• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spotsylvania Commonwealth's Atty suggests OPEN CARRY as protection from dog attack!

TFred

A pit bull attacked and killed a small pet dog in the area recently, an incident which has generated quite a bit of local news coverage.

Today an article published on the Free Lance-Star website quotes Spotsylvania County Commonwealth's Attorney Bill Neely:

SAFETY PRECAUTIONS

Neely has two small dogs and said he carries a walking stick with him when he walks just one.

He, along with animal experts Williams, Tydings and Fredericksburg Animal Control Officer Thomas Worthy, said a walking stick is useful for scaring away approaching dogs or beating them off if they attack.

It’s also legal to use pepper spray to ward off a dog and openly carry a gun and use it if a dog is threatening someone’s life or animal, especially on the person’s property, Neely said.

He cautioned, however, that people should be careful that no one is injured if the weapon is fired.

“You’re entitled to protect yourself without putting people at risk,” Neely said.

Back in the "Not Surprised" column, at the end of the article, when the author sums up the various tips and suggestions presented throughout, no mention of carrying a gun.

TFred

ETA: By the way, the pit bull's owner was charged with two misdemeanors as a result of the attack.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I knew Bill Neely for years when I was doing CPS in Spotsylvania. He was, and from what little I've followed since, been a common-sense sort of person. He has never, personally or professionally, struck me as hoplophobic.

But yes, it's refreshing to see him say it.

Now - set up some OC breakfasts/dinners in the area and invite him to come share with y'all.

stay safe.

t33j

I'm a bit confused about the part where he said it would be justified to shoot an animal attacking yours. I thought pets (both attacker and victim) were considered only property, and would not qualify for protection with "lethal force". So there'd be the issue of unjustifiably discharging a firearm...

Now - set up some OC breakfasts/dinners in the area and invite him to come share with y'all.
I'd be up for making the trip over for something like that.

Maverick9

Neely sounds supportive but what in God's Green Earth does this mean?
“You’re entitled to protect yourself without putting people at risk,” Neely said

I can't even parse that. Can I buy an 'if'? What constitutes putting at risk? A miss? A near hit? LOL. I think we need a 'keep your mouth shut or be declared incompetent' ruling

TFred

“You’re entitled to protect yourself without putting people at risk,” Neely said
I can't even parse that. Can I buy an 'if'? What constitutes putting at risk? A miss? A near hit? LOL. I think we need a 'keep your mouth shut or be declared incompetent' ruling
I certainly can't speak for the man, but remember, he's talking to a reporter who is writing an article for the general community, and he is sharing information that no doubt a significant percentage of the population is going to find at least surprising, and for some, even appalling. It didn't strike me the wrong way at all, I took it to be a common sense type, "don't go shooting at a dog from behind a tree 200 yards away with kids in the background" kind of thing.

No, most of us here don't need to be reminded of that, but most folks who read the newspaper aren't us.

TFred

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm a bit confused about the part where he said it would be justified to shoot an animal attacking yours. I thought pets (both attacker and victim) were considered only property, and would not qualify for protection with "lethal force". So there'd be the issue of unjustifiably discharging a firearm...

There are statutes that allow people to protect livestock TJ. Matter of fact, one of the statutes has a bill being considered this year that will weaken it. Just another windmill for me this year.

Probably what he means by being careful about your target is when the hounds are attacking your Pom.....you should hit the hounds instead of the dog hunters:banana:
That would be tragic...:lol: They lose enough of their members from friendly fire without losing any from poor shooting.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

§ 3.2-6586. Dog injuring or killing other companion animals.

The owner of any companion animal that is injured or killed by a dog shall be entitled to recover damages consistent with the provisions of § 3.2-6585 from the owner of such dog in an appropriate action at law if: (i) the injury occurred on the premises of the companion animal's owner; and (ii) the owner of the offending dog did not have the permission of the companion animal's owner for the dog to be on the premises at the time of the attack.

(2003, c. 841, § 3.1-796.127:1; 2008, c. 860.)

Better make sure that the dog was attacking a human.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Better make sure that the dog was attacking a human.

stay safe.

Dogs, cats and other domestic animals are considered livestock.

§ 3.2-6552. Dogs killing, injuring or chasing livestock or poultry.
It shall be the duty of any animal control officer or other officer who may find a dog in the act of killing or injuring livestock or poultry to kill such dog forthwith whether such dog bears a tag or not. Any person finding a dog committing any of the depredations mentioned in this section shall have the right to kill such dog on sight as shall any owner of livestock or his agent finding a dog chasing livestock on land utilized by the livestock when the circumstances show that such chasing is harmful to the livestock. Any court shall have the power to order the animal control officer or other officer to kill any dog known to be a confirmed livestock or poultry killer, and any dog killing poultry for the third time shall be considered a confirmed poultry killer. The court, through its contempt powers, may compel the owner, custodian, or harborer of the dog to produce the dog.
Any animal control officer who has reason to believe that any dog is killing livestock or poultry shall be empowered to seize such dog solely for the purpose of examining such dog in order to determine whether it committed any of the depredations mentioned herein. Any animal control officer or other person who has reason to believe that any dog is killing livestock, or committing any of the depredations mentioned in this section, shall apply to a magistrate serving the locality wherein the dog may be, who shall issue a warrant requiring the owner or custodian, if known, to appear before a general district court at a time and place named therein, at which time evidence shall be heard. If it shall appear that the dog is a livestock killer, or has committed any of the depredations mentioned in this section, the district court shall order that the dog be: (i) killed immediately by the animal control officer or other officer designated by the court; or (ii) removed to another state that does not border on the Commonwealth and prohibited from returning to the Commonwealth. Any dog ordered removed from the Commonwealth that is later found in the Commonwealth shall be ordered by a court to be killed immediately.
(1984, c. 492, § 29-213.85; 1985, c. 385; 1987, c. 488, § 3.1-796.116; 1990, c. 222; 1993, c. 977; 1998, c. 817; 2008, cc. 551, 691, 860.)

t33j

Is that in writing somehwere?

I know in King George chickens are not considered livestock, because one of the BoS would have been guilty of keeping them on less than 5 acres (which is illegal in this county) if the definition of livestock had been construed to include chickens. I can't find a definition of livestock anywhere in the King George code either.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I know in King George chickens are not considered livestock, because one of the BoS would have been guilty of keeping them on less than 5 acres (which is illegal in this county) if the definition of livestock had been construed to include chickens. I can't find a definition of livestock anywhere in the King George code either.

I don't have a cite but the courts have upheld it...Chickens are mentioned specifically in the statute BTW. The last court case I paid any attention to was Randy Kirby in Hanover who not only shot two dogs, but dragged the carcasses into a board of supervisors meeting. They did charge him with getting blood everywhere but couldn't charge him with shooting the dogs because of this statute.

Last edited:

Marco

§ 3.2-6552. Dogs killing, injuring or chasing livestock or poultry.
It shall be the duty of any animal control officer or other officer who may find a dog in the act of killing or injuring livestock or poultry to kill such dog forthwith whether such dog bears a tag or not. Any person finding a dog committing any of the depredations mentioned in this section shall have the right to kill such dog on sight as shall any owner of livestock or his agent finding a dog chasing livestock on land utilized by the livestock when the circumstances show that such chasing is harmful to the livestock. Any court shall have the power to order the animal control officer or other officer to kill any dog known to be a confirmed livestock or poultry killer, and any dog killing poultry for the third time shall be considered a confirmed poultry killer. The court, through its contempt powers, may compel the owner, custodian, or harborer of the dog to produce the dog.
Any animal control officer who has reason to believe that any dog is killing livestock or poultry shall be empowered to seize such dog solely for the purpose of examining such dog in order to determine whether it committed any of the depredations mentioned herein. Any animal control officer or other person who has reason to believe that any dog is killing livestock, or committing any of the depredations mentioned in this section, shall apply to a magistrate serving the locality wherein the dog may be, who shall issue a warrant requiring the owner or custodian, if known, to appear before a general district court at a time and place named therein, at which time evidence shall be heard. If it shall appear that the dog is a livestock killer, or has committed any of the depredations mentioned in this section, the district court shall order that the dog be: (i) killed immediately by the animal control officer or other officer designated by the court; or (ii) removed to another state that does not border on the Commonwealth and prohibited from returning to the Commonwealth. Any dog ordered removed from the Commonwealth that is later found in the Commonwealth shall be ordered by a court to be killed immediately.
(1984, c. 492, § 29-213.85; 1985, c. 385; 1987, c. 488, § 3.1-796.116; 1990, c. 222; 1993, c. 977; 1998, c. 817; 2008, cc. 551, 691, 860.)

poul·try
[ pṓltree
1. domestic fowl: domestic fowl in general, e.g. chickens, turkeys, ducks, or geese, raised for meat or eggs

:)

The Wolfhound

I do not know the man, but.....

I just interpret this as a site to Rule 4: Be sure of your target and what is behind it. Could it be just as innocent as that?:confused:

Last edited: