• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vons, Horizon/Horizon, Henderson posted.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
We're not telling anyone how to act.

We're telling them how WE intend to act, thus giving them the opportunity to decide whether or not to keep our business.

That's pretty much how I was going to put it, as well.

It is a significant difference from what freedom-takers think and say.

The Big Guy

Boulder City

Happened to be in BC and drove by the Von's store. No signs on the doors there.

TBG

jdholmes

Looks like it's time for an email campaign.

TBG

I sent off an email:

I wanted to make you aware of a recent shopping experience I had.

My family and I were intending to visit your store and shop for our monthly grocery list, however upon our arrival we were greeted with a sign at the door stating 'NO GUNS ALLOWED'.

This sign presents a serious concern for my personal safety and that of my family.

Given that the only people who will heed these signs are law abiding citizens and given that predators statistically target areas where victims are less likely to be armed - these signs do nothing to ensure the safety of your patrons. In fact, there is good chance that you are putting your patrons at an increased risk of harm just by posting these signs.

Given these facts and the fact that many of your competitors in Nevada respect the second amendment of the US constitution by following State Law and allowing their customers to protect themselves in a way that the Federal Government sees appropriate rather than taking measures into their own hands to disarm law abiding citizens, I must regretfully inform you that neither myself nor my family will be shopping in your stores until these signs are removed.

Further, I will do my best to ensure that my friends, coworkers and anyone I care about is aware of the danger they are being put in by shopping in your stores.

In the future my business will be given to stores like Winco, Walmart and Sam's Club - who maintain my right to defend myself and my family, whose policies don't circumvent State Law and who don't advertise a 'gun free zone' for predators.

Hopefully it helps.

Breadslinger

As of 2-8-2014 the signs at three different Vons stores have been removed. Look for this to be the same for all stores very soon.

The Big Guy

I sent off an email:

I wanted to make you aware of a recent shopping experience I had.

My family and I were intending to visit your store and shop for our monthly grocery list, however upon our arrival we were greeted with a sign at the door stating 'NO GUNS ALLOWED'.

This sign presents a serious concern for my personal safety and that of my family.

Given that the only people who will heed these signs are law abiding citizens and given that predators statistically target areas where victims are less likely to be armed - these signs do nothing to ensure the safety of your patrons. In fact, there is good chance that you are putting your patrons at an increased risk of harm just by posting these signs.

Given these facts and the fact that many of your competitors in Nevada respect the second amendment of the US constitution by following State Law and allowing their customers to protect themselves in a way that the Federal Government sees appropriate rather than taking measures into their own hands to disarm law abiding citizens, I must regretfully inform you that neither myself nor my family will be shopping in your stores until these signs are removed.

Further, I will do my best to ensure that my friends, coworkers and anyone I care about is aware of the danger they are being put in by shopping in your stores.

In the future my business will be given to stores like Winco, Walmart and Sam's Club - who maintain my right to defend myself and my family, whose policies don't circumvent State Law and who don't advertise a 'gun free zone' for predators.

Hopefully it helps.

Interesting. I got a letter from them on Friday saying it was for the safety of their customers and they hoped I would still shop with them. That doesn't sound like they are caving in. You didn't say which 3 stores took down signs and when they did this. I'd be interested to know.

TBG

Breadslinger

You didn't say which 3 stores took down signs and when they did this. I'd be interested to know.

TBG

Apologies.
I'm sure it's after the fact now, but the three in question are at Rampart/Charleston, Desert Inn/Durango, & Skypoint/Buffalo. I first noticed the signs were missing Saturday morning 2/8/14.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

Just to check it out the wife and I went in Von's Black Mountain and picked up some milk. No issues and I know one employee noticed. Seems positive.

TBG

TrmptPlyr

This thread piqued my interest as I frequently shop at the Horizon/Horizon Vons ($200 worth today in fact) I had noticed the signs a few months back but paid little attention to them. To my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) "No Guns" signs do not carry any force of law in Nevada, so unless asked to leave an establishment I chose to allow my non-threatening and friendly demeanor bring a less fear inducing image to people openly carrying firearms. During one of my visits while the signs were there, the checker asked while eyeing my holstered firearm if my shift had just ended and I responded with a simple "yes ma'am, how much longer are you stuck here?" I'm assuming she thought I was a LEO but decided it was best not to say more than was needed.

Good to know the signs are down now. I feel better about giving them my business (which, as the HOH for a family of 5 is quite a bit).

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...To my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) "No Guns" signs do not carry any force of law in Nevada, so unless asked to leave an establishment I chose to allow my non-threatening and friendly demeanor bring a less fear inducing image to people openly carrying firearms...

Correct.

The only issues are knowingly patronizing anti-carry establishments and avoiding being asked to leave (trespassing issues).

TrmptPlyr

Correct.

The only issues are knowingly patronizing anti-carry establishments and avoiding being asked to leave (trespassing issues).

I was under the impression that you can only be trespassed from an establishment if you refuse to leave when requested.

It's hard to NOT patronize anti-carry establishments, however, while I haven't been asked to leave any establishment in the past for open carry, I wouldn't hesitate to take my business elsewhere if that were to occur. I guess in my mind the more exposure I give to anti-carry establishment employees, the less threatening they will see the presence of a firearm and thus be less likely to support their corporate policy... Maybe I'm off base, but regular absence of firearms is part of what leads to sensationalizing the presence of one.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was under the impression that you can only be trespassed from an establishment if you refuse to leave when requested.

It's hard to NOT patronize anti-carry establishments, however, while I haven't been asked to leave any establishment in the past for open carry, I wouldn't hesitate to take my business elsewhere if that were to occur. I guess in my mind the more exposure I give to anti-carry establishment employees, the less threatening they will see the presence of a firearm and thus be less likely to support their corporate policy... Maybe I'm off base, but regular absence of firearms is part of what leads to sensationalizing the presence of one.

Yes, that's what I meant. You are only in the wrong if you are asked to leave and do not do so.

We have pro-carry or at the worst neutral-carry establishments for almost anything you need in this town. I can't think of an anti-carry business that doesn't have a carry-on alternative.

Mailing a receipt of your purchases from a pro-carry establishment to the anti-carry establishment's manager, along with a respectful letter about how you would have normally preferred their store can make more of an impact than anything else.

TrmptPlyr

Mailing a receipt of your purchases from a pro-carry establishment to the anti-carry establishment's manager, along with a respectful letter about how you would have normally preferred their store can make more of an impact than anything else.

I like that tactic!

28kfps

Interesting. I got a letter from them on Friday saying it was for the safety of their customers and they hoped I would still shop with them. That doesn't sound like they are caving in. You didn't say which 3 stores took down signs and when they did this. I'd be interested to know.

TBG

When they say it is for customers safety drives me nuts. If given the chance I started telling them I can assure you me carrying a legally carrying firearm does not make your customers less safe, it makes me and your customers safer. Your policy only helps to assure the only gun that does make it into your no guns allowed facility will be illegal ones thus jeopardizing everyone's safety.