• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this information correct? (CHP)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/police/Pages/Concealed-Weapon-Information.aspx

I have read that VA doesn't require you to inform unless asked to. Which is correct?

There is nothing in the VA Code requiring one to inform a cop that you are armed at the outset of a police encounter or during a police encounter.

Police are informed of it--its tied to your driver license so when the cop runs your driver license it comes up. My understand is that police insisted on this as part of shall-issue. So, they got it. They are informed. Tough for them if they want more.

PWC's wish to be informed even more is just as absurd. A good guy with a gun isn't going to shoot a cop. A bad guy with a gun isn't going to volunteer that he has a gun.

Volunteering the information, or replying yes if asked by the cop just gives cops the opportunity to seize the gun and run the serial number in a fishing expedition.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm afraid it was just a little more involved:uhoh:

He asked where I was going and I asked why he was interested. He said just curious.
Then I said "When I get back to the office I'll have my secretary send you a memo when I figure it's any of your business":uhoh::uhoh:

roflmao!!

Quit it! I can't breathe, I'm laughing so hard!

JohnM15A

I've never gotten a moving violation but I did get a ticket for a dead inspection the other day. He asked for license and registration which I gave him, then he asked where I was going and I told him to mind his own business....then he wrote the ticket:uhoh:

Never mentioned Insurance or the gun next to me.

Sometimes co-operating helps. I was stopped speeding on 64 traveling west just off off of 295. I passed one of those dirt roads that connect the east and west bound lanes, where the state LEOs hang out and saw 4 VSP cars. I figured that they to busy yaking it up so I would be clear to speed. Then all of a sudden I saw the flashing lights in my rear view. I doing 95+. The LEO came up and said that I was speeding very fast and said that I had a clear record and then asked where I was headed in such a hurry. I said "Camp Peary" and he said "Have a nice day" and went back to his car. Now this is guess but I would think that if I said "mind your own business" I would have gotten a ticket...

jsfrederick

I'm afraid it was just a little more involved:uhoh:

He asked where I was going and I asked why he was interested. He said just curious.
Then I said "When I get back to the office I'll have my secretary send you a memo when I figure it's any of your business":uhoh::uhoh:

Peter,

I LOVE reading your stuff. You NEVER cease to entertain. And the best part? Having met you, I know EVERY word of it is true. Don't ever change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Maverick9

There is nothing in the VA Code requiring one to inform a cop that you are armed at the outset of a police encounter or during a police encounter.

Police are informed of it--its tied to your driver license so when the cop runs your driver license it comes up. My understand is that police insisted on this as part of shall-issue. So, they got it. They are informed. Tough for them if they want more.

JEEZE. Man why are you posting COMPLETELY misleading commentary? There is nothing in Va Code requiring one by law to EVER inform a cop you are armed, like to collect guns, wear underwear under your pants. Why mention it? Now if you have committed a crime, or he has RAS he can demand it, threaten incarceration on a whim, or a real articulable suspicion. It's wide open -LAC hunting season - open all year if you are wearing a badge.

Police are informed of IT? What is IT? It's not information that you are armed. The VCIN has nothing listed about your firearms, your firearm purchases, where you like to carry your firearm. It's only got the PERMIT information on those Va Residents who were STUPID enough to put down their SS# on the form, were STUPID enough to listen to the clerks demanding WRONGLY that they needed a photo copy of your Va driver's license. I guarantee you that Bruce Jackson's info is in there but it's not from his Social or his Va Dr licenses, both of which he fought to keep private and won when the supervisor of the clerk ordered the clerk to process it. The clerk rejected the order the first time, but grudgingly threw the permit at Mr Jackson the second time.

Just the PERMIT.

1. A LEO can demand to SEE the permit. They can ASK to fondle your guns, to get you monologing about your guns.

2. You do not have to even answer any questions a LEO asks for something like an expired sticker, minor speeding, broken lights, and if you left your gun at home you don't have to show, talk about, display your permit and you CERTAINLY NEVER -have- to show, display, surrender your firearms, though if the LEO wants to he can shoot you dead and then search your body.

It's not legal, but it happens.

I know YOU know this but it's all too easy to drop a vague comment, or obscure the object of the article, and have someone miss the point.

Last edited:

Marco

Sometimes co-operating helps. I was stopped speeding on 64 traveling west just off off of 295. I passed one of those dirt roads that connect the east and west bound lanes, where the state LEOs hang out and saw 4 VSP cars. I figured that they to busy yaking it up so I would be clear to speed. Then all of a sudden I saw the flashing lights in my rear view. I doing 95+. The LEO came up and said that I was speeding very fast and said that I had a clear record and then asked where I was headed in such a hurry. I said "Camp Peary" and he said "Have a nice day" and went back to his car. Now this is guess but I would think that if I said "mind your own business" I would have gotten a ticket...

IMHO, you knew you did something wrong which you could have prevented and choose not to. You decided to play "Yes Officer" in hopes of getting out of the ticket. IMHO, you also knew your destination (Camp Perry) would probably assist you with getting out of the ticket.

Some of us try not to knowingly violate the obvious silly rules as to limit our exposure to the tax collectors. When I do have to interact with the tax collectors, I presume the ticket is a given. I value my right to ignore/avoid their silly questions more than I do a few dollars.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying you did anything wrong etc...
Each one of us just needs to decide where the line in the sand is.

If we all played "YES Officer" that would be teaching the dog a bad trick.

As for the OP's question,

You should be able to tell the difference between a demand or the LE simply asking, sometimes it might be difficult. If you refuse they'll make it clear if it was a simple request or a DEMAND.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.01

The above is pretty clear as the LE must demand and with it only being a $25 civil penalty why concern yourself.

Last edited: