Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: I think that the people want the 2A like the 1A

  1. #1
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690

    I think that the people want the 2A like the 1A

    Sorry this is only for those who are not offended by the use of free speech.

    If you are one of those who get offended by the use of free speech, please do not watch this.

    http://youtu.be/a4MITVLkKT0

    This is a Penn and Teller show, "BS" that is talking about profanity.

    These people who want to regulate language seem to say the same things that those who want to disarm us say.

    The people have a right to not be "offended" or the right is okay so long as it is popular.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 01-26-2014 at 09:58 PM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  2. #2
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Good show, loved their series.

    They might be starting up again now that they own all the rights to it.

    And yes, it's the same old tired arguments.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  3. #3
    Regular Member Logan 5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    690
    Penn and Teller do a remarkable job in getting down to the facts as we understand them. My favorite is the one they did on the second Amendment.
    There is another they did on Freedom of Speech as well, and it was more hilarious than this one.
    Lifetime member, Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.org/)
    Lifetime member, Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)
    Member, Fraternal Order of Eagles since 8/02 (http://www.foe.com/)

    Registering gun owners to prevent crime, is like registering Jews to prevent a HOLOCAUST.

    I am not a lawyer in real life, or in play life. So anything I say is for debate and discussion only.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Penn & Teller make their points strongly, but vulgarly. I don't think they'd sway anyone's opinion. Their just gonna draw a lot of rah-rahs from folks who already agree with them.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Penn & Teller make their points strongly, but vulgarly. I don't think they'd sway anyone's opinion. Their just gonna draw a lot of rah-rahs from folks who already agree with them.
    I'm not so sure.

    If the vulgarity is a strategy--and I think it might be because I've seen broadcasts where they didn't utter a single profanity--if the vulgarity is a strategy, it might be pretty astute. There are an awful lot of "common" folks in this country. Salt of the earth. Redneck. Lots and lots and lots of people who use similar language.

    Now that I think about it, which segment of the population to better target for freedom ideas? The effete prim-and-proper or the tougher ones who use salty language?

    I'll bet--I could be wrong, but I'll bet--they're speaking the language of the population segment most worth speaking to.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-28-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  6. #6
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Back in the woods and swamps of SC, those "common folk", salt of the earth, rednecks don't come anywhere near speaking as Penn does. I don't think I've ever heard teller speak (didn't watch the video cuz gratuotous vulgarity is never, in my view, required to effectively communicate a idea). Me and my redneck buddies just don't talk like that, never did, and never will.

    Now, "salty" language does pop out from time to time, from me, like the time I climbed up into a tree stand one pre-dawn morning during deer season, pulled back the camo curtain and Mr. 40lb raccoon is sitting there, in my seat, smiling at me. Yepper, some mighty salty language was heard.

    I wish the 1A was written as plainly as the 2A, not the 2A should be more like the 1A. "The right of the people to speak their mind shall not be infringed."

  7. #7
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I'm not so sure.

    If the vulgarity is a strategy--and I think it might be because I've seen broadcasts where they didn't utter a single profanity--if the vulgarity is a strategy, it might be pretty astute. There are an awful lot of "common" folks in this country. Salt of the earth. Redneck. Lots and lots and lots of people who use similar language.

    Now that I think about it, which segment of the population to better target for freedom ideas? The effete prim-and-proper or the tougher ones who use salty language?

    I'll bet--I could be wrong, but I'll bet--they're speaking the language of the population segment most worth speaking to.
    It does. I use "vulgar" language all the time.

    Penn has explained the vugarity in that show is used to avoid lawsuits to some extent.

    He also has explained you should talk how you talk, he used to be a liberal, it wasn't the pleasant debates that changed his mind it was his friend telling him how wrong he was using vulgarity.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,735
    I watched the whole show. And of all the foul words they used they refused to use the most disgusting two word utterance ever spewed. This abhorrent and repulsive asseveration should be banned and should never be allow to be vociferated ever again.

    What are those two words?

    ASSAULT WEAPON

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Back in the woods and swamps of SC, those "common folk", salt of the earth, rednecks don't come anywhere near speaking as Penn does. I don't think I've ever heard teller speak (didn't watch the video cuz gratuotous vulgarity is never, in my view, required to effectively communicate a idea). Me and my redneck buddies just don't talk like that, never did, and never will.

    Now, "salty" language does pop out from time to time, from me, like the time I climbed up into a tree stand one pre-dawn morning during deer season, pulled back the camo curtain and Mr. 40lb raccoon is sitting there, in my seat, smiling at me. Yepper, some mighty salty language was heard.

    I wish the 1A was written as plainly as the 2A, not the 2A should be more like the 1A. "The right of the people to speak their mind shall not be infringed."
    I am sorry and it is unfortunate that we did not meet while I lived in South Carolina.

    I wonder what they - OCDO - think redneck means but Southeron rural working class, salt of the earth indeed. American by Grace, Southeron by choice.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    I think my point was missed, thinking that the primary complaint was the routine vulgarity. While that turns me off to watching them, my point is that they do not appeal to those whose minds they'd want to change.

    This is something that I am recommending many here consider. Is your audience folks who already agree with you? Are you seeking validation? Or are you trying to reach out to folks who disagree in the hope of changing there POV? I hope for the latter, but see a lot of the former


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  11. #11
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Unfortunately, yankees, and non-Southerners, have been "allowed" to define what a redneck is, and by inference what a redneck is not. Many of my "redneck peers" are far more well spoken, in-spite of their "limited education", as defined by yankees, than many yankees with Ivy League "educations" I have met. I've listened to many high-brows/carpetbaggers from the North and by far they are out classed by the average Southerner. The Southerners I know desire that the Constitution be left alone. If a "southerner" desires to change the Constitution in some way, well then, they ain't no Southerner.

    We rednecks desire that yankees, with their hubris for "protecting" folks, leave us be. Go and protect your yankee kin folk, we are doing just fine down here, have been for ~300 years. My wife's family arrived in South Carolina when Seth Sothell was governor. Mine showed up when Arthur Middleton was governor. There was not a redneck in sight back then, well, I guess some of my distant cousins could politely and correctly be identified as the forerunners to the modern day redneck. Also, fair disclosure, Georgetown SC was a favorite spot for some of my less than reputable ancestors who liked to "dart out from hidden bays" from time to time to supplement there meager incomes derived from farming. But I digress.

    Leave the Constitution alone, it has been picked at enough.

  12. #12
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I think my point was missed, thinking that the primary complaint was the routine vulgarity. While that turns me off to watching them, my point is that they do not appeal to those whose minds they'd want to change.

    This is something that I am recommending many here consider. Is your audience folks who already agree with you? Are you seeking validation? Or are you trying to reach out to folks who disagree in the hope of changing there POV? I hope for the latter, but see a lot of the former


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>
    I got your point and it is spot on. Knowing how Penn talks, Teller don't talk, does he? I avoid his/their message altogether. Cut it back to PG, maybe PG-13, and I'll be willing to listen, regardless of the message. It's not the substance, but the delivery, in this case.

  13. #13
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I think my point was missed, thinking that the primary complaint was the routine vulgarity. While that turns me off to watching them, my point is that they do not appeal to those whose minds they'd want to change.

    This is something that I am recommending many here consider. Is your audience folks who already agree with you? Are you seeking validation? Or are you trying to reach out to folks who disagree in the hope of changing there POV? I hope for the latter, but see a lot of the former


    <o>
    Maybe I missed your point. I feel that they may very well appeal to many minds they would want to change. Just because the way they speak is not your cup of tea doesn't mean it doesn't have wide appeal to a large audience.

    South Park is a great example of this, that vulgar cartoon has been turning young minds into questioning ones for over a decade and a half now.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  14. #14
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Hell, I even find some of the P and T shows to be full of bovine excrement and totally lacking in any sort of honesty. I however shared this one because of the way the censors worded their arguments.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    why?
    Posts
    432
    A fool and his words are soon parted. William Shenstone (1714 – 1763)

    (a) fool's voice is known by a multitude of words, Ecclesiastes 5:3 b

    And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. James 3:10 a

    That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. Matthew 12:36

    "Tout est fini."

  16. #16
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain
    Color me old fashioned. I have never taken to using profanity in the course of offering my opinion on any given subject.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    It is probably a good thing that some do not see the point. If those some don't want to sway others to their POV, it is easier to sway those others to better messages.

  18. #18
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Hell, I even find some of the P and T shows to be full of bovine excrement and totally lacking in any sort of honesty. I however shared this one because of the way the censors worded their arguments.

    They even state that too, that it is a totally biased and opinion based show...
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  19. #19
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    I read recently that those who swear and use vulgarity have proven to be more trustworthy.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    There are types of 'swearin': An obscenity ("Ah knows it when Ah sees it!) refers to bodily functions. A profanity vainly invokes the Name. Vulgarities, woodshed-cussing, are just that, common-folks language.

    The ignorance lies in 'swearing' without even being aware of the crudity - or crudité.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-29-2014 at 09:31 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  21. #21
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I read recently that those who swear and use vulgarity have proven to be more trustworthy.
    More trustworthy, or more believable? It can be reasoned that we assign honesty to folks who are less restrained as a result of their choice of words.

  22. #22
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    More trustworthy, or more believable? It can be reasoned that we assign honesty to folks who are less restrained as a result of their choice of words.

    Good question, I looked for the specific article I read and now can't find it.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154

    Apocryphal

    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I read recently that those who swear and use vulgarity have proven to be more trustworthy.
    The Science of Swearing By Timothy Jay and Kristin Janschewitz
    http://www.psychologicalscience.org/...-swearing.html

    http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=88147

    http://sayingimages.com/people-who-u...d-trustworthy/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  24. #24
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Profanity could be "healthy" is the contention in the first link. The other two? One to a forum that discusses profanity, yet no cites are provided. The other, a photo that displays the contention only. Though, the fella in the photo really does not look very honest to me, kind of 19020s gangster-ish.

    I'll stick with my assessment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •