Thread: Temporary Suspension of No-Gun Policy

Temporary Suspension of No-Gun Policy

The Hyatt hotel hosting the Kansas Republican Convention has temporarily suspended the no-gun Policy for the duration of the convention.

So why not other places?

Why can't 20 open carriers buy movie tickets online and ask for refunds when presented with the no-guns sign?

And then, as a compromise, settle for taking down the signs just for the day.

The next weekend, same deal.

Anybody else thought of such a thing?
    I carry everywhere because crime doesn't make appointments.

Banned
    I like that movie theater suggestion. Let's schedule this. I'm in for anything between C'bus and Cincy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

So you're suggesting a quasi-rental of the premises?

I like the idea of being able to enjoy the movies at the theater without having to go out of my way to find one without gunbuster signs (I refuse to patronize those).
    Could even be an effective means to show management, and regular moviegoers, that OCers are normal people (with spousal units and maybe even some little troublemakers in tow).
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Hyatt to ease gun ban for state GOP convention in Wichita

"“NOTE: for our convention, the Hyatt has agreed to drop its no guns on premises policy! That was a point Chair Kelly Arnold negotiated hard for in the contract,” an e-mailed announcement about the convention said. [ ... ] “They wanted our business more than they wanted the signs up,” said Arnold, who negotiated the contract. He said the gun policy was a “make it or break it” issue in the negotiations. [ ... ] Amy Patti, a spokeswoman for the Hyatt chain, said in an e-mail that the temporary allowance of guns would not have an impact on safety at the hotel.

“Guest safety is one of our top priorities,” Patti said in the statement. “The hotel has in place appropriate security measures to host a safe event for the Kansas Republican Party, which will make up the majority of occupancy at our hotel this weekend.”

http://www.kansas.com/2014/01/23/324...for-state.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    ...“Guest safety is one of our top priorities,” Patti said in the statement. “The hotel has in place appropriate security measures to host a safe event..."
    I submit that this was accomplished by allowing the hotel to fill with a bunch of gun-toting conservatives.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I submit that this was accomplished by allowing the hotel to fill with a bunch of gun-toting conservatives.
    I accept your submission and claim that it is likely so.

Also, @Eye: Maybe, with some baby steps, we could organize a nationwide OCDO thing, with all willing members patronizing a single chain of theaters?

Edited for baby steps.
    Last edited by Silvertongue; 01-25-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Baby steps.
    First there must be more support for this idea (that should come about quite easily if posted as a stickie and then disseminated among pro-OC organizations/forums), then a list suitable candidates must be made.
    That being said, I support this idea.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Baby steps.
    First there must be more support for this idea (that should come about quite easily if posted as a stickie and then disseminated among pro-OC organizations/forums), then a list suitable candidates must be made.
    That being said, I support this idea.
    How does one go about making a sticky?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertongue View Post
    How does one go about making a sticky?
    It's quite simple, really.

First you have to be real friendly and non-threatening; I suggest a joke over a nice meal to break the ice.
    Then, you go about bribing them with promises of money and power after you become president...
    Whoops, wrong list.

Here it is:
    Send a PM to one of the moderators, letting them know the reason for requesting a stickie.
    There, short and sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    It's quite simple, really.

First you have to be real friendly and non-threatening; I suggest a joke over a nice meal to break the ice.
    Then, you go about bribing them with promises of money and power after you become president...
    Whoops, wrong list.

Here it is:
    Send a PM to one of the moderators, letting them know the reason for requesting a stickie.
    There, short and sweet.
    Propped that door open wide, didn't I?

I would seek answers regarding the elusive and seemingly transmutable nature of firearm safety from the Hyatt management.

Specifically: Are we to understand that the signs are in place because firearms in the establishment are dangerous......except for this weekend when they suddenly become perfectly safe.......and then they will go back to being dangerous again at some point in the future?

I wish someone could ask them what variable causes guns to be dangerous, but then become safe, then switch back to dangerous again. Or, maybe they could simply clarify that the safety has no relationship to the presence of the signs (as the presence of the signs, or lack thereof, has no influence on the safety of the premises) and the presence of signage is merely POLITICALLY driven.
    Last edited by Superlite27; 01-25-2014 at 11:26 PM.

It's like with Starbucks: a "we don't want you here, but we'll tolerate you in order to get your hard-earned money" attitude. But maybe they will see the folly of their ways when the guns DON'T just magically begin shooting themselves at every moving thing in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    I would seek answers regarding the elusive and seemingly transmutable nature of firearm safety from the Hyatt management. Specifically: Are we to understand that the signs are in place because firearms in the establishment are dangerous......except for this weekend when they suddenly become perfectly safe.......and then they will go back to being dangerous again at some point in the future?

I wish someone could ask them what variable causes guns to be dangerous, but then become safe, then switch back to dangerous again. Or, maybe they could simply clarify that the safety has no relationship to the presence of the signs (as the presence of the signs, or lack thereof, has no influence on the safety of the premises) and the presence of signage is merely POLITICALLY driven.
    Well said! Safety lies between the ears and in the eye of the beholder, literally and figuratively. Abusing the Bard;
    Good Lord Boyet, my beauty, though but mean,
    Needs not the painted flourish of your praise:
    Safety is bought by judgement of the eye,
    Not utter'd by base sale of chapmen's tongues:
    I am less proud to hear you tell my worth
    Than you much willing to be counted wise
    In spending your wit in the praise of mine.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I read the local news article and had to laugh at the comments. What a bunch of little girls (no offense to REAL little girls) they are. The comments seemed to show a great disdain for the tool. I did not see very many positive comments.

I think this is a good move for everyone here. The chain gets to experiment a bit and that may change some hearts and minds. I am just glad they are repubs, not dems. The dems have been getting a lot of press about waving weapons around lately. They seem a bit too dangerous to be playing with weapons.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    SNIP...The dems have been getting a lot of press about waving weapons around lately. They seem a bit too dangerous to be playing with weapons.
    A few members on here have (jokingly? ) suggested laws against firearm ownership by the leftist field. The charge: they are ignorant (and thus unsafe) and unfit to posses, carry, or own a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    I would seek answers regarding the elusive and seemingly transmutable nature of firearm safety from the Hyatt management.

Specifically: Are we to understand that the signs are in place because firearms in the establishment are dangerous......except for this weekend when they suddenly become perfectly safe.......and then they will go back to being dangerous again at some point in the future?

hear hear, i would like to hear the hyatt mgmt stutter and sputter while answering this question as well...

or is it money talks kinda of a proposition?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Maybe if a few more people expressed interest, we could get it as a sticky.

Let's take our theaters back, people.

The Hyatt hotel hosting the Kansas Republican Convention has temporarily suspended the no-gun Policy for the duration of the convention.
    Which raises the question, "Is this move designed to convenience attendees at the convention, or in the hope that the GOP will be visited by some armed nut-job? Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 01-27-2014 at 03:34 AM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    Which raises the question, "Is this move designed to convenience attendees at the convention, or in the hope that the GOP will be visited by some armed nut-job? Pax...
    One submits that the sign, whether there or not, would have zero effect on an armed nut job.

So why not other places?

Why can't 20 open carriers buy movie tickets online and ask for refunds when presented with the no-guns sign?

And then, as a compromise, settle for taking down the signs just for the day.

The next weekend, same deal.

Anybody else thought of such a thing?
    I'm sure many people have. Keep in mind that you could be looking at legal issues yourself if there really was no intent on watching the movie or concert.
    Lifetime member, Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.org/)
    Lifetime member, Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)
    Member, Fraternal Order of Eagles since 8/02 (http://www.foe.com/)

Registering gun owners to prevent crime, is like registering Jews to prevent a HOLOCAUST.

I am not a lawyer in real life, or in play life. So anything I say is for debate and discussion only.

One submits that the sign, whether there or not, would have zero effect on an armed nut job.
    Signs of prohibition are nothing more than psychological walls. My thought was poorly stated, it should have read, "...or in the hope that it would encourage some armed liberal nut-job to visit the GOP Convention." Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 01-28-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: There's an "a" in the word was...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Logan 5 View Post
    I'm sure many people have. Keep in mind that you could be looking at legal issues yourself if there really was no intent on watching the movie or concert.
    I would hope that purchasing the tickets ahead of time would show that there was indeed an intention of watching the movie.

Particularly if it was a movie I REALLY wanted to see.

*coughLegoMoviecough*

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    Signs of prohibition are nothing more than psychological walls. My thought ws poorly stated, it should have read, "...or in the hope that it would encourage some armed liberal nut-job to visit the GOP Convention." Pax...
    I would wonder who had set up the armed nut-job to visit: One side to show that human rights are dangerous, or the other to show how quickly the threat could be ended.