Thread: Guns in the home raise suicide, homicide risk, review confirms

Guns in the home raise suicide, homicide risk, review confirms

Not a repost of another thread in the GD forums.

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!?

FUQ

Guns in the home raise suicide, homicide risk, review confirms

Maggie Fox NBC News

Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:02 PM ET

Having guns in the home triples the risk of suicide and doubles the risk of homicide, researchers reported on Monday.

Their review of 15 studies considered high quality confirms a clear association between gun ownership and violent death in the United States, where more than a third of the population owns firearms.

It’s a touchy subject — gun rights activists say they suspect researchers want to restrict gun ownership. Congress has restricted federal funding of gun research, while President Barack Obama has explicitly instructed federal health agencies to start doing it again. Some groups, like the American Academy of Pediatrics, have also lobbied in favor of more research on gun violence.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/health/guns-h...rms-2D11950306

“Obtaining a firearm not only endangers those living in the home but also imposes substantial costs on the community.”

So by this logic, my lawful ownership and possession of a firearm in my home is detrimental to the community... This is some serious left wing cr@p I tell ya...
    Last edited by Grim_Night; 01-22-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The suicide rate in 32 countries that mostly severely restrict gun ownership exceeds the USA rate.

It's not the tool - damn fools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_suicide_rate
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Well, it is pretty darn difficult to shoot yourself on the spur of the moment if you don't have a gun readily available.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Having stairs in your home increases your chance of using them!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Suicides, on the other hand, went up. “Firearm suicides increased in the majority of (metropolitan) areas during this time period,” Mercy said. The report found 38,122 suicides involving firearms in 2009-2010, up from 34,232 in 2006-2007.

“There are any number of factors that contribute to suicide,” Mercy said. “But one factor that may be associated is the business cycle. Suicide rates have increased since 2006, and that’s associated with the recession and unemployment in the United States.”
    Since we can't blame Bush anymore, it's Obama's fault.

And usually in metropolitan areas means "Agenda 21" is also a contributing factor.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Having stairs in your home increases your chance of using them!
    Not having stairs in your home will prevent you from falling down stairs.

so lets see... i live in a two-story house, with a basement. please dont tell me the government is going to force me to tear down the two flights of stairs that have served me so well since the house was built in '71 and force me to buy an elevator or escalator through the Affordable Lift Act. somehow i dont think i will save $2500 a year over the paid-for stairs. i think i will pay the tax (fine) and put up a couple of rickety ladders.

Banned
    I believe the homicide rates are higher in homes with guns. Aren't self-defense shootings included in homicide numbers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I believe the homicide rates are higher in homes with guns. Aren't self-defense shootings included in homicide numbers?

<o>
    Ding ding ding! give this man a prize! I was waiting for somebody to make this connection. The people that quote these "studies" totally neglect this little tidbit of information because it doesn't suit their agenda.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

More cars on the roads equal more car accidents. I don't see any one wanting to get rid of cars.
    Kentucky Open Carry Group
    http://opencarry.niceboards.org/

We all speak of liberty and freedom like we are the only ones that know the truth and the right path. But if we expect everyone to accept and follow our path and to accept our truth and want to force it upon them then that is no longer liberty or freedom. It is slavery. I believe in liberty for all. Regardless of their political views, religion, race, sex, etc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    Ding ding ding! give this man a prize! I was waiting for somebody to make this connection. The people that quote these "studies" totally neglect this little tidbit of information because it doesn't suit their agenda.
    Cash, please.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

<o>
    Great point! It goes right along them never mentioning that the overwhelming majority of homicides are criminals being killed.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    I still say it's Obama's fault.

People who murder or commit suicide with firearms are more likely to have used a firearms.

Fairly simple the others really don't count because I guess they are not Dead you are only really dead if a firearm is used./S/
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 01-23-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Suicide is a personal decision, not a public health issue.

Tall buildings also make good snap-decision suicide machines.

Last edited by scott58dh; 06-27-2014 at 02:26 AM.

Number of emergency department visits for self-inflicted injury: 713,000

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ahcd/nh...web_tables.pdf

Mortality
    All suicides
    Number of deaths: 38,364
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 12.4
    Cause of death rank: 10

Firearm suicides
    Number of deaths: 19,392
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 6.3

Suffocation suicides
    Number of deaths: 9,493
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 3.1

Poisoning suicides
    Number of deaths: 6,599
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 2.1

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/suicide.htm

come on guys, suicide is death by one's own hand...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 01-23-2014 at 10:47 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

<o>
    your cite for your frivolous and egregious statement?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I can disprove this whole idea in one simple statement. In japan, which has all but banned guns (and nearly all private ownership, you are 4 times more likely to die from suicide than in the USA. SUicides in Japan approach 40,000 per year, with HALF the population of the USA. So thats equivilent to 80,000 Japan suicides to about 19,000 in the USA (Assuming that the USA figure is only suicide by gun). In japan, the most common way is with hibachi grills, hanging and knifes. I also doubt that in the USA, most suicides by gun occur "on a whim". Most contemplate it for quite a while, and would had done it some other way if a gun wasnt around anyway. In other nations around the world, the most common means is HANGING, not guns.

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    <snip>

come on guys, suicide is death by one's own hand...

ipse
    Now that is a profound determination.

suicide : the act of killing yourself because you do not want to continue living