Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no weapons allowed per state law.

no weapons allowed per state law.

Ok so I was going to ccw in to this club/bar however I seen this sign. WTF?
    What state law are the talking about? This is Commerce city.
    Any help guys would be great..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CameraZOOM-20140125193647449.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	11182  
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-26-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Fixed title

Are you sure that's a bar?

But, generally for CO, a "no guns" sign has no weight of law, and it is legal to carry into an establishment that serves alcohol.

It is common in many places for business to imply that their sign has a law behind it, even when it doesn't. Be especially wary when they do not provide a citation for the law on the sign, though often this is also done with a misleading citation.

To clarify, I do not advocate carrying into places with such a posted policy once you know about it. (I also do not advocate going out of your way to look for such signage). I do not know the Denver area, but where I am in NV, we have just as many pro-gun bars as we do anti-gun ones.
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-26-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

O yea it's a Polish club They have a bar there but that night it was a family night so no alcohol what so ever.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lukaszu View Post
    Ok so I was going to ccw in to this club/bar however I seen this sign. WTF?
    What state law are the talking about? This is Commerce city.
    Any help guys would be great..
    You should already know the answer to this query -- if not, you should re-familiarize yourself with all the gun laws in your various jurisdictions. You are responsible to know them all and , hence, would know that the sign may have legal effect or not.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-26-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    You should already know the answer to this query -- if not, you should re-familiarize yourself with all the gun laws in your various jurisdictions. You are responsible to know them all and , hence, would know that the sign may have legal effect or not.
    We also ask and share information. Confirm, of course.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by lukaszu View Post
    O yea it's a Polish club They have a bar there but that night it was a family night so no alcohol what so ever.
    I was wondering! I saw what looked like a little girl inside and, not knowing Polish usage, I figured it could be a club or a library! And the doors reminded me of a school!

Anyway, carry on, when you have no choice but to patronize such establishments!
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-26-2014 at 06:42 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Regardless of law if the owner posted it, I would think its safe to say the owner doesnt want OC in his club/playhouse/brothel/whatever. Its just like any other establishment, if they dont want your gun, they dont want your business! I know in WA you cant posses a weapon in any establishment that is 21+ ONLY.

ON a side note those doors look pretty heavy for a club.. is this part of a school or federal building? that might be why.
    Last edited by DevinWKuska; 01-26-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    "So there I was between a rock and a hard place, when it hit me... What am I doing on this side of the rock?"

They must be talking about another state as Colorado has no laws concerning carry in clubs.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

to davidm

I do know the law. That is why I'm posting this sign. Because I think there is no "As per state law" pertaining to this private property.... O and I put my ego aside sometimes just incase I'm wrong thus I can ask a *** **** question.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-27-2014 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Verbiage

Lol. I don't understand why people get on a forum just to tell other people how stupid they are for not knowing something and telling them they should find out the answer. Which is funny because that is what they are doing by asking the question.

Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Lol. I don't understand why people get on a forum just to tell other people how stupid they are for not knowing something and telling them they should find out the answer. Which is funny because that is what they are doing by asking the question.

No, no. You misunderstand the purpose of forums. They exist solely to give a few vocal people the chance to extol the majesty of their knowledge and inform the less intelligent about how much more intelligent they are by telling the less fortunate to go look it up....

Or something like that.

My guess is that's a canned sign. Order on-line, assume it's accurate, paste it up, and we're all safe from lawsuits. Etc.

OP, did you ask if you could enter while armed? If it is a special occasion, and you are attending where otherwise you would not enter, they may give you special dispensation. All they can do is say no and you then decide for yourself. It seems that your specific question has been answered by those who know the answer.

Cool

Maybe you should send a nice letter or email to the owner and manager asking for clairification of what law their sign applies to? Put the ball in their court and make them do the research, maybe they will learn something.

no..

No I carried concealed just long enough to drop/pick up wife and kids. I didn't seek any management... Because I intended not to leave my pistol behind. But I will when I run into the owner.

There is no state law in Colorado with a blanket prohibition on carrying firearms into certain locations, other than schools, federal buildings and places with guards and metal detectors. Local jurisdictions are allowed to prohibit open carry in their own buildings, but a Concealed Handgun Permit is legal authority for carrying concealed in any other location.

This is all a simplified version, but basically, it means there is no such Colorado law as the sign purports. Owners of private property are allowed to control who comes on their property and what they do, such as carry firearms. However, their prohibitions do not carry the weight of law. The most they can do is ask you to leave their property. If you refuse, you can be charged with trespassing, but otherwise, you have not violated any law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There's a lot of that on this forum.

Semantically the sign is correct.

Per state law
    No firearms
    allowed
    on this
    property
    < International No >
    C.R.S. 18-12-214 (2013)

(5) Nothing in this part 2 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.

So under this the sign is valid. It is a generic sign that was/is produced to be posted. Anybody not knowing the law is going to think that there is a stiff fine or penalty. Similar to when someone says that you have to register your firearms. In some jurisdictions you do. But that is not true for all. In this case all they can do is ask you to leave.

I don't think it is surprising that a business that serves alcohol doesn't want gun toting customers.

I also don't think it should be surprising to the operator of that business that people like myself who don't go unarmed in society won't patronize their establishment.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    I don't think it is surprising that a business that serves alcohol doesn't want gun toting customers.

I also don't think it should be surprising to the operator of that business that people like myself who don't go unarmed in society won't patronize their establishment.
    It may not be surprising to the misinformed, but it is confusing facts with feelings. Legal, honest people seldom commit gun crimes. Criminals will ignore the wishes of the business.

Yes, most of us do spend our money where we are allowed the freedom to be responsible.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    You should already know the answer to this query -- if not, you should re-familiarize yourself with all the gun laws in your various jurisdictions. You are responsible to know them all [ and , hence, would know that the sign may have legal effect or not.
    I agree with davidmcbeth here. Give this website a look see, handgunlaw.us Run by 2 guys they stay right on top of gun law in all 50 states. Often they're up to date when that same state's website is incorrect.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noname762 View Post
    I agree with davidmcbeth here. Give this website a look see, handgunlaw.us Run by 2 guys they stay right on top of gun law in all 50 states. Often they're up to date when that same state's website is incorrect.
    Just to note: davidmcbeth was banned a while back.

O look... One of mine from years ago.

++++++1111111111

"judge a man by his questions, rather than by his answers'.. Voltaire

Interesting to see these old threads coming back to life.. More interesting to see if the original posters are still here and participating.

Now if only, fedora's, spats and walking sticks, could become fashionable once again.. Oh well.

My .02
    CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Cherry-picked and misattributed.

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    "judge a man by his questions, rather than by his answers'.. Voltaire
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.
    Il est encore plus facile de juger de l'esprit d'un homme par ses questions que par ses réponses. (It is easier to judge the mind of a man by his questions rather than his answers) — Pierre-Marc-Gaston, duc de Lévis (1764-1830), Maximes et réflexions sur différents sujets de morale et de politique (Paris, 1808): Maxim xviii (https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Voltaire)

My sustaining contribution to the Wikimedia Foundation pays off again. And 1808 was thirty years after Voltaire's death in 1778.

Years ago I resigned my editorship at Goodreads for their tolerance of unattributed and misattributed "quotations" <= scare-quotes! Now Goodreads is just an outlet for Amazon.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-28-2017 at 06:58 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.
    Il est encore plus facile de juger de l'esprit d'un homme par ses questions que par ses réponses. (It is easier to judge the mind of a man by his questions rather than his answers) — Pierre-Marc-Gaston, duc de Lévis (1764-1830), Maximes et réflexions sur différents sujets de morale et de politique (Paris, 1808): Maxim xviii (https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Voltaire)

My sustaining contribution to the Wikimedia Foundation pays off again. And 1808 was thirty years after Voltaire's death in 1778.

Years ago I resigned my editorship at Goodreads for their tolerance of unattributed and misattributed "quotations" <= scare-quotes! Now Goodreads is just an outlet for Amazon.
    Great quotes live on thru time!

" He who is not just is severe, he who is not wise is sad".
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast