but a shotgun, and if I get that, it would an outside hammer double barrel. I know that the more you shoot, the faster you'll get. It's just the expense of joining SASS that is keeping me from it. I would like to attend a match as a guest and get the feel for it, but I don't know anyone who could get me in.
    If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

I have the guns, all but a shotgun, and if I get that, it would an outside hammer double barrel. I know that the more you shoot, the faster you'll get. It's just the expense of joining SASS that is keeping me from it. I would like to attend a match as a guest and get the feel for it, but I don't know anyone who could get me in.
    SASS dues used to be $25 a year, but the club I shot with did not require registering with SASS. They charged no dues, and if memory serves the range fee was only 5 or 10 bucks. Most clubs will let you shoot without a SASS membership, but they do like you to come early so they can go over safety with them. But that is all covered in the rules.

They do require that guns remain unloaded until on the firing line, which would bother some here. At the time I understood the safety part of the equation since the firearms are handled quite often. I never unloaded my EDC though and kept it in the bag while on the line. Several of us had EDCs that remained loaded but not handled or used for the match.

Looks like SASS dues went up to $55 a year. Damn inflation!
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 01-23-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

SASS dues used to be $25 a year, but the club I shot with did not require registering with SASS. They charged no dues, and if memory serves the range fee was only 5 or 10 bucks. Most clubs will let you shoot without a SASS membership, but they do like you to come early so they can go over safety with them. But that is all covered in the rules.

They do require that guns remain unloaded until on the firing line, which would bother some here. At the time I understood the safety part of the equation since the firearms are handled quite often. I never unloaded my EDC though and kept it in the bag while on the line. Several of us had EDCs that remained loaded but not handled or used for the match.

Looks like SASS dues went up to $55 a year. Damn inflation!
    I just checked the SASS site and found two clubs near me, the Kentucky Regulators in Boaz, Kentucky, and the Ohio River Rangers in Paducah, Kentucky. The Kentucky Regulators are a little bit closer to me. Maybe I'll get in touch with them and take it from there.
    If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Carry whatever you're most comfortable with, even if it's just a .22. Whatever it is will be better than nothing...

...or pepper spray.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson