Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Purchasing a handgun at 18 and OC?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8

    Purchasing a handgun at 18 and OC?

    I live in Missouri, Benton County to be exact. I usually travel to Kansas City, KS & Kansas City, MO
    Is it legal to buy a handgun second hand at 18, or does it need to be "gifted"? How would I go about doing so?

    Also, is it legal to OC at the age of 18 in Missouri & Kansas?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Federal law has no restriction on buying the handgun from a private party. It doesn't have to be "gifted." The federal restriction is on its licensees, the gun shops. They can't sell to you. Any transaction that doesn't involve them is only subject to state laws.

    Ask your question in the Missouri forum for fastest response of their laws for purchasing.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Federal law has no restriction on buying the handgun from a private party. It doesn't have to be "gifted." The federal restriction is on its licensees, the gun shops. They can't sell to you. Any transaction that doesn't involve them is only subject to state laws.

    Ask your question in the Missouri forum for fastest response of their laws for purchasing.
    Okay, thanks!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8

    OC and Second hand purchasing laws.

    I live in Benton County, but usually travel to KCK & KCMO.
    Can I purchase a handgun at 18, and what are the laws of OC at 18 if I can? Thanks!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    43
    Most of the time you can not purchase the firearm or ammo until you are 21. At the age of 18 you'd have to have someone buy it for you and "give" it to you. As far add oc in Iowa you'd have to be outside an incorporated city due to the fact you don't have your permit to carry. But I'm not a lawyer might check state laws


    Sent from my PantechP8010 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by lucas340 View Post
    Most of the time you can not purchase the firearm or ammo until you are 21. At the age of 18 you'd have to have someone buy it for you and "give" it to you. As far add oc in Iowa you'd have to be outside an incorporated city due to the fact you don't have your permit to carry. But I'm not a lawyer might check state laws


    Sent from my PantechP8010 using Tapatalk
    I was asking here about Missouri because of the following.

    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Federal law has no restriction on buying the handgun from a private party. It doesn't have to be "gifted." The federal restriction is on its licensees, the gun shops. They can't sell to you. Any transaction that doesn't involve them is only subject to state laws.

    Ask your question in the Missouri forum for fastest response of their laws for purchasing.
    From my research, I can purchase it from an individual but not from a dealer.
    I just need to find out at this point what the legal ages in Missouri/Kansas are. I may end up having to go to one of our police departments.
    Last edited by iConquer; 01-22-2014 at 11:45 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    43
    Might be a good idea. Sorry for jumping the gun didn't see you posted this in Missouri forum

    Sent from my PantechP8010 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Don't ask a LEO for legal advice

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Thank you!

  10. #10
    Regular Member JEStucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Independence, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    95
    You can purchase from an individual or have one gifted to you (parent, grandparent, sibling) at 18... You can also look into a Maine CCW, as their age is 18. This would allow you to carry concealed in the state of Missouri. I know there are a few instructors that teach a Maine certified course and can/will help you get the paperwork sent off.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by JEStucker View Post
    You can purchase from an individual or have one gifted to you (parent, grandparent, sibling) at 18... You can also look into a Maine CCW, as their age is 18. This would allow you to carry concealed in the state of Missouri. I know there are a few instructors that teach a Maine certified course and can/will help you get the paperwork sent off.
    I'd actually have to go to Maine to get a CCW from them though, correct?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southern MO
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by iConquer View Post
    I'd actually have to go to Maine to get a CCW from them though, correct?
    No! See below.

    http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...%20package.pdf

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by JEStucker View Post
    You can purchase from an individual or have one gifted to you (parent, grandparent, sibling) at 18... You can also look into a Maine CCW, as their age is 18. This would allow you to carry concealed in the state of Missouri. I know there are a few instructors that teach a Maine certified course and can/will help you get the paperwork sent off.
    According to this, Missouri does not recognize a Maine permit.

    http://ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weapons/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    According to this, Missouri does not recognize a Maine permit.

    http://ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weapons/
    Isn't that saying that Maine doesn't recognize Missouri permits?

    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maine.pdf

    ^ That says Missouri & Kansas recognize Maine permits.

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    According to this, Missouri does not recognize a Maine permit.

    http://ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weapons/
    You are reading that one wrongly. Reciprocity is more than recognition. There is no reciprocity, but MO does recognize ME (and everyone, for that matter).

    I'm pretty sure you know this and will be kicking yourself for writing faster than thinking.

    Now, you normally have to be 21 to get a MO permit, but I don't see any restrictions on recognizing an 18-yr old with a ME permit, like some states specifically do. Indeed, MO will grant permits to 18+ if they are military or veteran.
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-23-2014 at 02:31 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    You are reading that one wrongly. Reciprocity is more than recognition. There is no reciprocity, but MO does recognize ME (and everyone, for that matter).

    I'm pretty sure you know this and will be kicking yourself for writing faster than thinking.

    Now, you normally have to be 21 to get a MO permit, but I don't see any restrictions on recognizing an 18-yr old with a ME permit, like some states specifically do. Indeed, MO will grant permits to 18+ if they are military or veteran.
    You are correct - my bad.

    Missouri does recognize a Maine permit, but Maine does not accept one from Missouri = no reciprocity.
    http://legallyarmed.com/resources/statelist.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8
    Thanks everyone!

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Washington, MO
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You are correct - my bad.

    Missouri does recognize a Maine permit, but Maine does not accept one from Missouri = no reciprocity.
    http://legallyarmed.com/resources/statelist.html
    FYI - Kansas will also honor a Maine non-resident permit as of 7/1/2013

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    south central MO, USA
    Posts
    95
    Missouri recognizes permits from ANY state as long as those permits are legally obtained and valid.
    The price of freedom is on the wall.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •