• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Impressions of a gun show virgin - take #2

WalkingWolf

So because others (even many others) are sloppy, it is reasonable for the gun show to deny me the ability to defend myself when I shop there. I recognize that it is their right, and I won't deny it to them, but I just won't shop in stores that disarm me--including gun shows.

BTW, have you noticed all the shootings at Bass Pro Shops and stores like that which allow carry, even by sloppy people, as long as they will not be handling the gun, but merely keeping it holstered for self-defense. Oh, wait, it doesn't happen.

They can tell you to wear a face mask during flu season if they so choose. Their playground, nobody forces you to play there.

solus

tis because of these types of individuals who attend firearm/knife shows:

While this occurred a little over a year ago at the Raleigh NC gun show: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/19/us-usa-guns-accident-idUSBRE90I0L920130119
Three people including a retired sheriff's deputy were wounded on Saturday at a gun show in North Carolina when a 12-gauge shotgun accidentally discharged as its owner was taking it out of its case, state officials said.

show sponsors stated:
The North Carolina gun show will go ahead as planned on Sunday, but no private gun sales will be allowed and personal guns will not be allowed on the property.

solves the problem of unloaded patron firearms huh...they didn't allow any personal firearms on the PROPERTY!

ipse

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Honestly, I think I'd rather find some other way to make the event safer. How about just saying that any upholstered firearm must be zip-tied, instead of all firearms period? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing? Or have some sort of quick safety qualification (quick verbal test) in order to carry a self-defense weapon at the show. Even make them sign a form contractually obligating them to keep any loaded weapon holstered. Just throwing out ideas. I think there's a way to accomplish safety without disarming folks. If there isn't, the entire open carry movement is a lie. IMO, it sounds like gun show organizers just aren't thinking or trying hard enough, and are resorting to the default, easiest, most knee-jerk, emotionally comforting (to the less-informed), and least thought-through method of safety which we as open carry advocates ought to know doesn't work - disarm everyone.

I will not go to a gun show that doesn't allow me to carry my self-defense weapon. IMO, that's just asinine. Sounds like a butter-fest. I'll pass.

To the OP: I'm a little surprised that women at the gun show would be such an uncommon sight that you'd get looks. Maybe depends on the part of the country that you're in. I think that the only gun shows I've been to, which may only be one or two actually, I don't remember there being an obvious disproportion of gender.

Last edited:

Maverick9

When you look at a situation, be it allowing rights, allowing abilities, enforcing same, it can be done in a lot of ways, many of them only giving the illusion of 'solved!'.

What is 'good' for the individual, what is 'expected behavior of adults' works in small groups. But beyond a certain size (large gun shows), or below a certain size (having a "gun show" (i.e. Craig's list) in your home) then dangers crop up.

So you do an analysis, you look at the past, you apply your bias (unfortunately), you try to give rational reasons or you just mandate.

In gun shows, some are good, some are bad, some people are sloppy handlers, and once in a great while you have NDs.

Very few gun shows have metal detectors - it's almost humorous to imagine - it would take forever. So they 'ask' and if you lie, you can be booted, but AFAIK, not arrested. You can't be searched, AFAIK.

And yet people buy firearms, they buy ammo and they are still inside the show. Could they take their purchases into a bathroom stall and load up? OF COURSE. But as some posters said, we've never had an attempt of a mass shooting at a GS.

I HOPE some (person) doesn't decide to sacrifice themselves to bring 'attention' to GC by shooting up a show (and getting shot, and lots of other people injured in collateral damage). If it does in just ONE SHOW, it could mean the end of them, in this climate.

So, your left with informing yourself, looking at commentary which is HIGHLY IDEALISTIC, and making a personal decision. Bear in mind you can't really convince people. You can give what you think are 'facts', but in the end change comes from within, and it's not always based on logic or information. It's a bias.

Good thread.

eye95

I can not count the number of times that I have had guns stuck in my face at gun shows. I've had it happen over and over with both gun show attendees and dealers. I fully support the policy of having all guns unloaded and zip tied and have never heard of an assault or intentional shooting at a gun show. On the other hand, accidental and negligent discharges are all too common. They are the biggest threat to continued gun shows in the country. If anyone wants to carry a loaded gun, don't go to any gun show that I attend. If I see it, I'll immediately rat you out to the show promoter. They will boot you, too, vendors too. I've seen it.

Nice anti POV. Kinda similar to saying, "They are the biggest threat to continued Bsss Pro Shops. If anyone wants to carry a loaded gun, don't go to any Bass Pro Shop that I attend. If I see it, I'll immediately rat you out to the store manager. They will boot you, too, cops too. I've seen it."

Saying that folks are too irresponsible to carry a loaded gun, and therefore, should not, is an anti stance. If the gun is being brought because it will be handled, fine, carry it unloaded and zip-tied. If the gun is one's defensive carry, leave it the Hell alone!

BTW, have you thought of using Ctrl-+??

Maverick9

Nice anti POV. Kinda similar to saying, "They are the biggest threat to continued Bsss Pro Shops. If anyone wants to carry a loaded gun, don't go to any Bass Pro Shop that I attend. If I see it, I'll immediately rat you out to the store manager. They will boot you, too, cops too. I've seen it."

Saying that folks are too irresponsible to carry a loaded gun, and therefore, should not, is an anti stance. If the gun is being brought because it will be handled, fine, carry it unloaded and zip-tied. If the gun is one's defensive carry, leave it the Hell alone!

BTW, have you thought of using Ctrl-+??

I agree that works for me. The other yahoos, I want disarmed and wrapped in bubble wrap.

BTW, have you thought of using Ctrl-(minus)? :p

OC for ME

I probably should have mentioned that the only reason I (grudgingly) disarmed (uni-wrapped) was because the shows have had armed security detail (sometimes cops, sometimes wannabe cops).
So while Starbucks wants you unarmed but in no way offers any reasonable alternative to the defense of your person, the gun shows I've gone to had the consolation prize of a skeleton security crew. I agree, still an infringement and it is their Right (if the venue has been rented out and all), but different than the Starbucks situation.
I will not patronize gun shows because I must be disarmed. I take my business to retail outlets and call ahead to see if they are busy. Too many folks handling guns at the counter, I wait for another day when they are not busy, too much anyway.

I got swept by a citizen mauling a AR at my local Cabelas. I made a comment to the staff assisting me, he didn't do anything. The Savage .243 I was buying was immediately placed on the counter and I walked away. Won't go back.

eye95

I agree that works for me. The other yahoos, I want disarmed and wrapped in bubble wrap.

BTW, have you thought of using Ctrl-(minus)? :p

OC works for me. The other yahoos, I want disarmed and wrapped in bubble wrap.

I suggest that ctrl-+ will be a more complete solution for the hard-of-seeing. I don't see the utility in making ONLY his posts larger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

WalkingWolf

I would be OK with loaded guns at gunshows as long as the unspoken rule becomes the spoken rule at gun shows. NO GUNS HANDLED! That would include ALL guns, the ones on the tables, the ones in the boxes, the ones for sale or trade. Until that happens, and it will not, I have no problems with the current gun show rules.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I get swept too many times a day to count.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

BTW how many people ON BASE, carry loaded in your store? Kinda hypocritical to work on a base where carry is illegal and then bitch about gun shows? Ehhhhh?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Honestly, I think I'd rather find some other way to make the event safer...................I will not go to a gun show that doesn't allow me to carry my self-defense weapon. IMO, that's just asinine. Sounds like a butter-fest. I'll pass.....

This reminds me of the line that goes, "I carry a gun 'cause a cops too heavy". On one hand you stress safety and then suggest increasing the risk factor by the multiples. There is armed security at every show I attend. Unless legions of armed government agents descend on the premises, I can get by for a while. 'sides, ever notice all those big sharp things on all the tables? There is always a weapon close if you look for them.