• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got told by a patron at Starbucks that I should leave...while in uniform.

Primus

My thoughts exactly. And Primus, the OP is not a LEO, he is an armed security guard of a company that I will not name (I live in pierce county and in fact, my roommate may be an employee of the same security company based on the uniform the OP is wearing). If the OP had been a LEO, the customer wouldn't have said a single word to him.

Oh ok I was thinking maybe campus police since he was rocking a deity belt. Thanks for the correction though.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Difdi

That is a scary pic - perhaps if you had your sidearm stenciled in a soothing earth tone design, and have a button saying you use recycled lead and resmelted copper bullets, loaded an earth-friendly biodegradable powder, it would put them more at ease as they drank sumatran coffee beans flown over daily from Indonesia on the biggest, smokiest, old Aeroflot repurposed kerosene belching cargo jet.

Hey, if you're going to go that route, why not go all the way?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pmCqHSToVTk/UP9pqhSalBI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/I--YGhR_pMs/s1600/HelloKittyAR.gif

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/attach...at-job-hello-kitty-s-w-m-p-22-hello-kitty.jpg

DocWalker

Huh? How on earth are you reaching that conclusion?

My opinion is that if a business/landowner doesn't want guns on the property they should clearly state so (Starbuck's has) and their request should be respected (the OP doesn't). We're not talking about the law...we're talking about private property rights.

The problem with the OP's actions is that it implicates and sanctions disregard for his own property rights/control. Can't have it both ways. Disregarding Starbuck's request isn't fair to Starbuck's.

Dam, you just don't get it. Starbucks DIDN"T BAN GUNS, they are trying to play both sides of the fence on the issue. They said they WON'T ban gun but trying to appease the anti's they also added that they prefer that people didn't bring guns into the stores but said they would still serve you and that GUNS ARE NOT BANNED.

I don't drink starbucks anymore but it is up to each person to make that choice.

STARBUCKS DIDN"T BAN GUNS....PERIOD GET IT....

papa bear

right on DOCwalker

Huh? How on earth are you reaching that conclusion?

My opinion is that if a business/landowner doesn't want guns on the property they should clearly state so (Starbuck's has) and their request should be respected (the OP doesn't). We're not talking about the law...we're talking about private property rights.

The problem with the OP's actions is that it implicates and sanctions disregard for his own property rights/control. Can't have it both ways. Disregarding Starbuck's request isn't fair to Starbuck's.

to repeat there are no private property rights in the USA. there is only private property (as in resident), open to the public property, and closed business property. all are covered by law not rights

CT Barfly

Dam, you just don't get it. Starbucks DIDN"T BAN GUNS, they are trying to play both sides of the fence on the issue. They said they WON'T ban gun but trying to appease the anti's they also added that they prefer that people didn't bring guns into the stores but said they would still serve you and that GUNS ARE NOT BANNED.

I don't drink starbucks anymore but it is up to each person to make that choice.

What don't I get?

I read (and posted) the "request." Conveniently, none of you copied my entire post, presumably because it justifies my position.

There is nothing in the "request" that welcomes guns...except for LEO.

If the OP is under the exception to the policy, regarding authorized LEO, then this whole conversation is moot. By virtue of the fact that a patron took issue, I would guess he wasn't obviously LEO at the time.

Bottom line is Starbuck's can make its policy, and we HAVE to respect it. Whether it's a private residence or a business, the person who owns/controls it can dictate how people will conduct themselves when present (with certain limitations).

You guys are busy doing all kinds of mental gymnastics in order to OC in a place that has expressly requested that you not do so...there's no way you are going to justify this kind of disregard for property belonging to others.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Been really busy lately and haven't posted in a while but thought this was worth mentioning. Just got told by a patron at the Starbucks in Green firs University Place that I shouldn't be in there carrying a gun because Starbucks banned it. I informed her that they in fact requested that people not carry guns and that they would serve them anyway. This was echoed by the barista who was happy to give me my 20 ounces of caramel goodness...the woman said I was making her and several other herbivores uncomfortable. She then marched off upset that her hoplophobic rantings were quickly squashed. I was in there for my usual preshift coffee, in uniform. University place is full of people scared of their own shadows with very few exceptions. I prefer to keep my employer out of this forum so please don't ask who I work for.

What would you have done if the barista had asked you to leave?

OC for ME

Tell her that an irrational fear of an inanimate objects is covered by Obamacare.

The CEO of Starbucks seems to disagree with you on their policy.

From the CEO:

"For these reasons, today we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where “open carry” is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.
No OC or CC.

Starbucks don't want you or your gun.

He don't want his employees "getting all up in your gril" and telling you to take your gun and hit the bricks. The banning part.

Semantics? Yes. Is the CEO crystal clear on his "request" for no guns in his stores? Well, there seems to be some debate on this subject.

We all know that guns are not welcome in Starbucks. Go into their store with a gun, you don't give a rip about his private property right, while at the same time demanding that he give a rip about your gun right.....nice.

Maverick9

So the OP's post was designed to:
1. Gloat at his special status?
2. Whine about the patron?
3. Inform everyone he was special?
4. Create the impression that he was a uniformed law enforcement officer (maybe not, if you read closely)?
5. Go 'in uniform' in opposition to the company's desires (though not a hard rule)?
6. All of the above?

Or support firearms rights but not really explaining to the patron that he was a 2A supporter, not an LEO. I really can't tell.

sudden valley gunner

If a business has as license, then it has no rights. The licensed business cannot exist without the state's permission. Part of that means that he state can shut one down for almost any reason because a licensed activity is a privileged activity.

That flies in the face of property rights and the constitution.

Primus

So the OP's post was designed to:
1. Gloat at his special status?
2. Whine about the patron?
3. Inform everyone he was special?
4. Create the impression that he was a uniformed law enforcement officer (maybe not, if you read closely)?
5. Go 'in uniform' in opposition to the company's desires (though not a hard rule)?
6. All of the above?

Or support firearms rights but not really explaining to the patron that he was a 2A supporter, not an LEO. I really can't tell.

How about it was designed to relay an open carry experience he had? Maybe it was to show that even in the face of an anti patron THAT Starbucks (or the worker that day) were perfectly fine with him ocing there.

Relax. The dude was on his way to work and wanted a coffee. He was ocing and got hassled by a fellow citizen. The uniform he was wearing had nothing to do with it.

Freedom1Man

That flies in the face of property rights and the constitution.

If a, licensed corporation type, business cannot exist without the government permission then it cannot really ever own property.

If it is a private citizen running a business, not a corporation, then I would agree with you.

I do not recognize corporations as having rights.

Fuller Malarkey

Snipped
Relax. The dude was on his way to work and wanted a coffee. He was ocing and got hassled by a fellow citizen. The uniform he was wearing had nothing to do with it.

Speaking of relax.......your jurisdiction ends at the at the edge of the mall parking lot, doesn't it?

As you were.

Oh. And "Psssst"..........word has it the scofflaws at Barnes and Noble are smoking just outside the back door again. We're counting on you to protect us. Vaya con Dios, Mall Warrior.

Primus

Speaking of relax.......your jurisdiction ends at the at the edge of the mall parking lot, doesn't it?

As you were.

Oh. And "Psssst"..........word has it the scofflaws at Barnes and Noble are smoking just outside the back door again. We're counting on you to protect us. Vaya con Dios, Mall Warrior.

Lol No I work at a toll booth remember. So go ahead try getting through me without paying your 75 cents!!

WalkingWolf

So what we have learned is Primus only supports OC by uniformed LEOs and uniformed security guards. If it was anybody else, IMO, he would tell them to conceal.

DocWalker

What don't I get?

I read (and posted) the "request." Conveniently, none of you copied my entire post, presumably because it justifies my position.

There is nothing in the "request" that welcomes guns...except for LEO.

If the OP is under the exception to the policy, regarding authorized LEO, then this whole conversation is moot. By virtue of the fact that a patron took issue, I would guess he wasn't obviously LEO at the time.

Bottom line is Starbuck's can make its policy, and we HAVE to respect it. Whether it's a private residence or a business, the person who owns/controls it can dictate how people will conduct themselves when present (with certain limitations).

You guys are busy doing all kinds of mental gymnastics in order to OC in a place that has expressly requested that you not do so...there's no way you are going to justify this kind of disregard for property belonging to others.

I guess it boils down to the difference between "request" and "we are not banning and will serve you". I request is just that a request and not a dictate on OC. You can jump to a conclusion if you want but the way that Starbucks put it out their you are still welcome to do buisness with them while you OC....PER THE LAW.