• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transferring firearms?

OneForAll

How does one legally gain possession of a pistol after their father passes? Someone, we all know was willed his fathers Colt .45 LC. How would he, or anyone else legally register the pistol to themselves?

WARCHILD

Sorry for your loss. I went through this when my father passed away. Take a copy of his death certificate with you to the pd. You will fill out the RI60 and in the section for the owner you will put deceased and then sign your name as purchaser and seller. At the time, "safety inspections" were still in effect so I had to take the gun with me. I don't think that would apply now.

ninjatoth

Sorry for your loss. I went through this when my father passed away. Take a copy of his death certificate with you to the pd. You will fill out the RI60 and in the section for the owner you will put deceased and then sign your name as purchaser and seller. At the time, "safety inspections" were still in effect so I had to take the gun with me. I don't think that would apply now.

This is pretty much how it goes, although it "may" be illegal for this person to transport the pistol legally to the police department or wherever your county does pistol purchase permits before he gets it registered to himself, unless he himself is the representative of the estate or next of kin, but they don't have to physically remove the gun from where it is now days in order for one to register it to themselves, they just get a purchase permit first and write the gun description/caliber/serial number where it asks, and like warchild says, sign as seller and purchaser.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Tell Neil - sorry for his loss Rick. Sucks getting old, no one is ever really ready for their parents to pass away. :(

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
This is pretty much how it goes, although it "may" be illegal for this person to transport the pistol legally to the police department or wherever your county does pistol purchase permits before he gets it registered to himself, unless he himself is the representative of the estate or next of kin, but they don't have to physically remove the gun from where it is now days in order for one to register it to themselves, they just get a purchase permit first and write the gun description/caliber/serial number where it asks, and like warchild says, sign as seller and purchaser.

why would anyone want to take the pistols to the police department since inspections are no longer required?

FreeInAZ

Neil doesn't have a CPL last I checked. He'd need a permit to purchase, not an RI-60.

Always taking the the high road aren't you? The guy just lost his dad. Way to kick him when he's down Q. More examples of quality utterances from a quality person... /sarcasm. While I often don't agree with many posters, I do not try and attack them personally because they refuse to march to my little drum. That's the difference between those who truly understand freedom and those who simply hide behind it, IMHO.

ETA - Q may you one day be buried in the same kindness and compassion you have shown for others. Something tells me it will be a very, very, shallow grave.

Last edited:

TheQ

Always taking the the high road aren't you? The guy just lost his dad. Way to kick him when he's down Q. More examples of quality utterances from a quality person... /sarcasm. While I often don't agree with many posters, I do not try and attack them personally because they refuse to march to my little drum. That's the difference between those who truly understand freedom and those who simply hide behind it, IMHO.

ETA - Q may you one day be buried in the same kindness and compassion you have shown for others. Something tells me it will be a very, very, shallow grave.

It was not intended to kick him. It was very factual. Someone mentioned an RI-60, which wouldn't be accurate in this case. I'm trying to make sure the correct course of action is given.

Raggs

I don't know that he meant this as a slam on Neil.

Ezerharden

I don't see it as a slam either, merely trying to make sure the correct form was used as to avoid any really ugly legal problems. Neil and I have had our differences as well, but I would only wish him the best under these circumstances and would also try to make sure he did things the most legal way possible which would be with a purchase permit (I believe it is an RI-10)

ninjatoth

I don't see it as a slam either, merely trying to make sure the correct form was used as to avoid any really ugly legal problems. Neil and I have had our differences as well, but I would only wish him the best under these circumstances and would also try to make sure he did things the most legal way possible which would be with a purchase permit (I believe it is an RI-10)

I also agree, the OP wasn't here to get condolences, they wanted advice. I don't have a cpl either and wouldn't have taken it as a slam.