Thread: Constitutional Carry filed in Tennessee

Constitutional Carry filed in Tennessee

At least, by my reading.

TN House Bill 1885

http://legiscan.com/TN/bill/HB1885/2013

As introduced, specifies that the Class C misdemeanor offense of carrying a firearm, knife or club with intent to go armed is committed only if the person carrying the firearm, knife or club is prohibited by law from purchasing, owning or possessing a weapon. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.
    Find your legislator here:

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/house/members/
    Last edited by Silvertongue; 01-28-2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Add link
    I carry everywhere because crime doesn't make appointments.

Leonard Embody left a Facebook comment on that...lol

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.
    Open means open...

Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    Leonard Embody left a Facebook comment on that...lol

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.
    What's a Leonard Embody?

Well, it's somewhat off topic to the thread, but since you ask, here are some links you can check out to help with learning about this particular activist. I would recommend doing some searching on your own as well, including right here on the forum. And do try not to start World War III.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/catego...leonard-embody

http://www.wkrn.com/story/22963087/l...mbody-arrested

http://info-about-leonard-embody-aka...u.blogspot.com

Last edited by independence; 01-28-2014 at 01:25 AM.
    Open means open...

I love the idea of this bill, though! Thanks for sharing!

Open means open...

Calls needed!

The House Civil Justice Subcommittee is reviewing the bill. Here are the members and their phone numbers:

Jim Coley, chair (615) 741-8201
    Mike Carter (615) 741-3025
    Vance Dennis (615) 741-2190
    Andrew Farmer (615) 741-4419
    Sherry Jones (615) 741-2035
    Jon Lundberg (615) 741-7623
    Mike Stewart (615) 741-2184
    Rick Womick (615) 741-2804

Inundate them with calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertongue View Post
    At least, by my reading.

TN House Bill 1885

http://legiscan.com/TN/bill/HB1885/2013
    As introduced, specifies that the Class C misdemeanor offense of carrying a firearm, knife or club with intent to go armed is committed only if the person carrying the firearm, knife or club is prohibited by law from purchasing, owning or possessing a weapon. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Find your legislator here:

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/house/members/
    Actually that synopsis of the bill is terrible, it would still prevent you from carrying in places open to the public, Class A 'meanor.

However, the actual bill simply removes restrictions on handgun carry anywhere if you are legal to own one, so yes, it's de facto constitutional carry.

I'd say it's chances however are between slim and none, and Slim already left town.

- OS
    Last edited by Oh Shoot; 02-12-2014 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
    Actually that synopsis of the bill is terrible, it would still prevent you from carrying in places open to the public, Class A 'meanor.

However, the actual bill simply removes restrictions on handgun carry anywhere if you are legal to own one, so yes, it's de facto constitutional carry.

I'd say it's chances however are between slim and none, and Slim already left town.

- OS
    I'm not so sure that is the case. This is the text of the bill, in its entirety (minus reference notations):

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1307, is amended by deleting
    from subsection (a) the word “person” and substituting instead the word “person who is
    prohibited by law from purchasing, owning or possessing a firearm”.
    SECTION 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2014, the public welfare requiring it.
    - http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/HB1885.pdf

The part about carrying in places open to the public being a misdemeanor reads:

(C) A violation of subdivision (a)(1) [emphasis added] is a Class A misdemeanor if the person's carrying of a handgun occurred at a place open to the public where one (1) or more persons were present.
    Considering that the bill is amending subdivision (a)(1) to mean “person who is prohibited by law from purchasing, owning or possessing a firearm,” it seems to me that the misdemeanor would only apply those those persons, considering you have to have be a person prohibited from possessing a firearm to be in violation of subdivision (a)(1).
    Last edited by SovereignAxe; 02-20-2014 at 08:18 AM.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    I'm not so sure that is the case. This is the text of the bill, in its entirety (minus reference notations):

- http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/HB1885.pdf

The part about carrying in places open to the public being a misdemeanor reads:

Considering that the bill is amending subdivision (a)(1) to mean “person who is prohibited by law from purchasing, owning or possessing a firearm,” it seems to me that the misdemeanor would only apply those those persons, considering you have to have be a person prohibited from possessing a firearm to be in violation of subdivision (a)(1).
    I'm not following. The news story reads different from the bill, was what I was saying.

The bill removes prohibitions from carrying a firearm, knife over 4", or a club from everyone except someone who is prohibited from having a firearm. So the Class A, B, and C misdemeanors are null for most people. It not only negates needing a HCP, but also removes prohibition from carrying a large knife or impact weapon.

Aren't you saying the same thing?

Of course, it doesn't have a prayer anyway.

- OS
    Last edited by Oh Shoot; 02-23-2014 at 01:31 AM.

What I'm saying is that since it changes that section of the law, the part that makes carrying in public places a class A misdemeanor would no longer apply to those of us legally carrying.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    What I'm saying is that since it changes that section of the law, the part that makes carrying in public places a class A misdemeanor would no longer apply to those of us legally carrying.
    Yes, again, that's what I'm saying too.

The confusion is that the news article did not put it that way which was my original comment contrasting the article and the actual bill.

- OS
    Last edited by Oh Shoot; 02-23-2014 at 04:12 PM.