• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

no weapons allowed per state law.

lukaszu

Ok so I was going to ccw in to this club/bar however I seen this sign. WTF?
What state law are the talking about? This is Commerce city.
Any help guys would be great..

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20140125193647449.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20140125193647449.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 512
Last edited by a moderator:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Are you sure that's a bar?

But, generally for CO, a "no guns" sign has no weight of law, and it is legal to carry into an establishment that serves alcohol.

It is common in many places for business to imply that their sign has a law behind it, even when it doesn't. Be especially wary when they do not provide a citation for the law on the sign, though often this is also done with a misleading citation.

To clarify, I do not advocate carrying into places with such a posted policy once you know about it. (I also do not advocate going out of your way to look for such signage). I do not know the Denver area, but where I am in NV, we have just as many pro-gun bars as we do anti-gun ones.

Last edited:

lukaszu

O yea it's a Polish club They have a bar there but that night it was a family night so no alcohol what so ever.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Ok so I was going to ccw in to this club/bar however I seen this sign. WTF?
What state law are the talking about? This is Commerce city.
Any help guys would be great..

You should already know the answer to this query -- if not, you should re-familiarize yourself with all the gun laws in your various jurisdictions. You are responsible to know them all and , hence, would know that the sign may have legal effect or not.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You should already know the answer to this query -- if not, you should re-familiarize yourself with all the gun laws in your various jurisdictions. You are responsible to know them all and , hence, would know that the sign may have legal effect or not.
We also ask and share information. Confirm, of course.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
O yea it's a Polish club They have a bar there but that night it was a family night so no alcohol what so ever.

I was wondering! I saw what looked like a little girl inside and, not knowing Polish usage, I figured it could be a club or a library! And the doors reminded me of a school!

Anyway, carry on, when you have no choice but to patronize such establishments!

Last edited:

DevinWKuska

Regardless of law if the owner posted it, I would think its safe to say the owner doesnt want OC in his club/playhouse/brothel/whatever. Its just like any other establishment, if they dont want your gun, they dont want your business! I know in WA you cant posses a weapon in any establishment that is 21+ ONLY.

ON a side note those doors look pretty heavy for a club.. is this part of a school or federal building? that might be why.

Last edited:

lukaszu

to davidm

I do know the law. That is why I'm posting this sign. Because I think there is no "As per state law" pertaining to this private property.... O and I put my ego aside sometimes just incase I'm wrong thus I can ask a *** **** question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beau

Lol. I don't understand why people get on a forum just to tell other people how stupid they are for not knowing something and telling them they should find out the answer. Which is funny because that is what they are doing by asking the question.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mobiushky

Lol. I don't understand why people get on a forum just to tell other people how stupid they are for not knowing something and telling them they should find out the answer. Which is funny because that is what they are doing by asking the question.

No, no. You misunderstand the purpose of forums. They exist solely to give a few vocal people the chance to extol the majesty of their knowledge and inform the less intelligent about how much more intelligent they are by telling the less fortunate to go look it up....

Or something like that.

My guess is that's a canned sign. Order on-line, assume it's accurate, paste it up, and we're all safe from lawsuits. Etc.

OC for ME

OP, did you ask if you could enter while armed? If it is a special occasion, and you are attending where otherwise you would not enter, they may give you special dispensation. All they can do is say no and you then decide for yourself. It seems that your specific question has been answered by those who know the answer.

DocWalker

Maybe you should send a nice letter or email to the owner and manager asking for clairification of what law their sign applies to? Put the ball in their court and make them do the research, maybe they will learn something.

lukaszu

no..

No I carried concealed just long enough to drop/pick up wife and kids. I didn't seek any management... Because I intended not to leave my pistol behind. But I will when I run into the owner.

Michaelpthompso

There is no state law in Colorado with a blanket prohibition on carrying firearms into certain locations, other than schools, federal buildings and places with guards and metal detectors. Local jurisdictions are allowed to prohibit open carry in their own buildings, but a Concealed Handgun Permit is legal authority for carrying concealed in any other location.

This is all a simplified version, but basically, it means there is no such Colorado law as the sign purports. Owners of private property are allowed to control who comes on their property and what they do, such as carry firearms. However, their prohibitions do not carry the weight of law. The most they can do is ask you to leave their property. If you refuse, you can be charged with trespassing, but otherwise, you have not violated any law.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bomber

There's a lot of that on this forum.

onef

Semantically the sign is correct.

Per state law
No firearms
allowed
on this
property
< International No >

C.R.S. 18-12-214 (2013)

(5) Nothing in this part 2 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.

So under this the sign is valid. It is a generic sign that was/is produced to be posted. Anybody not knowing the law is going to think that there is a stiff fine or penalty. Similar to when someone says that you have to register your firearms. In some jurisdictions you do. But that is not true for all. In this case all they can do is ask you to leave.

rushcreek2

I don't think it is surprising that a business that serves alcohol doesn't want gun toting customers.

I also don't think it should be surprising to the operator of that business that people like myself who don't go unarmed in society won't patronize their establishment.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't think it is surprising that a business that serves alcohol doesn't want gun toting customers.

I also don't think it should be surprising to the operator of that business that people like myself who don't go unarmed in society won't patronize their establishment.
It may not be surprising to the misinformed, but it is confusing facts with feelings. Legal, honest people seldom commit gun crimes. Criminals will ignore the wishes of the business.

Yes, most of us do spend our money where we are allowed the freedom to be responsible.

noname762

You should already know the answer to this query -- if not, you should re-familiarize yourself with all the gun laws in your various jurisdictions. You are responsible to know them all [ and , hence, would know that the sign may have legal effect or not.

I agree with davidmcbeth here. Give this website a look see, handgunlaw.us Run by 2 guys they stay right on top of gun law in all 50 states. Often they're up to date when that same state's website is incorrect.