• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I think that the people want the 2A like the 1A

Freedom1Man

Sorry this is only for those who are not offended by the use of free speech.

If you are one of those who get offended by the use of free speech, please do not watch this.

http://youtu.be/a4MITVLkKT0[video=youtube_share;a4MITVLkKT0]http://youtu.be/a4MITVLkKT0[/video]

This is a Penn and Teller show, "BS" that is talking about profanity.

These people who want to regulate language seem to say the same things that those who want to disarm us say.

The people have a right to not be "offended" or the right is okay so long as it is popular.

Last edited:

Logan 5

Penn and Teller do a remarkable job in getting down to the facts as we understand them. My favorite is the one they did on the second Amendment.
There is another they did on Freedom of Speech as well, and it was more hilarious than this one.

eye95

Penn & Teller make their points strongly, but vulgarly. I don't think they'd sway anyone's opinion. Their just gonna draw a lot of rah-rahs from folks who already agree with them.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Penn & Teller make their points strongly, but vulgarly. I don't think they'd sway anyone's opinion. Their just gonna draw a lot of rah-rahs from folks who already agree with them.

I'm not so sure.

If the vulgarity is a strategy--and I think it might be because I've seen broadcasts where they didn't utter a single profanity--if the vulgarity is a strategy, it might be pretty astute. There are an awful lot of "common" folks in this country. Salt of the earth. Redneck. Lots and lots and lots of people who use similar language.

Now that I think about it, which segment of the population to better target for freedom ideas? The effete prim-and-proper or the tougher ones who use salty language?

I'll bet--I could be wrong, but I'll bet--they're speaking the language of the population segment most worth speaking to.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Back in the woods and swamps of SC, those "common folk", salt of the earth, rednecks don't come anywhere near speaking as Penn does. I don't think I've ever heard teller speak (didn't watch the video cuz gratuotous vulgarity is never, in my view, required to effectively communicate a idea). Me and my redneck buddies just don't talk like that, never did, and never will.

Now, "salty" language does pop out from time to time, from me, like the time I climbed up into a tree stand one pre-dawn morning during deer season, pulled back the camo curtain and Mr. 40lb raccoon is sitting there, in my seat, smiling at me. Yepper, some mighty salty language was heard.

I wish the 1A was written as plainly as the 2A, not the 2A should be more like the 1A. "The right of the people to speak their mind shall not be infringed."

sudden valley gunner

I'm not so sure.

If the vulgarity is a strategy--and I think it might be because I've seen broadcasts where they didn't utter a single profanity--if the vulgarity is a strategy, it might be pretty astute. There are an awful lot of "common" folks in this country. Salt of the earth. Redneck. Lots and lots and lots of people who use similar language.

Now that I think about it, which segment of the population to better target for freedom ideas? The effete prim-and-proper or the tougher ones who use salty language?

I'll bet--I could be wrong, but I'll bet--they're speaking the language of the population segment most worth speaking to.

It does. I use "vulgar" language all the time.

Penn has explained the vugarity in that show is used to avoid lawsuits to some extent.

He also has explained you should talk how you talk, he used to be a liberal, it wasn't the pleasant debates that changed his mind it was his friend telling him how wrong he was using vulgarity.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I watched the whole show. And of all the foul words they used they refused to use the most disgusting two word utterance ever spewed. This abhorrent and repulsive asseveration should be banned and should never be allow to be vociferated ever again.

What are those two words?

ASSAULT WEAPON

eye95

I think my point was missed, thinking that the primary complaint was the routine vulgarity. While that turns me off to watching them, my point is that they do not appeal to those whose minds they'd want to change.

This is something that I am recommending many here consider. Is your audience folks who already agree with you? Are you seeking validation? Or are you trying to reach out to folks who disagree in the hope of changing there POV? I hope for the latter, but see a lot of the former

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

OC for ME

Unfortunately, yankees, and non-Southerners, have been "allowed" to define what a redneck is, and by inference what a redneck is not. Many of my "redneck peers" are far more well spoken, in-spite of their "limited education", as defined by yankees, than many yankees with Ivy League "educations" I have met. I've listened to many high-brows/carpetbaggers from the North and by far they are out classed by the average Southerner. The Southerners I know desire that the Constitution be left alone. If a "southerner" desires to change the Constitution in some way, well then, they ain't no Southerner. ;)

We rednecks desire that yankees, with their hubris for "protecting" folks, leave us be. Go and protect your yankee kin folk, we are doing just fine down here, have been for ~300 years. My wife's family arrived in South Carolina when Seth Sothell was governor. Mine showed up when Arthur Middleton was governor. There was not a redneck in sight back then, well, I guess some of my distant cousins could politely and correctly be identified as the forerunners to the modern day redneck. Also, fair disclosure, Georgetown SC was a favorite spot for some of my less than reputable ancestors who liked to "dart out from hidden bays" from time to time to supplement there meager incomes derived from farming. But I digress.

Leave the Constitution alone, it has been picked at enough.

OC for ME

I think my point was missed, thinking that the primary complaint was the routine vulgarity. While that turns me off to watching them, my point is that they do not appeal to those whose minds they'd want to change.

This is something that I am recommending many here consider. Is your audience folks who already agree with you? Are you seeking validation? Or are you trying to reach out to folks who disagree in the hope of changing there POV? I hope for the latter, but see a lot of the former

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>
I got your point and it is spot on. Knowing how Penn talks, Teller don't talk, does he? I avoid his/their message altogether. Cut it back to PG, maybe PG-13, and I'll be willing to listen, regardless of the message. It's not the substance, but the delivery, in this case.

sudden valley gunner

<o>

Maybe I missed your point. I feel that they may very well appeal to many minds they would want to change. Just because the way they speak is not your cup of tea doesn't mean it doesn't have wide appeal to a large audience.

South Park is a great example of this, that vulgar cartoon has been turning young minds into questioning ones for over a decade and a half now.

Freedom1Man

Hell, I even find some of the P and T shows to be full of bovine excrement and totally lacking in any sort of honesty. I however shared this one because of the way the censors worded their arguments.

scott58dh

A fool and his words are soon parted. William Shenstone (1714 – 1763)

(a) fool's voice is known by a multitude of words, Ecclesiastes 5:3 b

And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. James 3:10 a

That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. Matthew 12:36

"Tout est fini."

OC for ME

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain
Color me old fashioned. I have never taken to using profanity in the course of offering my opinion on any given subject.

eye95

It is probably a good thing that some do not see the point. If those some don't want to sway others to their POV, it is easier to sway those others to better messages.