• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

20/20 Friday 1/31/2014 Guns in the home.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Watch 20/20 with Diane Sawyer about guns in the home, and what kids do when they find them. I'm sure it will make some of us puke.

OC for ME

What they obviously will not show, and would never show, is my boys taking the .22 Marlin out to hunt and bringing back squirrels for supper. Dad don't squirrel hunt now that I have boys to do my hunting for me. however, once they go off to college I'll need to get back in the habit if i want to have me a squirrel supper.

MyWifeSaidYes

Upcoming 20/20 hatchet job on gun rights

Diane Sawyer will be doing a hatchet job on gun rights this Friday, attacking gun owners with typically false and unsupported statistics...

...through your children.

They will be putting children that have not had any safety training (because anti-gun groups say it wouldn't work), and exposing them to 'found' firearms.

Of course children who have been kept sheltered from firearms aren't going to know how to be safe when they find one. This is low-hanging fruit and a cheap shot, but it is what gun owners in this country have come to expect.

I do expect they will try to show a pro-gun point of view somewhere in the story, but the overall tone will most likely be anti-gun.

Kids, Eddie Eagle says "Stop! Don't touch! Leave the area! Tell an adult!"

http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2014/01/friday-night-eloi-spooking-on-abc.html

MyWifeSaidYes

Exactly how does a 20/20 show change the constitution?

It can't, of course.

What it CAN do is change the perception and attitudes of low-information voters.

Voters can change the makeup of federal and state legislatures.

Federal and state legislatures can change the Constitution.

Right?

davidmcbeth

Banned
It can't, of course.

What it CAN do is change the perception and attitudes of low-information voters.

Voters can change the makeup of federal and state legislatures.

Federal and state legislatures can change the Constitution.

Right?

Our RKBA predates the constitution ... correct?

OC for ME

Diane Sawyer will be doing a hatchet job on gun rights this Friday, attacking gun owners with typically false and unsupported statistics...

...through your children.

They will be putting children that have not had any safety training (because anti-gun groups say it wouldn't work), and exposing them to 'found' firearms.

Of course children who have been kept sheltered from firearms aren't going to know how to be safe when they find one. This is low-hanging fruit and a cheap shot, but it is what gun owners in this country have come to expect.

I do expect they will try to show a pro-gun point of view somewhere in the story, but the overall tone will most likely be anti-gun.

Kids, Eddie Eagle says "Stop! Don't touch! Leave the area! Tell an adult!"

http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2014/01/friday-night-eloi-spooking-on-abc.html
The "story" has been done before. ABC/NBC/CBS, it don't matter, done some years back. Heck, they may even use the same footage and those kids back then may be OCing or CCing by now. Non-story cuz the required opinion to hold is delivered in the premise. Why waste your time watching unless you enjoy the commercials.

Rusty Young Man

Absolutely amazing how these people continue to blame inanimate objects for their lack of parenting. Of course the kids are drawn to forbidden objects, the fact they're supposed to be off-limits to them makes them want it that much more.
If these people were REALLY trying to increase the safety of their children, they would TEACH the children about proper handling of firearms. If they wanted to ask other parents about guns, it would be "so have you taught your kids about firearm safety yet?" not "I can't believe you have one of those demon-possessed autamatic clip rocket launcher gun with a shoulder thing that goes up!".

Case in point: I recently talked to my cousin's children about why I carry my sidearm (I "came out" of the gun closet to them this past Thanksgiving) instead of the fixed blade knife they have seen me wear for years. My cousin was in the background through all this, and I just tried to answer the kids' questions as best I could, always reminding them of the reason I carried the knife for years before. They seemed to at least grasp the concept that this new thing was really nothing to be afraid of, and besides one of them wanting to know what the grips felt like (I let him run his finger over the grip), not a single one of them tried to grab it.
To see if they were paying attention to my little spiel, I later pretended to fall asleep on the couch with my holstered sidearm in plain sight. Guess what? Despite them being there and poking me with some kind of action figure to check if I was asleep, none of them even tried touching the gun. Just like when we taught them about matches and safe knife use (those plastic knives are only good for certain applications), it is KNOWLEDGE of the object and respect for the object that keeps the children safe.
This is also the same reason you won't see any of them running around with scissors or forks, and they know to ask for adult supervision when they want to get in the pool.

So to all the parents out there: remember the curiosity you had about forbidden objects while you were growing up! Remember that you now handle many of them safely and with care because at some point in your life you were either taught to respect these objects, or you learned it the hard way. You now have a hand in how your child learns the same lessons, not only those dealing with firearms.

/Rant off. Sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited:

scott58dh

Same Ole' Story, Blah, blah, blah

"Abortion is the Leading cause of Death in The USA, NOT GUNS" :exclaim::exclaim:

Last edited:

scott58dh

Thus, the inevitable Slippery Slope of *2A* Pro/Con continues.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
In response to your astute observation, I submit this bit of Info,,,

Early in the 2008 election, Senator Obama stated that he supported the DC gun ban. He stated that he believed that the Constitution confers an individual right to bear arms, but just because you have an individual right does not mean that the state or local government can’t constrain the exercise of that right.

Thus, the inevitable Slippery Slope of *2A* Pro/Con continues.

And yet obamalama has still not come to my door to take away my guns .... as all ones that mouth off as to what our rights are.

Oh, they can certainly try to constrain that right and can do it for many. Yet they have not had any affect on me.

Mr Birdman

not bad

What I noticed about the show was the fact that the kids who went though the Eddie Eagle program were 50% more likely to leave and tell an adult. Much better odds than with out it. :banana::banana::banana: