Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71

Thread: Open Carry vs Concealed Carry? What about a compromise - Announced Carry?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shelton, WA
    Posts
    9

    Open Carry vs Concealed Carry? What about a compromise - Announced Carry?

    There is an excellent case made for OC here:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...nsive-response

    The problem with OC, especially in WA state, is the law is unclear and you could frequently be stopped by the police. So why not put the word "ARMED" in large letters on the back of your shirt, jacket, or vest and then carry concealed? Similarly, why not add "DRIVER ARMED" signage to your vehicle and wear a cap that says "ARMED" on the front? Add a picture of a gun for extra effect. Would this not give you the best of both worlds?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    why?
    Posts
    432
    Last edited by scott58dh; 06-27-2014 at 02:25 AM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shelton, WA
    Posts
    9
    [QUOTE=scott58dh;2028665]
    Quote Originally Posted by rtb47 View Post
    There is an excellent case made for OC here:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...nsive-response

    So why not put the word "ARMED" in large letters on (YOUR) back ,,,

    I've taken the liberty to edit your post, just for the sake of showing how bad an idea I believe you are presenting to resolve this issue.

    You mean something like this ? , ,, clic pic,,, Attachment 11157

    OR,,, Attachment 11159

    So, to answer the question, let me say this,,,

    Attachment 11158
    I don't get your point. Can you explain it better? I think Announced Carry (AC) would be nearly as good as OC, but not draw the attention of the police.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    why?
    Posts
    432
    Carry Safe & Smart !
    Last edited by scott58dh; 06-27-2014 at 02:22 AM.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Screw OC v. CC. UC all the way, baby!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Screw OC v. CC. UC all the way, baby!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>
    So have you purchased the domain name Ohio for Unlicensed Carry from Go Daddy.com yet

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    I have discussed starting OFUC.com, but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Domain is available for 14 Grand. No thanks!

    OFUC.net seems to be available.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    why?
    Posts
    432
    "The Beat Goes On".
    Last edited by scott58dh; 06-27-2014 at 02:21 AM.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    UC is Unlicensed Carry. That is what the 2A is all about. Ohio almost has UC. A few (major) flaws: I need a license to carry in my car. I need a license to carry in a bar. I need a license to carry within 1000' of a school. Screw that! All infringements!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    why?
    Posts
    432
    "Go Big or Go Home"
    Last edited by scott58dh; 06-27-2014 at 02:20 AM.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    No way I'll be a catalyst. Hell, I'll only be on OCDO a few more weeks at most before they unceremoniously dump my ass!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  13. #13
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I have discussed starting OFUC.com, but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet!

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>
    will forth coming project be more successful than your last endeavor: http://civility.eye95.org/index/ ?

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  14. #14
    Regular Member Fuller Malarkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Cadre
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    No way I'll be a catalyst. Hell, I'll only be on OCDO a few more weeks at most before they unceremoniously dump my ass!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>


    I think there would be some ceremony.
    Last edited by Fuller Malarkey; 01-24-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

    From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

    "People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Shelton, WA
    Posts
    9

    Question Back to the subject of Announced Carry

    Where did I go wrong here? I was hoping to see some thoughtful discussion about what I call ANNOUNCED CARRY (AC). Some more thoughts on this:
    1. You would be on much firmer ground with AC vs. OC against the law because now you have not only the 2nd amendment on your side, but the 1st Amendment as well. The courts would have a MUCH harder time doing anything against you because some stupid cop says the word ARMED on your back would "warrant alarm for the safety of other persons" (the law in WA state). You just say it is a 1st Amendment right. Even liberal activist judges like the 1st Amendment.
    2. Having "ARMED DRIVER" in big letters on the back of your vehicle would really cut down on being tailgated. :-)
    Last edited by rtb47; 01-24-2014 at 02:36 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    41
    Just remember that Open carry has been seen by most courts since about 1810 as the "lawful means" of carrying. I disagree with their rulings concerning concealed carry, but they have said that concealed carry can be banned because it basically "incites" men to be "criminals" and "not honorable" to hide a weapon from a potential foe. Its a bit of a stupid mindset from the early 1800's of "honorable duals" vs someone coming up with a hidden gun and "murdering" them (not giving them a chance to defend themselves. Only criminals "would do that".

  17. #17
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by NMOCr View Post
    Just remember that Open carry has been seen by most courts since about 1810 as the "lawful means" of carrying. I disagree with their rulings concerning concealed carry, but they have said that concealed carry can be banned because it basically "incites" men to be "criminals" and "not honorable" to hide a weapon from a potential foe. Its a bit of a stupid mindset from the early 1800's of "honorable duals" vs someone coming up with a hidden gun and "murdering" them (not giving them a chance to defend themselves. Only criminals "would do that".
    Do keep in mind sir, that you are looking at this through 21st century eyes. For those in the early 19th century, this was perfectly normal thought. And yes, I do know that this can be said for a lot of things. But nevertheless, it is true. Change comes about in two ways: naturally or by force.

    In my state, open carry still remains as the "normal" mode of carrying a sidearm while concealing it requires permission from our employees (servants).
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  18. #18
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Bad idea.....really bad idea. Go ahead and give it a shot. Get back to us as to how it goes. Ya never know.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    I think there would be some ceremony.
    I gotta box of fine wine (no, really)!
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  20. #20
    Regular Member moonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    High Point NC
    Posts
    253
    What experience do you have with this group of people that makes you think we are the type that compromise?
    We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.

    Thomas Jefferson

  21. #21
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Bad Idea.

    If anything your idea could be construed to "warrant alarm" more than simply just going about your business carrying.

    You are wrong about the law. Although not worded perfectly, it does not justify stops by police for simply OC.

    I have gotten a settlement from the police, and so has another Bellingham OC'er.

    Remember the rule of lenity applies to government laws. Don't let them trick you into thinking it doesn't.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    In all the cases I have seen here, and all the cases I know of IRL, the only times they managed to actually "get" the carrier was when he was doing something, besides just carrying, that they (rightly or wrongly) claimed caused "alarm."

    I would argue that wearing a shirt that informs folks of my carry status could not possibly warrant a reasonable person to become alarmed and, therefore, should not even justify a stop, let alone arrest or conviction. However, I have seen cases about which I'd say the same thing result in convictions--or at least being run through the ringer.

    I would specifically warn against moving your gun from one place to another in your vehicle, pointing fingers at folks while armed, or slinging an AR on your back in addition to carrying your OC handgun while playing chess in a park with a homeless man. All of those will result in convictions, which may or may not stand on review.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  23. #23
    Regular Member MaxPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    UC is Unlicensed Carry. That is what the 2A is all about. Ohio almost has UC. A few (major) flaws: I need a license to carry in my car. I need a license to carry in a bar. I need a license to carry within 1000' of a school. Screw that! All infringements!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>
    This would make a fine start to a Dr. Seuss story.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Motofixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Posts
    974
    There was the case of the younger guy in the airport that was arrested after stripping to his underwear revealing the 4th written on his chest. His charge was considered a protest and therefore protected. So the aforementioned idea may actually have some merit.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

    The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

    http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

  25. #25
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    No way I'll be a catalyst. Hell, I'll only be on OCDO a few more weeks at most before they unceremoniously dump my ass!

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. <o>
    could this considered suicide by moderator?

    non-alcohol beverage for me

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •