• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns in the home raise suicide, homicide risk, review confirms

Grim_Night

Not a repost of another thread in the GD forums.

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!?

FUQ

Guns in the home raise suicide, homicide risk, review confirms

Maggie Fox NBC News

Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:02 PM ET

Having guns in the home triples the risk of suicide and doubles the risk of homicide, researchers reported on Monday.

Their review of 15 studies considered high quality confirms a clear association between gun ownership and violent death in the United States, where more than a third of the population owns firearms.

It’s a touchy subject — gun rights activists say they suspect researchers want to restrict gun ownership. Congress has restricted federal funding of gun research, while President Barack Obama has explicitly instructed federal health agencies to start doing it again. Some groups, like the American Academy of Pediatrics, have also lobbied in favor of more research on gun violence.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/guns-home-raise-suicide-homicide-risk-review-confirms-2D11950306

“Obtaining a firearm not only endangers those living in the home but also imposes substantial costs on the community.”

:cuss::banghead:

So by this logic, my lawful ownership and possession of a firearm in my home is detrimental to the community... This is some serious left wing cr@p I tell ya...

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Suicides, on the other hand, went up. “Firearm suicides increased in the majority of (metropolitan) areas during this time period,” Mercy said. The report found 38,122 suicides involving firearms in 2009-2010, up from 34,232 in 2006-2007.

“There are any number of factors that contribute to suicide,” Mercy said. “But one factor that may be associated is the business cycle. Suicide rates have increased since 2006, and that’s associated with the recession and unemployment in the United States.”
Since we can't blame Bush anymore, it's Obama's fault.

And usually in metropolitan areas means "Agenda 21" is also a contributing factor.

OC for ME

Having stairs in your home increases your chance of using them!
Not having stairs in your home will prevent you from falling down stairs.

treadmill.gif

hafnhaf

so lets see... i live in a two-story house, with a basement. please dont tell me the government is going to force me to tear down the two flights of stairs that have served me so well since the house was built in '71 and force me to buy an elevator or escalator through the Affordable Lift Act. somehow i dont think i will save $2500 a year over the paid-for stairs. i think i will pay the tax (fine) and put up a couple of rickety ladders.

eye95

I believe the homicide rates are higher in homes with guns. Aren't self-defense shootings included in homicide numbers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Grim_Night

I believe the homicide rates are higher in homes with guns. Aren't self-defense shootings included in homicide numbers?

<o>

Ding ding ding! give this man a prize! I was waiting for somebody to make this connection. The people that quote these "studies" totally neglect this little tidbit of information because it doesn't suit their agenda.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Ding ding ding! give this man a prize! I was waiting for somebody to make this connection. The people that quote these "studies" totally neglect this little tidbit of information because it doesn't suit their agenda.
I still say it's Obama's fault.

Firearms Iinstuctor

People who murder or commit suicide with firearms are more likely to have used a firearms.

Fairly simple the others really don't count because I guess they are not Dead you are only really dead if a firearm is used./S/

Last edited:

solus

Number of emergency department visits for self-inflicted injury: 713,000

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ahcd/nhamcs_emergency/2010_ed_web_tables.pdf

Mortality
All suicides
Number of deaths: 38,364
Deaths per 100,000 population: 12.4
Cause of death rank: 10

Firearm suicides
Number of deaths: 19,392
Deaths per 100,000 population: 6.3

Suffocation suicides
Number of deaths: 9,493
Deaths per 100,000 population: 3.1

Poisoning suicides
Number of deaths: 6,599
Deaths per 100,000 population: 2.1

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/suicide.htm

come on guys, suicide is death by one's own hand...

ipse

Last edited:

solus

<o>

your cite for your frivolous and egregious statement?

ipse

NMOCr

I can disprove this whole idea in one simple statement. In japan, which has all but banned guns (and nearly all private ownership, you are 4 times more likely to die from suicide than in the USA. SUicides in Japan approach 40,000 per year, with HALF the population of the USA. So thats equivilent to 80,000 Japan suicides to about 19,000 in the USA (Assuming that the USA figure is only suicide by gun). In japan, the most common way is with hibachi grills, hanging and knifes. I also doubt that in the USA, most suicides by gun occur "on a whim". Most contemplate it for quite a while, and would had done it some other way if a gun wasnt around anyway. In other nations around the world, the most common means is HANGING, not guns.