Thread: Best defensive round!!!

Best defensive round!!!

Found this on another website. I think its safe to say that this will make hollowpoints pretty much second rate. Let me know what you guys think!

"So there I was between a rock and a hard place, when it hit me... What am I doing on this side of the rock?"

There are at least two threads on it already.

It's a gimmick. It's crap.

It might work, but it will do nothing better than existing bullets (that I can readily think of), and many things worse.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

gimmick?

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    There are at least two threads on it already.

It's a gimmick. It's crap.

It might work, but it will do nothing better than existing bullets (that I can readily think of), and many things worse.
    It may be but the video of the round going through the balloon is fabulous

Centurion
    Just because they CAN does not mean they should!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

I see failures to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Birdman View Post
    That must be where they got the idea for the part on the advertisement that says it penetrates all known barriers...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    That must be where they got the idea for the part on the advertisement that says it penetrates all known barriers...
    Yeah, they say it goes through concrete, but when you watch, it only penetrates the first layer of the concrete block... Most other rounds will too.

Looks like it literally cuts through the material then sends the center of the bullet through. The balloon shows it pretty clear. The video mentions it "saws" through whatever material its shooting. So I wonder what the weight of the round that actually stays together is. Its a very light bullet anyways and you lose the mass to those "teeth" sheering off. Can also see a problem with trying to hand loading then and getting a little more power. I'm assuming once you reach a certain muzzle velocity and depending on the twist of the barrel, you my too much spin on it and I wonder it would come apart prematurely.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Some old lady will cut herself loading the rounds and then sue the ammo company...
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

The old lady will spill coffee in her lap when she hears the price tag of a box of 20 rounds.

Still say the best defensive round is between your ears

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post

Disagree, I say the best defensive bullet is in between the bad guys ears.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

True statement lol

Unless the price is there with other good preforming hollow points. I don't that I well be replacing the ammo I am carrying now.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Will reloads be available.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Disagree, I say the best defensive bullet is in between the bad guys ears.
    Bwahahahaha!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Birdman View Post
    Let that serve as a lesson to all balloons contemplating criminal activity! I can only imagine the fear this video strikes into the heart of the party favors that view it.

No sooner does Bob Munden, the world's greatest balloon slayer, pass away, than the next greatest threat to the physical integrity of inflatables rears its ugly head.

Of course, I may be taken unawares, but I'm not planning on facing many violent attacks undertaken by nefarious minded balloons at any point in the future, so I'll contain my bedazzlement at the neato-bandito, flim-flammy, goo-gaw bullet and stick with the tried and true, proven man stoppers: name brand hollow points.
    Last edited by Superlite27; 01-27-2014 at 10:58 PM.

What is the MV again?
    What is the maximum MV before that thing goes to splinters while in flight?

Why is there not even a plastic nose to help it move through the air better?

Too many questions, not enough answers.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    Let that serve as a lesson to all balloons contemplating criminal activity! I can only imagine the fear this video strikes into the heart of the party favors that view it.

No sooner does Bob Munden, the world's greatest balloon slayer, pass away, than the next greatest threat to the physical integrity of inflatables rears its ugly head.

Of course, I may be taken unawares, but I'm not planning on facing many violent attacks undertaken by nefarious minded balloons at any point in the future, so I'll contain my bedazzlement at the neato-bandito, flim-flammy, goo-gaw bullet and stick with the tried and true, proven man stoppers: name brand hollow points.
    Not all "balloons" are created equal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_%28The_Prisoner%29

I did find the video of the bullet exiting the balloon to be interesting.

I do not find the bullet to be bad or good interesting nice to see designers coming up with new ideas and getting them to the market place.

The manufactures are doing a good job of marketing.

If the price is right I might buy a box for testing as I like to do that and have been doing so for 40 plus years

If they turn out to work, function well I would considering using them but not based on a marking video.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

The low possibility of collateral damage should be considered.

Example: The first round, or follow on rounds, merely clips a target and then the projectile design and physics take over. I'm rather comfortable knowing that my round will likely only hit one target and I hope it is my intended target.

They should have shown it hitting a B-29 target.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    I will not be loading these rounds in any firearm I possess. All of the chatter about penetration, wound channel, ballistics, etc. aside, the primary reason I will not load these is the assured cross examination by the plaintiff's attorney that I loaded my firearm with a bullet designed to kill an attacker by inflicting the greatest possible harm. We do not shoot to kill. We shoot to stop the threat, and that is accomplished in many cases without causing death. I load my firearms with ammunition that is effective in stopping the threat -- Speer Gold Dots -- which the FBI has determined are among the most effective self defense rounds available.

I am not going to be sitting in the witness chair while some attorney is characterizing me as some kind of vigilante hoping to find some "innocent, socially deprived child" to kill with my R.I.P. bullets.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    I will not be loading these rounds in any firearm I possess. All of the chatter about penetration, wound channel, ballistics, etc. aside, the primary reason I will not load these is the assured cross examination by the plaintiff's attorney that I loaded my firearm with a bullet designed to kill an attacker by inflicting the greatest possible harm. We do not shoot to kill. We shoot to stop the threat, and that is accomplished in many cases without causing death. I load my firearms with ammunition that is effective in stopping the threat -- Speer Gold Dots -- which the FBI has determined are among the most effective self defense rounds available.

I am not going to be sitting in the witness chair while some attorney is characterizing me as some kind of vigilante hoping to find some "innocent, socially deprived child" to kill with my R.I.P. bullets.

If the prosecutor so decide to place your ammo on trial also, he could do it with any ammo you used.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    They should have shown it hitting a B-29 target.
    What's the point of that? It'd be the same as any JHP hitting paper.

Lots of misunderstanding about this round which IMHO is a dumb gimmick.

This is a lightweight round (90-something grain) that sheds much of its mass on first contact with a target. Those shards are going to make life difficult for the medics to patch the guy up, but they're probably not going to go deep enough to sever major arteries or nerves in a manner to bring down an attacker.

The rounds will not "first cut through concrete, then splinter"....think about it. Your gun has a rifling pattern such that for ever 10-20 inches (depends on the gun) the bullet travels forward, it spins around once. Granted that spin rate may increase _very slightly_ since over a distance the forward speed will decrease more than the rotation speed. But it's still not going to be like a boring cutter drilling a hole. Darn near any 9mm, .40, .45 etc bullet is going to go through a layer or two of cinder block just like these will.

The only piece with reasonable penetration is the core of the round, after it's shucked much (half?) its weight and diameter when the "trocar" spikes separated.

Me, I'd rather have my bullet remain intact, making the biggest hole possible to effective depth. I don't want a 9mm that turns into a .22 with additional surface tissue damage.

I've seen many people say it was "just like black talon". No, black talons were an ordinary hollow point where part of the jacket would peel off the lead substrate leaving the "talon-like" tips. This too was more of a marketing gimmick. The SXT, Ranger-T and PDX rounds are all substantially similar, evolutionary upgrades, to the black talon design...just without the catchy name and marketing.

These rounds make interesting videos, but I'm not looking to buy any.
    - What da hay?

Keep Calm and Carry On

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    If the prosecutor so decide to place your ammo on trial also, he could do it with any ammo you used.
    Yes, he could, but I believe that I am rather safer from that situation by using a round that has been vetted for use by the FBI and which is in common usage by law enforcement throughout the country, than a round that is being hyped the way the R.I.P. is being advertised. Use whatever ammunition you like, FI. I'm going to use a round that is judged to be effective without all the baggage of being a "killer" bullet.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee