Thread: Transferring firearms?

Transferring firearms?

How does one legally gain possession of a pistol after their father passes? Someone, we all know was willed his fathers Colt .45 LC. How would he, or anyone else legally register the pistol to themselves?
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

Sorry for your loss. I went through this when my father passed away. Take a copy of his death certificate with you to the pd. You will fill out the RI60 and in the section for the owner you will put deceased and then sign your name as purchaser and seller. At the time, "safety inspections" were still in effect so I had to take the gun with me. I don't think that would apply now.

Quote Originally Posted by WARCHILD View Post
    Sorry for your loss. I went through this when my father passed away. Take a copy of his death certificate with you to the pd. You will fill out the RI60 and in the section for the owner you will put deceased and then sign your name as purchaser and seller. At the time, "safety inspections" were still in effect so I had to take the gun with me. I don't think that would apply now.
    This is pretty much how it goes, although it "may" be illegal for this person to transport the pistol legally to the police department or wherever your county does pistol purchase permits before he gets it registered to himself, unless he himself is the representative of the estate or next of kin, but they don't have to physically remove the gun from where it is now days in order for one to register it to themselves, they just get a purchase permit first and write the gun description/caliber/serial number where it asks, and like warchild says, sign as seller and purchaser.
    Last edited by ninjatoth; 01-23-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Tell Neil - sorry for his loss Rick. Sucks getting old, no one is ever really ready for their parents to pass away.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Tell Neil - sorry for his loss Rick. Sucks getting old, no one is ever really ready for their parents to pass away.
    I will, I am sure he will appreciate it a lot.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
    This is pretty much how it goes, although it "may" be illegal for this person to transport the pistol legally to the police department or wherever your county does pistol purchase permits before he gets it registered to himself, unless he himself is the representative of the estate or next of kin, but they don't have to physically remove the gun from where it is now days in order for one to register it to themselves, they just get a purchase permit first and write the gun description/caliber/serial number where it asks, and like warchild says, sign as seller and purchaser.
    why would anyone want to take the pistols to the police department since inspections are no longer required?
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    why would anyone want to take the pistols to the police department since inspections are no longer required?
    They wouldn't, but I think it was only 5 years ago that they stopped requiring that, so some people might not know that yet.

Please convey my condolences to Neil as well.

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    If it was my first gun and I knew what I know now, I'd have it with me because I'd be carrying it.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Neil doesn't have a CPL last I checked. He'd need a permit to purchase, not an RI-60.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Neil doesn't have a CPL last I checked. He'd need a permit to purchase, not an RI-60.
    Always taking the the high road aren't you? The guy just lost his dad. Way to kick him when he's down Q. More examples of quality utterances from a quality person... /sarcasm. While I often don't agree with many posters, I do not try and attack them personally because they refuse to march to my little drum. That's the difference between those who truly understand freedom and those who simply hide behind it, IMHO.

ETA - Q may you one day be buried in the same kindness and compassion you have shown for others. Something tells me it will be a very, very, shallow grave.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 01-27-2014 at 06:59 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Always taking the the high road aren't you? The guy just lost his dad. Way to kick him when he's down Q. More examples of quality utterances from a quality person... /sarcasm. While I often don't agree with many posters, I do not try and attack them personally because they refuse to march to my little drum. That's the difference between those who truly understand freedom and those who simply hide behind it, IMHO.

ETA - Q may you one day be buried in the same kindness and compassion you have shown for others. Something tells me it will be a very, very, shallow grave.
    It was not intended to kick him. It was very factual. Someone mentioned an RI-60, which wouldn't be accurate in this case. I'm trying to make sure the correct course of action is given.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I don't know that he meant this as a slam on Neil.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

I don't see it as a slam either, merely trying to make sure the correct form was used as to avoid any really ugly legal problems. Neil and I have had our differences as well, but I would only wish him the best under these circumstances and would also try to make sure he did things the most legal way possible which would be with a purchase permit (I believe it is an RI-10)
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    I don't see it as a slam either, merely trying to make sure the correct form was used as to avoid any really ugly legal problems. Neil and I have had our differences as well, but I would only wish him the best under these circumstances and would also try to make sure he did things the most legal way possible which would be with a purchase permit (I believe it is an RI-10)
    I also agree, the OP wasn't here to get condolences, they wanted advice. I don't have a cpl either and wouldn't have taken it as a slam.

Banned
    Really all he should have to do is to pick them up ... more guberment interference.