• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Temporary Suspension of No-Gun Policy

Silvertongue

The Hyatt hotel hosting the Kansas Republican Convention has temporarily suspended the no-gun Policy for the duration of the convention.

So why not other places?

Why can't 20 open carriers buy movie tickets online and ask for refunds when presented with the no-guns sign?

And then, as a compromise, settle for taking down the signs just for the day.

The next weekend, same deal.

Anybody else thought of such a thing?

eye95

I like that movie theater suggestion. Let's schedule this. I'm in for anything between C'bus and Cincy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Rusty Young Man

So you're suggesting a quasi-rental of the premises?:confused:

I like the idea of being able to enjoy the movies at the theater without having to go out of my way to find one without gunbuster signs (I refuse to patronize those).
Could even be an effective means to show management, and regular moviegoers, that OCers are normal people (with spousal units and maybe even some little troublemakers in tow).

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...“Guest safety is one of our top priorities,” Patti said in the statement. “The hotel has in place appropriate security measures to host a safe event..."

I submit that this was accomplished by allowing the hotel to fill with a bunch of gun-toting conservatives.

Silvertongue

I submit that this was accomplished by allowing the hotel to fill with a bunch of gun-toting conservatives.

I accept your submission and claim that it is likely so.

Also, @Eye: Maybe, with some baby steps, we could organize a nationwide OCDO thing, with all willing members patronizing a single chain of theaters?

Edited for baby steps.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Baby steps.:)
First there must be more support for this idea (that should come about quite easily if posted as a stickie and then disseminated among pro-OC organizations/forums), then a list suitable candidates must be made.
That being said, I support this idea.

Rusty Young Man

How does one go about making a sticky?

It's quite simple, really.

First you have to be real friendly and non-threatening; I suggest a joke over a nice meal to break the ice.
Then, you go about bribing them with promises of money and power after you become president...
Whoops, wrong list.:lol:

Here it is:
Send a PM to one of the moderators, letting them know the reason for requesting a stickie.
There, short and sweet.

Silvertongue

It's quite simple, really.

First you have to be real friendly and non-threatening; I suggest a joke over a nice meal to break the ice.
Then, you go about bribing them with promises of money and power after you become president...
Whoops, wrong list.:lol:

Here it is:
Send a PM to one of the moderators, letting them know the reason for requesting a stickie.
There, short and sweet.

Propped that door open wide, didn't I?

Superlite27

I would seek answers regarding the elusive and seemingly transmutable nature of firearm safety from the Hyatt management.

Specifically: Are we to understand that the signs are in place because firearms in the establishment are dangerous......except for this weekend when they suddenly become perfectly safe.......and then they will go back to being dangerous again at some point in the future?

I wish someone could ask them what variable causes guns to be dangerous, but then become safe, then switch back to dangerous again. Or, maybe they could simply clarify that the safety has no relationship to the presence of the signs (as the presence of the signs, or lack thereof, has no influence on the safety of the premises) and the presence of signage is merely POLITICALLY driven.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

It's like with Starbucks: a "we don't want you here, but we'll tolerate you in order to get your hard-earned money" attitude. But maybe they will see the folly of their ways when the guns DON'T just magically begin shooting themselves at every moving thing in the area.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I read the local news article and had to laugh at the comments. What a bunch of little girls (no offense to REAL little girls) they are. The comments seemed to show a great disdain for the tool. I did not see very many positive comments.

I think this is a good move for everyone here. The chain gets to experiment a bit and that may change some hearts and minds. I am just glad they are repubs, not dems. The dems have been getting a lot of press about waving weapons around lately. They seem a bit too dangerous to be playing with weapons.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...The dems have been getting a lot of press about waving weapons around lately. They seem a bit too dangerous to be playing with weapons.

A few members on here have (jokingly? ;)) suggested laws against firearm ownership by the leftist field. The charge: they are ignorant (and thus unsafe) and unfit to posses, carry, or own a firearm.:lol:

solus

I would seek answers regarding the elusive and seemingly transmutable nature of firearm safety from the Hyatt management.

Specifically: Are we to understand that the signs are in place because firearms in the establishment are dangerous......except for this weekend when they suddenly become perfectly safe.......and then they will go back to being dangerous again at some point in the future?

I wish someone could ask them what variable causes guns to be dangerous, but then become safe, then switch back to dangerous again. Or, maybe they could simply clarify that the safety has no relationship to the presence of the signs (as the presence of the signs, or lack thereof, has no influence on the safety of the premises) and the presence of signage is merely POLITICALLY driven.

hear hear, i would like to hear the hyatt mgmt stutter and sputter while answering this question as well...

or is it money talks kinda of a proposition?

ipse

Gil223

The Hyatt hotel hosting the Kansas Republican Convention has temporarily suspended the no-gun Policy for the duration of the convention.
Which raises the question, "Is this move designed to convenience attendees at the convention, or in the hope that the GOP will be visited by some armed nut-job? :confused: Pax...

Last edited:

Logan 5

So why not other places?

Why can't 20 open carriers buy movie tickets online and ask for refunds when presented with the no-guns sign?

And then, as a compromise, settle for taking down the signs just for the day.

The next weekend, same deal.

Anybody else thought of such a thing?

I'm sure many people have. Keep in mind that you could be looking at legal issues yourself if there really was no intent on watching the movie or concert.

Gil223

One submits that the sign, whether there or not, would have zero effect on an armed nut job.
Signs of prohibition are nothing more than psychological walls. My thought was poorly stated, it should have read, "...or in the hope that it would encourage some armed liberal nut-job to visit the GOP Convention." Pax... :)

Last edited:

Silvertongue

I'm sure many people have. Keep in mind that you could be looking at legal issues yourself if there really was no intent on watching the movie or concert.

I would hope that purchasing the tickets ahead of time would show that there was indeed an intention of watching the movie.

Particularly if it was a movie I REALLY wanted to see.

*coughLegoMoviecough*