• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purchasing a handgun at 18 and OC?

iConquer

I live in Missouri, Benton County to be exact. I usually travel to Kansas City, KS & Kansas City, MO
Is it legal to buy a handgun second hand at 18, or does it need to be "gifted"? How would I go about doing so?

Also, is it legal to OC at the age of 18 in Missouri & Kansas?

Thanks!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Federal law has no restriction on buying the handgun from a private party. It doesn't have to be "gifted." The federal restriction is on its licensees, the gun shops. They can't sell to you. Any transaction that doesn't involve them is only subject to state laws.

Ask your question in the Missouri forum for fastest response of their laws for purchasing.

iConquer

Federal law has no restriction on buying the handgun from a private party. It doesn't have to be "gifted." The federal restriction is on its licensees, the gun shops. They can't sell to you. Any transaction that doesn't involve them is only subject to state laws.

Ask your question in the Missouri forum for fastest response of their laws for purchasing.

Okay, thanks!

iConquer

OC and Second hand purchasing laws.

I live in Benton County, but usually travel to KCK & KCMO.
Can I purchase a handgun at 18, and what are the laws of OC at 18 if I can? Thanks!

lucas340

Most of the time you can not purchase the firearm or ammo until you are 21. At the age of 18 you'd have to have someone buy it for you and "give" it to you. As far add oc in Iowa you'd have to be outside an incorporated city due to the fact you don't have your permit to carry. But I'm not a lawyer might check state laws

Sent from my PantechP8010 using Tapatalk

iConquer

Most of the time you can not purchase the firearm or ammo until you are 21. At the age of 18 you'd have to have someone buy it for you and "give" it to you. As far add oc in Iowa you'd have to be outside an incorporated city due to the fact you don't have your permit to carry. But I'm not a lawyer might check state laws

I was asking here about Missouri because of the following.

From my research, I can purchase it from an individual but not from a dealer.
I just need to find out at this point what the legal ages in Missouri/Kansas are. I may end up having to go to one of our police departments.

Last edited:

lucas340

Might be a good idea. Sorry for jumping the gun didn't see you posted this in Missouri forum

JEStucker

You can purchase from an individual or have one gifted to you (parent, grandparent, sibling) at 18... You can also look into a Maine CCW, as their age is 18. This would allow you to carry concealed in the state of Missouri. I know there are a few instructors that teach a Maine certified course and can/will help you get the paperwork sent off.

iConquer

You can purchase from an individual or have one gifted to you (parent, grandparent, sibling) at 18... You can also look into a Maine CCW, as their age is 18. This would allow you to carry concealed in the state of Missouri. I know there are a few instructors that teach a Maine certified course and can/will help you get the paperwork sent off.

I'd actually have to go to Maine to get a CCW from them though, correct?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

According to this, Missouri does not recognize a Maine permit.

http://ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weapons/

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
According to this, Missouri does not recognize a Maine permit.

http://ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weapons/

You are reading that one wrongly. Reciprocity is more than recognition. There is no reciprocity, but MO does recognize ME (and everyone, for that matter).

I'm pretty sure you know this and will be kicking yourself for writing faster than thinking.

Now, you normally have to be 21 to get a MO permit, but I don't see any restrictions on recognizing an 18-yr old with a ME permit, like some states specifically do. Indeed, MO will grant permits to 18+ if they are military or veteran.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You are reading that one wrongly. Reciprocity is more than recognition. There is no reciprocity, but MO does recognize ME (and everyone, for that matter).

I'm pretty sure you know this and will be kicking yourself for writing faster than thinking.

Now, you normally have to be 21 to get a MO permit, but I don't see any restrictions on recognizing an 18-yr old with a ME permit, like some states specifically do. Indeed, MO will grant permits to 18+ if they are military or veteran.

You are correct - my bad.

Missouri does recognize a Maine permit, but Maine does not accept one from Missouri = no reciprocity.
http://legallyarmed.com/resources/statelist.html