• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GR City Manager seeking input from community on hiring new Police Chief.

tenletters

Request

I respectfully request the incoming Chief charge, REQUIRE and monitor his entire staff; office, patrol, jail, and 911; to complete an instructional course on the U.S. Constitution. Such a course is required of EVERY graduate of Hillsdale University and costs the student nothing. The same course is available online from Hillsdale at NO CHARGE to any individual or group of individuals. Each future new hire would be so required.
This one move would reduce the amount paid in future municipal lawsuits, insure smoother departmental operations, enhance the safety of his officers and ensure the rights of his citizens and any other U.S. citizens they encounter.
Huge return for a meager expense.

Raggs

I respectfully request the incoming Chief charge, REQUIRE and monitor his entire staff; office, patrol, jail, and 911; to complete an instructional course on the U.S. Constitution. Such a course is required of EVERY graduate of Hillsdale University and costs the student nothing. The same course is available online from Hillsdale at NO CHARGE to any individual or group of individuals. Each future new hire would be so required.
This one move would reduce the amount paid in future municipal lawsuits, insure smoother departmental operations, enhance the safety of his officers and ensure the rights of his citizens and any other U.S. citizens they encounter.

I don't know that Hillsdale is all the gun friendly. From their rules
http://www.hillsdale.edu/campus-life/residence-life/residence-halls/policies#ForbiddenItems
Firearms, knives, explosives, fireworks, dangerous chemicals and/or other weapons; this includes items such as pellet guns, BB guns, paint guns, airsoft guns, bows and arrows, metal tipped darts, etc. are not allowed in students’ rooms. The College reserves the right to confiscate forbidden items until alternate arrangements can be made.

Last edited:

tenletters

I don't know that Hillsdale is all the gun friendly. From their rules
http://www.hillsdale.edu/campus-life/residence-life/residence-halls/policies#ForbiddenItems
Firearms, knives, explosives, fireworks, dangerous chemicals and/or other weapons; this includes items such as pellet guns, BB guns, paint guns, airsoft guns, bows and arrows, metal tipped darts, etc. are not allowed in students’ rooms. The College reserves the right to confiscate forbidden items until alternate arrangements can be made.

One step at a time sir. Nowhere is it written that instruction on the Constitution assures a founder's understanding of same. There is, after all, more to the document than the 2nd Amendment. Long before lawful carry comes due cause, entrapment and rights against self incrimination to name a few.

My point is, embarrassingly few LEOs have anything more than a working knowledge of the Constitution, let alone variances in state or even their local laws. Nearly all of their training is hands on, through osmosis. Most are ignorant of what they can and cannot legally do, hence the "blue code".

One meager step at a time.

Primus

Do you have a link to this info? I'd gladly take this course if it was free and I'd spread the word to co workers.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

FreeInAZ

Do you have a link to this info? I'd gladly take this course if it was free and I'd spread the word to co workers.

Here you go since your Google detective skill seem to be on the fritz. Hope you're not a homicide defective...err detective.
:rolleyes:

May you and all your "comrades" learn well (after the fact) what you swore to uphold.
https://online.hillsdale.edu/constitution101/info

Primus

Here you go since your Google detective skill seem to be on the fritz. Hope you're not a homicide defective...err detective.
:rolleyes:

May you and all your "comrades" learn well (after the fact) what you swore to uphold.
https://online.hillsdale.edu/constitution101/info

Just signed up for this tonight. It appears its a series of online lectures that you watch and .maybe some hand outs that are archived. Once you complete the material you can take a 40 question test. If you get 32 right you get a certificate of completion. I guess this is a mini course that follows the real full credited course.

DeSchaine

A chuckle worthy foot note here... WOOD TV8 did a teaser about the story at about 10 after 6 this AM. As the anchor was talking, they were showing video of the sleepwalking man in his underwear statue at some college that people have an issue, with. Seemed ironically appropriate.