• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

buy ammo for someone else?

covi

if the person is over 21, can you buy ammo for them? like dicks sporting goods has a limit of 1 box of 22 per customer. if i asked someone to buy it for me gave them the money and they purchased it, gave it to me in the parking lot. is that illegal? cant find anything on it

solus

if the person is over 21, can you buy ammo for them? like dicks sporting goods has a limit of 1 box of 22 per customer. if i asked someone to buy it for me gave them the money and they purchased it, gave it to me in the parking lot. is that illegal? cant find anything on it

covi, first congrats on finding 22s. that said, IANA, there is nothing illegal with you purchasing ammunition for someone over the age of 21. i do not normally do it unless the person is a friend as i have been approached by strangers asking me to purchase and i graciously say...nawwwelll!

in fact, you may purchase 'rifle' hunting caliber ammunition for someone >18 but remember not handgun ammo tho.

the gun stores around goldsboro are having their friends go to all of three of the wally worlds bright and early and buy up ALL THE FLIPPING ammunition in short supply for the individual businesses. one store is proud of their ill gained bounty and selling 9 mm for almost $40/bx which they paid $25 for earlier in the day. i guess the handling charge from wally to their business - about a mile, is costly!

nothing illegal about it just seems a bit unethical IMHO.

ipse

Last edited:

covi

i didnt do it i was just wondering. i have found it a few times. i actually sold my remington 597 because i couldent find ammo for it. instead i bought a mossberg 500 with the pistol grip. that serves two purposes home defense and hunting

ATM

Campaign Veteran
...in fact, you may purchase 'rifle' hunting caliber ammunition for someone >18 but remember not handgun ammo tho...

Does NC have some state statute which prohibits purchasing handgun ammo for someone 18-21? There is no such restriction in Federal code.

solus

Does NC have some state statute which prohibits purchasing handgun ammo for someone 18-21? There is no such restriction in Federal code.

tis a federal mandate:
18 usc §922 Unlawful acts.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

page 8 in the following cite: https://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

922 (x) (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile—
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.
(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess—
(A) a handgun; or

page 14 same reference.

that federal code enough?

ipse

Last edited:

ATM

Campaign Veteran
tis a federal mandate:
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

page 8 in the following cite: https://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

922 (x) (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile—
(A) a handgun; or
(A) a handgun; or

page 14 same reference.

ipse

You cited 922 (b) which is only a restriction upon Federal licensees, and 922 (x)(1) which only prohibits selling or giving handguns or handgun ammo to juveniles.

922 (x)(5) removes the possibility that juvenile could mean less than 21: For purposes of this subsection, the term “juvenile” means a person who is less than 18 years of age.

So, no, what you've cited does not make your case. I don't see any Federal restriction to purchasing handgun ammo for someone 18-21 for most people.

Last edited:

solus

the individual from the great Hoosier state is correct, it seems i did not sufficiently address the spirit and intent of of their query from a 'john q citizen' perspective.

However, if i might be given the latitude to further quantify my initial posting, addressing the OP's initial query, while i put in my caveat in the first sentence, my posting should have further clarified the second sentence as stating "I personally would not purchase nor give handgun ammunition for someone > 18-21 unless i knew the nature of the use of the ammunition."

that stated...

i sure as the devil would not want to be seen as advocating this kind of policy nor answerable to or undergo scrutiny by the judicial system for giving/selling/providing handgun ammunition to someone 18-21 or any type of ammunition to anybody <18 and then having that someone use the supplied ammunition i provided for mischief or criminal activities.

Please carry on those types of activities if it is your custom in the Hoosier state or elsewhere in these great United States.

I hope that provides further clarification which satisfies my intent and your query.

ipse

Last edited:

ATM

Campaign Veteran
...Please carry on those types of activities if it is your custom in the Hoosier state or elsewhere in these great United States.

I hope that provides further clarification which satisfies my intent and your query.

ipse

I'm sure it is a common and lawful activity in most states as relatively few prohibit 18 year-olds from carrying handguns or the ammunition for them.

I'm still not sure if NC is one of those states. If not, there would be no basis for any judicial scrutiny upon the provider of ammo, only the person who chose to use it criminally.

We can thank the ridiculous FFL ammo sales restriction for this nuisance, but it really is nothing more than that.

razor_baghdad

tis a federal mandate:

(A) a handgun; or
(A) a handgun; or

page 14 same reference.

ipse

to add to the confusing statute: My question is "With the proliferation of 9mm uppers, the "suitable for use only in a handgun" is pretty much obsolete in regards to that caliber?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any friends between 18-21 so I'm not gonna run out and buy the neighborhood ammo, but the 9mm Q just popped into my head. What constitutes "suitable for use only in a handgun"?

ATM

Campaign Veteran
The term "suitable for use only in a handgun" was pretty much obsolete when the uninformed legislators first came up with the absurd notion.

There remain very few calibers if any that would actually be bound by such a strict parameter.

The nuisance for those 18-21 is the stores that have adopt tighter sales policies than the actual restriction requires - likely because their policy makers are as uninformed on caliber platforms as the legislators were.