• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the forum need an opinion

WalkingWolf

Open carry: Good quality RIGID kydex holster and a kydex mag pouch with the bullets forward. If using a retention device on that holster, incorporate turning it off into your draw stroke. Also incorporate turning off the Beretta's safety into your draw stroke.

Concealed Carry: Good quality kydex AIWB or hip area IWB holster. Stay away from SOB carry.

I highly disagree, nobody should turn off any safety device on a firearm until that firearm is pointed in a safe direction at a target or threat. That is exactly how Tex Grubner got a ventilated thigh.

Again NEVER defeat a safety until the firearm is on target. If one is to carry double action with the safety off, leave it off in the holster consistently. Taking it off in the holster will encourage the finger to diddle the trigger causing it to climax too soon.

notalawyer

I highly disagree, nobody should turn off any safety device on a firearm until that firearm is pointed in a safe direction at a target or threat. That is exactly how Tex Grubner got a ventilated thigh.

Again NEVER defeat a safety until the firearm is on target. If one is to carry double action with the safety off, leave it off in the holster consistently. Taking it off in the holster will encourage the finger to diddle the trigger causing it to climax too soon.

No, Tex shot himself because he is an idiot and pulled the trigger before the pistol was pointed in a safe direction. :banghead:

LouieLouie

When I say "draw stroke" I mean the entire process of presenting the gun.

WalkingWolf

No, Tex shot himself because he is an idiot and pulled the trigger before the pistol was pointed in a safe direction. :banghead:

I won't argue he was a idiot but he did two things that resulted in his injury. He tool OFF his safety, and then he pulled the trigger. A 1911 will not fire with the safety on with the trigger pulled.

notalawyer

I won't argue he was a idiot but he did two things that resulted in his injury. He tool OFF his safety, and then he pulled the trigger. A 1911 will not fire with the safety on with the trigger pulled.

No, he only did one thing. He pulled the trigger.

If he would not have pulled the trigger, the gun would not have fired regardless of the presence, or position, of this 'safety'.

And people are stupid to trust that their pistol will not fire, because of the safety, when they pull the trigger. This leads some idiots to do stupid things!

mobiushky

Thanks for the opinions to all and yes i have owned and been around guns all my life, this is only my 2nd handgun, my first was a Kimber 1911. A wise person once told me "Practice like you play, or you'll play like you practice". I've put around 200 rounds through it so far, but once the weather gets better (i shoot at an outdoor range) practicing is the first thing i'll do. Also i have no problem with open carrying, however does anybody here conceal carry also? I'm just a redneck from northern michigan so yeah i grew up hunting about anything a person can hunt. That involved all types of shotguns, rifles, and Bows.

I split my time between open and concealed depending on where I'm going. Sometimes I'm going places I know I can't OC, so I'll just CC for the day. I generally OC when I'm out and about if I can. But up here, I'm often wearing a coat over it for at least part of the day.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I have a Beretta 92 which I CC sometimes in a Galco OWB holster and I find it pretty comfortable. It conceals pretty well, but I'm a big guy, so if you're slender you might have trouble concealing it. I carry without the safety engaged, which is sort of the point of a DA/SO pistol. As far as I know, there are no small-of-the-back (SOB) holsters for the 92/96, but I strongly recommend against carrying any but small flat pistols there anyway, because a fall backward onto a large pistol can cause serious low back damage. One key to carrying a large pistol is a proper belt. The best holster in the world won't be comfortable if your belt doesn't provide enough support. Your belt needs to be pretty rigid and at least 1.5" wide. There are a number of companies which make leather or nylon belts with a sewn-in stiffener and I recommend you get one. You'll probably swallow hard when you see the price, but you only need one and if you don't have a proper belt, you'll eventually stop carrying your pistol.

Good luck and pay no attention to the grumps. Many of us here OC and CC both.