• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the forum need an opinion

benchwarmer

Ok so this is officially my first post :) I'm excited to be apart of such a great community.

I should be getting my CWP in the mail any day now. I already have my handgun that i plan to carry which is a Beretta 96A1 .40 cal

I would like to get any and all opinions on this weapon for anybody who has used it and especially from anybody who regularly carries this weapon as their concealed handgun.

Also on a side note any good comfortable carry holsters for this weapon?

Also I'm a bigger guy 6'5 230lbs

Thanks in advanceimages.jpg

Last edited:

Maverick9

Ok so this is officially my first post :) I'm excited to be apart of such a great community.

I should be getting my CWP in the mail any day now. I already have my handgun that i plan to carry which is a Beretta 96A1 .40 cal

I would like to get any and all opinions on this weapon for anybody who has used it and especially from anybody who regularly carries this weapon as their concealed handgun.

Thanks in advanceView attachment 11160

Wow, welcome to the 'Selecting a Handgun' forum. Since you've already 'Selected a Handgun', isn't an opinion of little use?

Second you can not get a Concealed Weapons Permit in Michigan. You -can- get a CPL.

michigan_concealed_weapon_permit.jpg

For your holster needs, see our sister forum 'Holsters and Accessories'.

You mentioned 'size' for some reason. Size isn't especially relevant in an OPEN CARRY configuration. Please see any number of concealed carry, IWB type holsters, weapons statutes, knife forums. If you mean 'back up gun' concealed information, I'd say that firearm is very tiny and should be fine in any holster that fits.

The Beretta Forum has a few negative comments; http://www.berettausa.com/products/model-96a1/#tabid_1

"Great gun, no holster options". It weighs over 40 ounces loaded. (34.4 unloaded).

Check here for stats: http://www.genitron.com/Handgun/Beretta/Pistol/96A1/40-SW/Variant-1

You could probably stop the threat just by hitting the attacker with this device.

HTH, and again, welcome to OCDO.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
View attachment 11160

I would offer an opinion but I don't qualify to do so since I don't fit your criteria. However that being said, I'll break in and offer something.

The Beretta 92 series are classics and can be excellent choices for carry; primarily for open carry due to their size and weight. And their size and weight are their main negatives for some people. But there are a lot of folks who choose to carry 1911's and those are also a bit on the larger and heavier size, too. What this means is that it is entirely a personal choice. The concealability of the gun is not as good as some other choices but it certainly can be done.

Holsters. Fobus Evolution series has one for your gun (may want to stay clear of the standard Fobus holster). Their Evolution series is a good one. DeSantis also has one for your gun. Not sure about the Blackhawk Serpa series but you might want to research that as well. Checkout Beretta holsters. There are more. Just do a search on "holsters for Beretta 91A1".

benchwarmer

Wow i'm sorry both of you guys seem irritated at me for some reason...

Should i have put this post somewhere else? If so please let me know where it would have been better placed. I guess i could have placed it under holsters but i really wanted an opinion on the firearm itself.

Also I didn't say you couldn't give an opinion just that i especially would like to hear from those of you who are familiar with the weapon. I said CWP (concealed weapons permit) CPL, CCW cmon man you know what i meant was it really necessary to correct me? I've seen the term CCW referenced on michigan.gov so yeah not really necessary and it came off kind of rude. I mean it was my first post did you have to be a ******? I really don't want to start a war of words, i just want some information and help with the topics stated in my first post.

benchwarmer

I would offer an opinion but I don't qualify to do so since I don't fit your criteria. However that being said, I'll break in and offer something.

The Beretta 92 series are classics and can be excellent choices for carry; primarily for open carry due to their size and weight. And their size and weight are their main negatives for some people. But there are a lot of folks who choose to carry 1911's and those are also a bit on the larger and heavier size, too. What this means is that it is entirely a personal choice. The concealability of the gun is not as good as some other choices but it certainly can be done.

Holsters. Fobus Evolution series has one for your gun (may want to stay clear of the standard Fobus holster). Their Evolution series is a good one. DeSantis also has one for your gun. Not sure about the Blackhawk Serpa series but you might want to research that as well. Checkout Beretta holsters. There are more. Just do a search on "holsters for Beretta 91A1".

Thanks southernboy for the information on the holsters i appreciate it i've heard of the Desantis and Blackhawk holsters. I have been thinking about a getting a back holster as it seems like a better option for concealment with this weapon

OC for ME

Given your build a large frame semi-auto can be concealed. Try out a few holsters and use the one that meets your requirements for comfort and ease of draw.

I OC and only CC when I put a jacket/coat on. I really don't try to CC to effectively. Have the CC permit only to be "legal" when the weather turns.

Welcome to OCDO.

P.S. Post #2 is what it is.

Primus

Try appendix carry. Easy to conceal large frame pistol. I'm able to conceal a full size block no problem. Also back or hip carry gets exposed a lot when you bend over or move around.

Whatever place you put it just do lots of practice drawing from concealment with the firearm empty. Do it at home and incorporate dry fire with it.

Good luck.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Fuller Malarkey

Welcome aboard. I think.

You may have taken a right when you needed to take a left on your way here. Open carry of a legally carried handgun doesn't involve covering the firearm up, hiding it, engaging in a game of deception or pandering to one's fears of rejection or conforming to the pressures of certain government enforcers and / or public reactions to that which they do not understand.

Let's try it another way.......you just signed up with a nudist colony, and the first thing you want to know is how to dress for dinner. Yer gonna be met with some of this:

wtf.jpg

As far as your choice in carry weapon......the choice has been made, right? There's threads where you can do the show and tell thing, however, you'll find your "cred" here isn't based on your taste in defensive tools as much as your willingness to support the right of yourself and others in invoking the right to carry defensive tools. If what you have for a carry piece works for you, what can another's opinion change? There's holster threads and folks here with a wealth of knowledge as far as maintenance and upgrades to enhance performance and reliability.

Again, welcome. I think if you gear your questions a bit more towards the safe practice of open carry, you'll find some warmer responces.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO!:D

The other members do not sound irritated, IMHO. They are trying to get across that this is a OPEN CARRY site. And our primary focus is promoting OPEN CARRY. Most all firearms are acceptable for OPEN CARRY, including the one you are buying. Concealed carry there are other sites that are more focused on CC.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Thanks southernboy for the information on the holsters i appreciate it i've heard of the Desantis and Blackhawk holsters. I have been thinking about a getting a back holster as it seems like a better option for concealment with this weapon

You're welcome. I have used both of these holsters and my preference is the Fobus Evolution belt holster and the Comp-Tac belt (not available for your gun in the 'A1' configuration). For concealed carry the DeSantis is a good bet because it does tend to hug the body a bit more than the Blackhawk Serpa and the Fobus Evolution.

As for carrying at your six (back), I would suggest that may not be the best place for your gun to live. It's going to be much harder to get to it in your car, should the need arise, than a more common carry at your three 'o clock position (nine if you're left handed). Could also pose a concern during your draw with over clothing, such as an untucked shirt or a coat. You'd be well served to give this some very serious consideration, not only your carry location but what to use as well. Holsters are VERY important items in your total weapons system. So don't rush... take your time and you'll wind up with something that really works for you.

Wow i'm sorry both of you guys seem irritated at me for some reason...

Should i have put this post somewhere else? If so please let me know where it would have been better placed. I guess i could have placed it under holsters but i really wanted an opinion on the firearm itself.

Also I didn't say you couldn't give an opinion just that i especially would like to hear from those of you who are familiar with the weapon. I said CWP (concealed weapons permit) CPL, CCW cmon man you know what i meant was it really necessary to correct me? I've seen the term CCW referenced on michigan.gov so yeah not really necessary and it came off kind of rude. I mean it was my first post did you have to be a ******? I really don't want to start a war of words, i just want some information and help with the topics stated in my first post.

Rudeness and arrogance tends to be the norm for some people on this site. That and a lack of civility and just plain common decency. PC also tends to reign a bit. In fairness, some like to kid a bit with newbies.

Last edited:

mobiushky

Perhaps it might help to give the forum a brief explanation of your experience? I don't mean a resume, but just so the community knows where you stand for experience. IE, "this is the first gun I've ever touched and I haven't fired it yet." OR "I've owned guns all my life and this is #2,652 in the collection. But I've never had a Beretta..." Or what ever in between.

From my read, it sounds like you've never owned a gun before based on your OP. But I wouldn't want to make that assumption because I could be wrong.

As to the Beretta, I don't own one, but I have friends who have. One friend who carried the 92FS for 18 years. He loved it. His only complaint was the position of the safety and that he frequently knocked it on when he was practicing malfunction drills. Which meant he'd clear a malfunction and then pull the trigger on a safe'd gun. He hated that, but loved the gun in general. YMMV.

As for the 96A1 itself, if you like it, run it. Practice like your life depends on that practice.

benchwarmer

Perhaps it might help to give the forum a brief explanation of your experience? I don't mean a resume, but just so the community knows where you stand for experience. IE, "this is the first gun I've ever touched and I haven't fired it yet." OR "I've owned guns all my life and this is #2,652 in the collection. But I've never had a Beretta..." Or what ever in between.

From my read, it sounds like you've never owned a gun before based on your OP. But I wouldn't want to make that assumption because I could be wrong.

As to the Beretta, I don't own one, but I have friends who have. One friend who carried the 92FS for 18 years. He loved it. His only complaint was the position of the safety and that he frequently knocked it on when he was practicing malfunction drills. Which meant he'd clear a malfunction and then pull the trigger on a safe'd gun. He hated that, but loved the gun in general. YMMV.

As for the 96A1 itself, if you like it, run it. Practice like your life depends on that practice.

Thanks for the opinions to all and yes i have owned and been around guns all my life, this is only my 2nd handgun, my first was a Kimber 1911. A wise person once told me "Practice like you play, or you'll play like you practice". I've put around 200 rounds through it so far, but once the weather gets better (i shoot at an outdoor range) practicing is the first thing i'll do. Also i have no problem with open carrying, however does anybody here conceal carry also? I'm just a redneck from northern michigan so yeah i grew up hunting about anything a person can hunt. That involved all types of shotguns, rifles, and Bows.

Last edited:

Primus

Thanks for the opinions to all and yes i have owned and been around guns all my life, this is only my 2nd handgun, my first was a Kimber 1911. A wise person once told me "Practice like you play, or you'll play like you practice". I've put around 200 rounds through it so far, but once the weather gets better (i shoot at an outdoor range) practicing is the first thing i'll do. Also i have no problem with open carrying, however does anybody here conceal carry also? I'm just a redneck from northern michigan so yeah i grew up hunting about anything a person can hunt. That involved all types of shotguns, rifles, and Bows.

Yes a few of us conceal carry on a frequent basis.... just don't speak of it .... ye will be smited lol

stealthyeliminator

I CC only, nobody gives me grief for it. :lol:

Please excuse the abrasiveness of some replies. Stick around! Let us know how you like your new handgun once you've gotten it "broken in"

Primus

Maverick9

In fairness, some like to kid a bit with newbies.

Yup.
Searching Google:

Caliber: 9mm Luger
Barrel Length: 4.9”
Overall Length: 8.5”
Weight: 34.4 oz
Action: DA/SA with safety/decocker
Finish: Teflon-based Bruniton Black
Capacity: 17+1
Price: MSRP $690.

http://guns.findthebest.com/l/536/Beretta-96A1

For CC, I'd say C-. Too big, .40 = heavy bullets, 17rd mag, total weight north of three pounds.

Can you take it back? (save the receipt).

Hth

Firearms Iinstuctor

Yup.
Searching Google:

Caliber: 9mm Luger
Barrel Length: 4.9”
Overall Length: 8.5”
Weight: 34.4 oz
Action: DA/SA with safety/decocker
Finish: Teflon-based Bruniton Black
Capacity: 17+1
Price: MSRP $690.

http://guns.findthebest.com/l/536/Beretta-96A1

For CC, I'd say C-. Too big, .40 = heavy bullets, 17rd mag, total weight north of three pounds.

Can you take it back? (save the receipt).

Hth

He's from MI 9 months out of the year he is wearing a jacket or coat he could CCW a AR with out to much trouble

I CC carried a lot of full sized guns.

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

Fuller just ask me on a date brother. My wife doesn't even give me as much love and attention as you do.

If you need a gf I'll make you a profile at match.com if you want. But shed probably break up for thinking about and talking about me so much... :)

Brother? No porcine DNA flows through my veins. :lol:

So. I post a truth about you, that you don't open carry, and, well, that magnifies the question as to what an anti-open carry / anti liberty antagonist would be doing here, doesn't it?

You translate that into a **** erotic fascination in beastiality. Do I really need to point out to you that your response is a non sequitur? Your response just doesn't follow.

LouieLouie

Thanks in advanceView attachment 11160

Open carry: Good quality RIGID kydex holster and a kydex mag pouch with the bullets forward. If using a retention device on that holster, incorporate turning it off into your draw stroke. Also incorporate turning off the Beretta's safety into your draw stroke.

Concealed Carry: Good quality kydex AIWB or hip area IWB holster. Stay away from SOB carry.