• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Impressions of a gun show virgin - take #2

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
My Sweet Baboo sent this to me this morn. This one line has me pegged...........
Going to a gun show is like going to the humane society. There are so many guns that need good homes. You MUST leave with one.

http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/blog/just-for-fun/impressions-of-a-gun-show-virginHere

Here are some simple impressions and a few questions from a gun show virgin:

FUQ
There are not too many women at gun shows.... Yet!

I didn’t get strange looks for walking around with a gun on my hip.

I did get curious looks for being a woman cruising the aisles.

It is oddly comfortable and comforting being surrounded by guns, ammo and gun loving people!

I have no difficulty believing the recent Gallop Poll that said 47% of homes in the US have a firearm. They were all at the show!

You can wear ANYTHING you want to a gun show and I mean anything!

Fully grown adult males actually will pin handwritten signs on scraps of paper on themselves!

What are all those little parts filling the tiny bins on so many of the tables?

Gun lovers are really nice and patient people.

and more, go see the link

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The previous thread on this (1st post copied above) never got past the 2rd or 3rd post before it became a train wreck - ended up locking it.

Reposted the OP here as a courtesy to MSG Laigaie.

Last edited:

eye95

Hmmm...they never let me carry (really carry, loaded and unzipped) at gun shows.

My gun has to be empty and zip-tied, so I won't go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

FBrinson

Definitely this:
Buy your ammunition on your way out!

Add this:
Bring a notepad to keep tabs on ammo/parts/supplies prices and where they were for quicker backtrack.

Rusty Young Man

Hmmm...they never let me carry (really carry, loaded and unzipped) at gun shows.

My gun has to be empty and zip-tied, so I won't go.

<o>

I know what you mean. The only positive I can see for the patrons is a possible reduction in the chance for a ND from "sweepers" and dummies (you know the type: they'll aim an empty gun right near your head and may even dry fire, then reply with "It's not even loaded" when you ask them to abstain).

My gripe is the fact that the uniwrap goes through the magwell and slide of my 1911 (spur, not skeletonized, hammer), so I can't see how well the cheap mags fit.
But the best reason to go is just to meet like-minded individuals and look at all the goodies. Since you can handle some of the guns, it's like a petting zoo, but funner.:D

eye95

I know what you mean. The only positive I can see for the patrons is a possible reduction in the chance for a ND from "sweepers" and dummies (you know the type: they'll aim an empty gun right near your head and may even dry fire, then reply with "It's not even loaded" when you ask them to abstain).

My gripe is the fact that the uniwrap goes through the magwell and slide of my 1911 (spur, not skeletonized, hammer), so I can't see how well the cheap mags fit.
But the best reason to go is just to meet like-minded individuals and look at all the goodies. Since you can handle some of the guns, it's like a petting zoo, but funner.:D

Many retail stores handle this very situation by zip-tying only those firearms that will be handled for repair, fitting a holster, etc. Firearms carried for self-defense and which will never leave the holster until defense is necessary are left in the holster, fully loaded, and ready to go, in the custody of the lawful carrier.

Why can't gun shows do the same thing??

<o>

Rusty Young Man

If I have to be brutally honest, I would answer that the organization that rents the [building] for the show simply does not trust everyone to be safe while carrying. They may chalk it up to "insurance liability", but it is just code-speak for the same.
But, some people aren't the safest around, so I can kind of see where they are coming from. Maybe if there was just a sign that said "Enter at your own risk"?:lol:

In all seriousness though, Marksman Pistol Institute here in Tucson has two stores, and it seems they were staunch opponents of Constitutional Carry. They went so far as saying that they would now have to worry about just "any bubba" walking in with a gun. Have decided to forego patronizing either of their stores/ranges for that very reason.

Even more recently, I had a somewhat unpleasant encounter at Caswells Shooting Range in Mesa: I was already done shooting, and I had reloaded and topped off my 1911 for carrying. I walked out, paid, and was looking around while waiting on someone when a small, older lady that worked there asked if my gun was loaded. I answered that yes, my gun was in Condidtion 1. She then said I couldn't be in the store with a loaded gun and instructed me (rather sternly) to go outside, remove the magazine, and clear the gun over their sand barrel. I tried to tell her that it would be unsafe for me to unnecessarily handle my gun, but she wouldn't have it. So I just waited outside rather than risk a ND.
Not sure how I feel about that range anymore, seeing as I was already holstered appropriately and unnecessary handling of loaded guns is a safety no-no.

Last edited:

09jisaac

Rusty:

Cut the zip tie off.
Do everything you need to do with the zip tie off.
Ask for another zip tie.
Replace zip tie.

It doesn't have to be in that order, you can ask for more zip ties when you come in. I have never been to a gun show that didn't allow you to do this.

Rusty Young Man

Rusty:

Cut the zip tie off.
Do everything you need to do with the zip tie off.
Ask for another zip tie.
Replace zip tie.

It doesn't have to be in that order, you can ask for more zip ties when you come in. I have never been to a gun show that didn't allow you to do this.

Thanks, 09jisaac. Something tells me I should have been able to think of that. Next time, then.:D

Tess

Founder's Club Member

At the shows I frequent, you can ask that it be placed through the barrel instead, since you're going to be fitting magazines, and most will oblige.

(I've been known to carry zip ties in my car. I'll tie my own firearm, carefully placing the tie such that the rough, zippered edge is away from the tooth, enabling the tie to be removed and reused. I've still met the letter and spirit of the rule, and when the organizers see the tie, they don't ask further.

eye95

It is amazing how some will get outraged by Starbucks, but since it's a gun show, it's OK to force you to disarm, just so the disarming does not interfere with fitting holsters/mags/grips/whathaveyou. :shakeshead:

<o>

sudden valley gunner

It is amazing how some will get outraged by Starbucks, but since it's a gun show, it's OK to force you to disarm, just so the disarming does not interfere with fitting holsters/mags/grips/whathaveyou. :shakeshead:

<o>

I have the same thoughts.

Every time someone brings up WAC (Washington Arms Collectors) a huge discussion of their disarming gets brought up. I don't go because they disarm.

One strong supporter of WAC quit not to long ago because of their politics.....not their disarming.....

I have gone with John to a few here and swallowed my distaste to disarm, because the local show has invited our OC group to have a booth, which I will say generated way more interest than the NRA booth, so much in so that the NRA guy spent most his time at our booth, not agreeing with OC......

Rusty Young Man

<o>

I probably should have mentioned that the only reason I (grudgingly) disarmed (uni-wrapped) was because the shows have had armed security detail (sometimes cops, sometimes wannabe cops).
So while Starbucks wants you unarmed but in no way offers any reasonable alternative to the defense of your person, the gun shows I've gone to had the consolation prize of a skeleton security crew. I agree, still an infringement and it is their Right (if the venue has been rented out and all), but different than the Starbucks situation.

eye95

I have the same thoughts.

Every time someone brings up WAC (Washington Arms Collectors) a huge discussion of their disarming gets brought up. I don't go because they disarm.

One strong supporter of WAC quit not to long ago because of their politics.....not their disarming.....

I have gone with John to a few here and swallowed my distaste to disarm, because the local show has invited our OC group to have a booth, which I will say generated way more interest than the NRA booth, so much in so that the NRA guy spent most his time at our booth, not agreeing with OC......

Excellent reason to attend. I do all of my lobbying outside of gun shows.

Do you ask folks who stop by your table to lodge official bitches with the show because of that silly policy? I would.

But, then, you know me; just because someone, something, or some site is pro-2A, it will not stop me from bitching at them when they behave in a way that warrants bitching.

<o>

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...I have gone with John to a few here and swallowed my distaste to disarm, because the local show has invited our OC group to have a booth, which I will say generated way more interest than the NRA booth, so much in so that the NRA guy spent most his time at our booth, not agreeing with OC......[Emphasis mine]

That's sad. I think it could have something to do with who is usually responsible for the government permission slip certification process. You'd think that maybe they would try to bridge the gap between OCers and themselves to form a stronger front.

Also, are there any shows which do not require you to disarm or "disable" the firearm in any way?

Fuller Malarkey

But, then, you know me; just because someone, something, or some site is pro-2A, it will not stop me from bitching at them when they behave in a way that warrants bitching.

<o>

Ya, I know you. You're the one that tries to pass off a full blown juvenile tantrum as "bitching".

Like a five year old on a mission at "Toys "R" Else", you maraude the isles intent on achieving your desires by assaulting all present with your whining and threats to run away from home and vitriolic snits. And just as predictable as an indulged spoiled five year old. First the "I'll hold my breath 'til my face turns blue", then the hissy fit, stomping the floor, threats to run away from home and the clincher "I hate you Daddy" directed at the closest authority figure.

Nothing a little trip out to the car or behind the shed wouldn't solve.

Last edited:

eye95

More emotional irrationality from a member of the cadre. Moving on.

<O>

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
At the shows I frequent, you can ask that it be placed through the barrel instead, since you're going to be fitting magazines, and most will oblige....

I went to a local show yesterday with my Son. Victoria always puts the tie thru my barrel and releases the slide when handing it back. I put it right into the holster again. No worries.
Another note..I like the Unloaded idea. Too many sloppy people and it would play hell with my "spidey senses" if any of them had a loaded weapon. Even with those rules in effect, a negligent discharge happens now and then.

The NRA recruiter was just that, a paid recruiter. He was not fluent with his topic and struggled with trying to get his message across. Not as verbally armed as he could have been.

..... ended up locking it........

Reposted the OP here as a courtesy to MSG Laigaie.

Thank you Sir.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

<o>

I don't give Starbucks my business, but then at Starbucks there are not thousands of people handling firearms, not on a range, or any type of firing line. Because people bring guns to sell to gun shows it is not outrageous to expect them to be unloaded. Considering that literally hundreds of guns can be loaded in a very short period of time would negate most any thoughts of a attack at a show. In fact I have never heard of a assault, murder, rape, robbery at a gun show, but have heard of NDs at a few shows.

So you can either bitch or just don't go. But if you go and make one of your usual scenes don't be surprised when you are shown the door.

eye95

So because others (even many others) are sloppy, it is reasonable for the gun show to deny me the ability to defend myself when I shop there. I recognize that it is their right, and I won't deny it to them, but I just won't shop in stores that disarm me--including gun shows.

BTW, have you noticed all the shootings at Bass Pro Shops and stores like that which allow carry, even by sloppy people, as long as they will not be handling the gun, but merely keeping it holstered for self-defense. Oh, wait, it doesn't happen.