• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL - More P4P Than Ever!!!

grylnsmn

So how long have you had your permit? :lol:

Like I said, anything which benefits permit holders (but nobody else) is morally bankrupt. You can have your definition of "perk"; I don't care.

I'd rather permittees have to pay the extra $25 if it incentivizes them to oppose licensure outright, or if eliminating the fee incentivizes apathy on that point. As it stands, the existence of ego-affirming permission slips engenders in many a sense of superiority which disincentives permit holders from seeking to end licensure.

Like professional/vocational licensure, carry permits appeal to a fundamental social insecurity in man (or most men, anyway), and represents a camel's-nose-in-the-tent scenario. Now we are faced with bodily ripping the entire camel from the tent, and I'll oppose anything which renders leaving the camel in place more attractive.

To put it simply, the easier it is to get permits, the more people will do so. The more people who do so, the more smug, self-satisfied asshats there will be to champion their superior training and law-abidance, and ultimately fail to oppose licensure.

In short, you cannot simultaneously advocate for the second amendment, and any benefits whatsoever for permit holders. You pays your money; you makes your choice.

I choose the RKBA.

I get it, you hate the very idea of permits. So do I. But we have to deal with the world the way it is, and CHPs aren't going anywhere in the next 4 years, no matter what we do.

I OC almost exclusively, but I do have a CHP because I occasionally go places where OC is not appropriate, and I refuse to compromise on safety. As one example, I often visit my elderly aunt in assisted living, and she is very anti-gun, to the point of lecturing me about guns in my own home one time. Her facility doesn't prohibit, so I have my CHP so I can conceal while I am there without breaking the law. Similarly, I use my CHP to legally carry at church, because I am not willing to sacrifice security, but it is also an inappropriate time and place to advocate for gun rights. Beyond that, I have used it only for when I have travelled to other places not as friendly to OC (such has a visit to Texas a few years ago).

The mere fact that I have a CHP doesn't mean I hold myself up as "better" than anyone else. It merely means that I a working within the system that we have right now, even as I advocate to change that same system.

You can hold your own opinion all you want, but you really don't get to pick your own definitions of words. The word "perk" comes from "perquisite", which is defined as:
1. an incidental payment, benefit, privilege, or advantage over and above regular income, salary, or wages: Among the president's perquisites were free use of a company car and paid membership in a country club.
2. a gratuity or tip.
3. something demanded or due as a particular privilege: homage that was once the perquisite of royalty.
Reducing the fee by $25 doesn't fit definition 1, because it's not some benefit or privilege. It's simply not paying for a "service" (the FBI fingerprint check) that you by law are not getting. It wasn't the government's money in the first place, so letting the applicant keep their own money isn't a "payment benefit, privilege, or advantage". It certainly doesn't fit definition 2, and it's not being demanded as a privilege, so it doesn't fit definition 3.

By the way you seem to be using the term, you would probably claim that changing from may-issue to shall-issue for CHPs was "P4P" as well. That defies all logic. Yes, a CHP is treated as a privilege, not a right (and that needs to change), but that doesn't mean that everything related to concealed carry is a perk. Some examples of that include reducing the fee for services not rendered, and clarifying the secured container law (which has nothing to do with CHPs, but Thundar claimed was P4P).

Consider also that many jurisdictions claim that they lose money on CHP applications as it is. Reducing the amount they can charge for them is more likely to encourage them to support eliminating CHPs than the extra $25 is going to convince applicants to reject CHPs.

Yes, CHPs are the camel's nose, but they can be that way for us to loosen the restrictions, too. For example, the change from may-issue to shall-issue for permits was a big step towards constitutional carry, even if it didn't get us all the way there. Similarly, the CHP exemption for school property (as long as you remain in your car) helped pave the way to the secured container law, which benefits everyone. Permits already exist, so complaining about their existence (especially among 2A supporters) does us no good.

Until we get constitutional carry, a CHP should be for nothing more than carrying concealed. It shouldn't bestow anything beyond that limited benefit. But it also shouldn't be a license for the government to charge any more than what the law explicitly allows (and for the explicit purposes stated in the law). And those who have CHPs should continue to work towards the ultimate goal of constitutional carry, as I have consistently tried to do.

grylnsmn

Bully. This is what you wrote:

My post stands.

Your post might stand, but your reading comprehension lacks. From my original post:
HB962 has nothing to do with permits at all. It is a clarification of the "secured container" provision that allows anyone who can legally possess a firearm to have one in a secured container in a vehicle or vessel without needing a permit to have it "concealed". How on earth is that P4P?

Just because a bill relates to either concealing a firearm or having/getting a permit to conceal doesn't make it automatically P4P.

The last part that you quoted was building on what I had stated in the prior paragraph, which explicitly cited HB962. If you are going to claim that HB962 relates to permits in any way, then please back up your claim. If it doesn't relate to permits in any way, it can't be P4P, even if it mentions concealing a firearm.

Thundar

VCDL, supporter of Tempest in a Teapot Issues!!!

I'm sorry, but eliminating the $25 fee for the FBI to run fingerprints is in no way a "perk" if localities are prohibited from requesting fingerprints anyways. Reducing the fee is aan appropriate side effect of removing the fingerprint requirement.

Essentially, right now, localities are allowed to pocket an extra $25 with each application. Would you call it a "perk" for homeowners if there were a similar bill to reduce the fees charged to get a building permit, because other laws had already reduced the amount of administrative overhead?

A perk is a benefit granted to someone. Not ripping off a CHP applicant of $25 extra dollars for a service that is no longer allowed by law isn't a benefit being granted to them.

ETA: Additionally, the part of my post that you quoted was referring to HB962, which has nothing to do with permitees at all. It applies to anyone who can legally possess a gun.

grylnsmn,

The real issue here is not whether these minor issues are perks or not. Frankly I do not care what we call them. The real problem is the inability of VCDL to see the forest through the trees.

VCDL continues to try and push these small CHP issues with great force. It is a tempest in a teapot. VCDL ends up looking like a spoiled brat when screaming about these minor issues, and does not make any friends to support their case for the really important issues like HB43.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The last part that you quoted was building on what I had stated in the prior paragraph, which explicitly cited HB962. If you are going to claim that HB962 relates to permits in any way, then please back up your claim. If it doesn't relate to permits in any way, it can't be P4P, even if it mentions concealing a firearm.

The context doesn't change that black-and-white of what you wrote.

I assure you my reading comprehension is adequate.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
For example, the change from may-issue to shall-issue for permits was a big step towards constitutional carry, even if it didn't get us all the way there.

I disagree. By my theory (confirmed by experience), going shall-issue is about the worst thing you can do if eventual constitutional carry is the goal.

Recent history shows it isn't impossible to make the leap, but I do not believe for one minute that shall-issue is a step down the road to constitutional carry. It's a step down an entirely different road, and all too often it's of the you-can't-get-there-from-here type.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Cops should demand that OC be the only manner in which a citizen can carry. This way they will see the gun and know vs. guessing that all citizens are armed and then treating folks as armed and dangerous until proven otherwise.

CC is a money maker for a great many folks.

Marco

VCDL continues to try and push these small CHP issues with great force. It is a tempest in a teapot. VCDL ends up looking like a spoiled brat when screaming about these minor issues, and does not make any friends to support their case for the really important issues like HB43.

1+

The problem Philip, is that even had this bill passed... the law would still not have been 'uniform'. It was a special carve out for CHP holders only... NOT a 'uniform' law that covered everyone the same.

1+

Like Peter I'm glad this Bill is DOA, it doesn't effect me in the counties I hunt but does effect me when I have to travel into Albermarle county.

Cops should demand that OC be the only manner in which a citizen can carry. This way they will see the gun and know vs. guessing that all citizens are armed and then treating folks as armed and dangerous until proven otherwise.

CC is a money maker for a great many folks.

Actually, the Gov't and it's minions should have no say in how I/we choose to carry. We non sworn persons were stupid to support HR218 yrs ago as LE (in general) have never and will never do the same for us.

Agreed, the Concealed carry business is booming so many try to keep the status quo.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
As the wife and I went through the various legislators offices on Monday our stomachs turned and I think we visibly cringed every time one of the group members brought up the need to reduce the CHP fee from $50 to $25. We both were quite upset that of all the bills and good that could be done even with the bills available, people were wasting valuable face time with the legislators or their aids to push for a measly $25. Figuring that we were wasting our time we went off and talked directly to our delegate, which was useful.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As the wife and I went through the various legislators offices on Monday our stomachs turned and I think we visibly cringed every time one of the group members brought up the need to reduce the CHP fee from $50 to $25. We both were quite upset that of all the bills and good that could be done even with the bills available, people were wasting valuable face time with the legislators or their aids to push for a measly $25. Figuring that we were wasting our time we went off and talked directly to our delegate, which was useful.

I really hate to sound reasonable:uhoh: But to be honest, I don't care if they reduce the fees. They can give them away for free for all I care.

A CHP is a permit to conceal a handgun ....period. Some people need one, some just want one. No problem there. What they pay is irrelevant.

My dander doesn't get up until it's used to give the holder something extra like the ability to have a loaded long gun in the car or bypass background checks or carry a firearm during primitive weapons season....OR ENTER THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY BUILDING WITH A GUN.

Few things annoy me more than to have some kid get on here and say "I've been OC'ing and plan to get my CHP when I turn 21 or...a cop asked for my ID the other day when I was OC'ing and everything was fine after I showed him my CHP.:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I really hate to sound reasonable:uhoh: But to be honest, I don't care if they reduce the fees. They can give them away for free for all I care.

A CHP is a permit to conceal a handgun ....period. Some people need one, some just want one. No problem there. What they pay is irrelevant.

My dander doesn't get up until it's used to give the holder something extra like the ability to have a loaded long gun in the car or bypass background checks or carry a firearm during primitive weapons season....OR ENTER THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY BUILDING WITH A GUN.

Few things annoy me more than to have some kid get on here and say "I've been OC'ing and plan to get my CHP when I turn 21 or...a cop asked for my ID the other day when I was OC'ing and everything was fine after I showed him my CHP.:banghead:

It's called "roll over and play good puppy."

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Oh, don't get me wrong, I have no problem at all with reducing fees and would happily see the change; my irritation had more to do with the use of precious face time to advance something so petty. Lobby Day is often the only opportunity for some of us to see our reps during the session, so it seemed a wasted opportunity. Part of this is a personal regret that I didn't take the opportunity to be a group leader and seek to lead the conversation. I won't make that a 2015 mistake.

I am absolutely in agreement that money shouldn't buy access and that's exactly what we see.

Last edited:

grylnsmn

This, exactly.

The one area that I have disagreed with peter on is that I don't have a problem with allowing a temporary P4P as long as it is only a step on the way to greater freedom for everyone. Essentially, if it's only a way to get a foot in the door, and then after we get that foot in the door we keep pushing to get the door completely open.

That is not to say that I support pushing for P4P, only that I consider it acceptable only if we can't get everything pushed through at once, and then only if we can keep pushing to get everything without the permit.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have no problem at all with reducing fees and would happily see the change; my irritation had more to do with the use of precious face time to advance something so petty.
It may seem petty, but you also have to keep in mind what we are facing this year. Even if something passes the House and the Senate, it will still face the Governor's veto, and if you think that Bloomberg's lackey will just sign any firearm bill that hits his desk, you are sorely mistaken.

For the next 4 years, barring a massive wave for the Republicans in the 2015 elections, the chances of anything other than baby steps are fairly small. The fee reduction may seem minor, but there's a good chance that it's the best we can get this year.

mpguy

there actually was a bill for non permit concealed carry (you already have constitutional carry in VA). but it was killed in committee. i know that VCDL did support it.

Site please, I was unaware of constitutional carry in Va, or am I misreading your post?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Site please, I was unaware of constitutional carry in Va, or am I misreading your post?

HB 639 Concealed handgun permits; residents of the Commonwealth.
Jeffrey L. Campbell | all patrons ... notes
| add to my profiles
another bill? Log in LIS Home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bills & Resolutions Members Committees Meetings Calendars Communications House Minutes Senate Minutes Statistics Lobbyist-in-a-Box

Summary as introduced:
Concealed handgun permits; residents of the Commonwealth. Allows any resident of the Commonwealth who is otherwise eligible to obtain a concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun without a permit anywhere he may lawfully carry a handgun within the Commonwealth.Full text:
01/07/14 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/08/14 14103074D pdf

01/07/14 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/08/14 14103074D
01/07/14 House: Referred to Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety
01/17/14 House: Stricken from docket by Militia, Police and Public Safety by voice vote

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yep - would have been Constitutional Carry, but only for residents of Virginia.

Unfortunately was [strike]assassinated[/strike]preemptively taken out in committee.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A little OT but Gilbert's bills are rarely P4P as I see it, even though they often deal with CHP's.

This is an example of his reforming Va for the people instead of the Administration:

HB 706 General Assembly member; legislative standing to defend laws of Commonwealth.
C. Todd Gilbert | all patrons ... notes
| add to my profiles
another bill? Log in LIS Home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bills & Resolutions Members Committees Meetings Calendars Communications House Minutes Senate Minutes Statistics Lobbyist-in-a-Box

Summary as introduced:
Legislative standing to defend laws of the Commonwealth. Provides that a member of the General Assembly has standing to represent the interests of the Commonwealth in a proceeding in which the constitutionality, legality, or application of a law established under legislative authority is at issue and the Governor and Attorney General choose not to defend the law. The bill contains an emergency clause.Full text:
01/07/14 House: Prefiled and ordered printed with emergency clause; offered 01/08/14 14102264D pdf

Amendments:
House amendments

01/07/14 House: Prefiled and ordered printed with emergency clause; offered 01/08/14 14102264D
01/07/14 House: Referred to Committee on Rules
01/17/14 House: Referred from Rules by voice vote
01/17/14 House: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
01/24/14 House: Reported from Courts of Justice with amendments (13-Y 7-N)

Repeater

A little OT but Gilbert's bills are rarely P4P as I see it, even though they often deal with CHP's.

This is an example of his reforming Va for the people instead of the Administration:

This bill is divisive -- I mean that in a good way. People should end up dividing into two camps:

• "The Rule of Law" Camp
  • "The Ends Justify the Means" Camp
I would expect all here would camp with the Rule of Law category.

mpguy

HB 639 Concealed handgun permits; residents of the Commonwealth.
Jeffrey L. Campbell | all patrons ... notes
| add to my profiles

Summary as introduced:
Concealed handgun permits; residents of the Commonwealth. Allows any resident of the Commonwealth who is otherwise eligible to obtain a concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun without a permit anywhere he may lawfully carry a handgun within the Commonwealth.Full text:
01/07/14 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/08/14 14103074D pdf

01/07/14 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/08/14 14103074D
01/07/14 House: Referred to Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety
01/17/14 House: Stricken from docket by Militia, Police and Public Safety by voice vote

I wonder why it got voted down. Only difference now and post law if it had passed, is that the state backs up the 2nd.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I wonder why it got voted down. Only difference now and post law if it had passed, is that the state backs up the 2nd.

It wasn't voted down MP, it was pulled at the patron's request I believe. I think it had some Constitutional problems. Doesn't really matter because there was zero chance of it being signed into law.