• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO's attemt to disarm me

solus

hummm...thanks carolina guy...:banana:

14-415 covers that as 'we must disclose' if approached and engaged by LE in the accomplishment of their duties' (paraphrased)

i will apologize as it was a trick question OC for me...but i did give fair warning by saying tag!!

(yes OC, there are times i have been called a smart arse)

ipse

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

it does seem to indicate that you cannot CC anywhere but on your own property without a CHP. Odd, I could not CC on my parents property, my siblings property, or any other relatives property. Odd indeed. This is a problem the needs fixing. A clear infringement upon a property owners right in the Tarheel state.

You got it: CHP not needed while on your own property; you still have to inform IF you have a CHP. You are not required to say anything if you do not have a CHP. EVER.

The bolded line: Can't we make up our minds? In other times and places, we don't like it that certain property owners can keep guns off their property (property rights).

OC for ME

hummm...thanks carolina guy...:banana:

14-415 covers that as 'we must disclose' if approached and engaged by LE in the accomplishment of their duties' (paraphrased)

i will apologize as it was a trick question OC for me...but i did give fair warning by saying tag!!

(yes OC, there are times i have been called a smart arse)

ipse
Paraphrased don't cut it.

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-415.11.html

The statute makes no distinction regarding LEO duties or a cop approaching to ask directions to the nearest doughnut shop. That statue is in need of fixing. The state makes no accommodation to respect the rights of a property owner. Bad, very bad.

NC-Heel

I doubt I would ever balk at exiting a vehicle if asked to do so. Being a total ****** has never worked out for anyone that I know. I may pursue this further though since there is no statute that requires me to divulge the location of a concealed firearm, only that I declare that I am in fact armed.

jrj_51

I doubt I would ever balk at exiting a vehicle if asked to do so. Being a total ****** has never worked out for anyone that I know. I may pursue this further though since there is no statute that requires me to divulge the location of a concealed firearm, only that I declare that I am in fact armed.

I was arrested for being a complete jerk once. Long story short, I got caught doing a donut in a parking lot and was being uncooperative at best. I was asked to exit the vehicle, I opened the door and asked why. The officer just repeated the request and tried to grab my arm. At that point I informed him I would not be getting out of the vehicle without a valid reason and he let go, stepped back and informed me I was being arrested. I said OK and stepped on out. I think someone being cooperative and respectful would have no problem denying such a request. IANAL...

KainVictus

Just curious, why is he lucky that he didn't get pulled in the restaurant parking lot. If he was concealing, it's not illegal to dine in a restaurant that serves alcohol anymore, unless it's posted. Again, I am just curious about your post, and if there is something that I didn't know about.

Actually i posted that before i was up to date on the current laws i have been stationed in Maryland for three years so my bad indeed.

solus

Actually i posted that before i was up to date on the current laws i have been stationed in Maryland for three years so my bad indeed.

welcome back from MD

for your late nite reading pleasure...the latest (aug 13) from the AG on firearms in the tarheel state...as i am sure you know the statutes changed in '11 & '13 while you were gone. this is better than rummaging through the statutes trying to discern which statute(s) changed and which didn't.

http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/2013 NC Firearms Laws.pdf

ipse

REDFIVE48

welcome back from MD

for your late nite reading pleasure...the latest (aug 13) from the AG on firearms in the tarheel state...as i am sure you know the statutes changed in '11 & '13 while you were gone. this is better than rummaging through the statutes trying to discern which statute(s) changed and which didn't.

http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/2013 NC Firearms Laws.pdf

ipse

Unfortunately that doc is not updated as a result of the passing of HB 937. Seeing as you dated it as of Aug 13, that makes sense, but for someone trying to come up to speed, it's out of date :( Hopefully our Law Enforcement Officers are up to date though.

Wonder why a Clerk of Court or a Register of Deeds should be exempt from the restrictions of GFSZ?

Edit: Well my original comment was from reading page 19 where it states CHP holders can't carry in certain locations
The weapon may not be carried in the following areas:

1. Any area prohibited by N.C.G.S. §§ 14-269.2, 14-269.3, 14-277.2, or 120-32.1. (school grounds, areas where alcohol is sold and consumed, state property, legislative buildings, and public gatherings, such as parades);

But if you continue reading, then other sections specifically dealing with alcohol sold and consumed, parades, places where admission is charged, then it does correctly state that CHP holders are OK.

Last edited:

solus

Unfortunately that doc is not updated as a result of the passing of HB 937. Seeing as you dated it as of Aug 13, that makes sense, but for someone trying to come up to speed, it's out of date :( Hopefully our Law Enforcement Officers are up to date though.

Wonder why a Clerk of Court or a Register of Deeds should be exempt from the restrictions of GFSZ?

Edit: Well my original comment was from reading page 19 where it states CHP holders can't carry in certain locations
The weapon may not be carried in the following areas:

1. Any area prohibited by N.C.G.S. §§ 14-269.2, 14-269.3, 14-277.2, or 120-32.1. (school grounds, areas where alcohol is sold and consumed, state property, legislative buildings, and public gatherings, such as parades);

But if you continue reading, then other sections specifically dealing with alcohol sold and consumed, parades, places where admission is charged, then it does correctly state that CHP holders are OK.

sorry redfive, this is the correct tome as put out by the NC AG, in concert with the honorable John Aldridge, in advance (aug 13) of the 1 Oct 13 changes and this document was used by the NC DoJ during the update CHP training briefings to the authorized CHP instructors. it was not released on the web to the general public until after 1 Oct.

the clerk of court or register of deeds, et al., is normally a county level entity not a state level entity therefore, they are no consecrated as protected within the GFZ sphere as outline by state statutes, same mentality as the ABC stores.

as for being able to speak for the state's LE knowing OC or CC statutes...their short comings have been previously discussed ad nausm.

ipse

papa bear

reminds me of a pull over by Mt airy city kitty. he pulled me over. and as i was giving him my licenses, i accidentally gave him my CHP. now i always put my gun on the console when i am riding in my truck. he asked me where my gun was. i said "uh, it is right here in plain sight. he said i am going to come over and take it. i said "no, it is safer right where it is, and i do not submit to search and seizure. he was kind of shocked and hesitated. then he said i will give it back to you. i said damn right you would because that would be stealing. but i do not submit to search and seizure. he said OK just keep your hands where i can see them. i sad way ahead of you. he them backed up to the car :rolleyes:. i got a ticket for expired tag. went to the DA and showed him where i got it fixed. charges drop

REDFIVE48

sorry redfive, this is the correct tome as put out by the NC AG, in concert with the honorable John Aldridge, in advance (aug 13) of the 1 Oct 13 changes and this document was used by the NC DoJ during the update CHP training briefings to the authorized CHP instructors. it was not released on the web to the general public until after 1 Oct.

ipse

Sorry, not sure I follow your comment, are you saying there isn't a discrepancy in the doc as I pointed out? Seems like one of the constant CHP instructors should have speed this awhile ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta