• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got told by a patron at Starbucks that I should leave...while in uniform.

OC for ME

Not "liberal", but progressive, of which the right is just as guilty as the left. Progressivism is the political bowel movement to make-things-better - willy-nilly damn the unintended consequences.
Progressive is the PC term for a liberal. Everybody knows what a liberal is and what liberals desire. Leftist/liberal two sides of the same coin. The right is not nearly as willy-nilly as the left is. Anyone who claims to be on the right yet advocates for any portion of the liberal agenda is a liberal/leftist.

I will not concede that there are conservatives, true conservatives, that compromise their principles. There can be no compromise where liberty is concerned.

Around Here

Why does location make a difference instead of observable behavior? I'm being quite

They both matter. I'd regard the same behavior (in this case, OC) differently based on location.

No matter where I am (in this example, a "normal" area to frequent, such as my local grocery store, cafe or park, children in tow.) I always watch the behavior of people around me. ... A visible or invisible weapon is not the determining factor; potentially threatening behavior is. And merely being armed does not qualify as threatening behavior.

You're much more comfortable with ubiquitous open carry than I am.

Are you similarly uncomfortable around people at the ballpark or mall who may be carrying pocket knives? Do you only drive/walk areas where there are no other vehicles around? Do you avoid all dogs?

The answer to all of those questions is "No."

Last edited:

Around Here

If a man dressed in a nice business suit is open carrying at a coffee joint and right behind him is a big biker dude also open carrying, are you more comfortable with the man in the suit? Before you answer, remember that both men are following the law and neither has shown any sort of threatening behavior.

In my neighborhood, they'd both make me uncomfortable. "How uncomfortable" is impossible for me to say, other than "uncomfortable enough" to quickly and quietly leave the premises.

Primus

A thought that keeps going through my head....

He said HES not comfortable with OCing in certain places. He has said he would never tell someone what it how to do it. He never said anything that would affect someone else's life and or rights. So let's replace some words.

I don't like people who smoke. I leave places where people are smoking. Of your smoking out in the open then I think its fine. If your smoking on a crowded corner in a city I don't think its cool and I will leave. I question those who s ones mental capacity because I think smoking is bad for them. They have the right to smoke and it is legal.

Would that make me a liberal?

Trying to find out how political association comes into play when a person has an opinion on an action or activity. Are certain activities owned by certain parties or thought processes? Do conservatives own guns so if you don't own them and don't like them your a leftist?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Primus

Also.... pretty sure he said he's come around and changed his view on guns and he is conservative. Who are we to tell him what he is? We know ONE activity he doesn't like. OCing in certain places. Not that he wants to ban it or anything that affects us. Just that his OPINION is he doesn't like it.

That's all it takes to be thrown in a party or a "side"? To not like one activity?

Also... quiet a few guys are hyped up and getting rowdy with the "you leftist!!! Aaahhh!!!!".... that is NOT going to help or change him. That will NOT make him like OCing. If anything it may "confirm" that some guys who OC are crazy. Let's not turn him away...

Grim_Night

A thought that keeps going through my head....

He said HES not comfortable with OCing in certain places. He has said he would never tell someone what it how to do it. He never said anything that would affect someone else's life and or rights. So let's replace some words.

I don't like people who smoke. I leave places where people are smoking. Of your smoking out in the open then I think its fine. If your smoking on a crowded corner in a city I don't think its cool and I will leave. I question those who s ones mental capacity because I think smoking is bad for them. They have the right to smoke and it is legal.

Would that make me a liberal?

Trying to find out how political association comes into play when a person has an opinion on an action or activity. Are certain activities owned by certain parties or thought processes? Do conservatives own guns so if you don't own them and don't like them your a leftist?

Comparing smoking to the 2A and open carrying is like comparing the size of one's hands to the size of his genitals... there is no comparison. Smoking is a well known and established health hazard that while legal has an effect on you and those around you even through passive exposure and the fact that smoking is not a RIGHT. The 2A is a RIGHT and a firearm concealed or openly carried is nothing more then an inanimate object that will no more harm you or the people around you then your shoe. Smoke can harm you by it's very presence. A firearm won't.

Around Here

Comparing smoking to the 2A and open carrying is like comparing the size of one's hands to the size of his genitals... there is no comparison.

Actually, there is a correlation between penis length and the difference in the length of a man's index and ring fingers. Just sayin'.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/04/news/la-heb-finger-ratio-penis-length-20110704

p.s.: And Primus, I didn't claim to be conservative. I claimed to be independent. I am everyone's traitor and no one's follower.

Last edited:

Primus

Actually, there is a correlation between penis length and the difference in the length of a man's index and ring fingers. Just sayin'.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/04/news/la-heb-finger-ratio-penis-length-20110704

p.s.: And Primus, I didn't claim to be conservative. I claimed to be independent. I am everyone's traitor and no one's follower.

I apologize for assigning the wrong beliefs to you. No harm was meant I was going from memory of this conversation. I find d myself getting more independent each day but I find I still need to vote for a crazy from some party.

Around Here

I apologize for assigning the wrong beliefs to you. No harm was meant I was going from memory of this conversation. I find d myself getting more independent each day but I find I still need to vote for a crazy from some party.

I'm a split ticket voter. Everybody hates a split ticket voter. We are very unreliable people, prone to turn on you when you least expect it. With respect to this discussion, I've pretty much left the pro-gun control side after a very long time in their camp. But they're not 100% wrong, nor is the "gun rights" side (terrible labeling, by the way) right about everything. Almost everyone's usually got some point to make that isn't a complete fustercluck. In fact, the minute anyone in politics is entirely right or entirely wrong is the day to check your meds. But people like myself will never do anything but piss off the True Believers. Oh well.

Funny how people say they want to be told the truth, but when they get the truth they so often go kinda sorta nuts at the person who told it. Oh well! :cool:

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

I'm a split ticket voter. Everybody hates a split ticket voter. We are very unreliable people, prone to turn on you when you least expect it. With respect to this discussion, I've pretty much left the pro-gun control side after a very long time in their camp. But they're not 100% wrong, nor is the "gun rights" (terrible labeling, by the way) right about everything. In fact, the minute anyone in politics is entirely right or entirely wrong is the day to check your meds. But people like myself will never do anything but piss off the True Believers. Oh well.

True Believers? Are you talking about those who believe in liberty? Or those who believe that the state is always right? Or the ones who believe that you have the right to never be offended?

Primus

I'm a split ticket voter. Everybody hates a split ticket voter. We are very unreliable people, prone to turn on you when you least expect it. With respect to this discussion, I've pretty much left the pro-gun control side after a very long time in their camp. But they're not 100% wrong, nor is the "gun rights" side (terrible labeling, by the way) right about everything. Almost everyone's usually got some point to make that isn't a complete fustercluck. In fact, the minute anyone in politics is entirely right or entirely wrong is the day to check your meds. But people like myself will never do anything but piss off the True Believers. Oh well.

Funny how people say they want to be told the truth, but when they get the truth they so often go kinda sorta nuts at the person who told it. Oh well! :cool:

Qft

Around Here

Comparing smoking to the 2A and open carrying is like comparing the size of one's hands to the size of his genitals... there is no comparison. Smoking is a well known and established health hazard that while legal has an effect on you and those around you even through passive exposure and the fact that smoking is not a RIGHT. The 2A is a RIGHT and a firearm concealed or openly carried is nothing more then an inanimate object that will no more harm you or the people around you then your shoe. Smoke can harm you by it's very presence. A firearm won't.

Something else: He made an analogy. No analogy is ever perfect, or there'd be no purpose in using the technique. Loosen up, why don't ya? Geez, do you ever get a little sore from being so tightly wound?

Primus

It was not even a, lukewarm analogy.

Was pretty close. I have a right to smoke. Remember i have a right to do anything that doesn't affect you? So I have a natural right to smoke cigarettes. Its an activity someone may not like. Some people modify their behavior because others smoke. So if a person has an opinion on said behavior are they automatically an political side? Can be said for alot of activities.

The point was your opinion on one activity shouldn't be grounds to be assaulted and shoved into a belief system you may or may not prescribe to. Especially if your opinion doesn't affect anyone else.

Also said opinion shouldn't be enough to incite malice or "disrespect" from others. But it clearly is.

Dave_pro2a

The COTUS prohibits smoking? Weird, I thought tobacco was pretty popular back then.

Health hazard /= illegal or unconstitutional (or immoral).

Freedom1Man

Was pretty close. I have a right to smoke. Remember i have a right to do anything that doesn't affect you? So I have a natural right to smoke cigarettes. Its an activity someone may not like. Some people modify their behavior because others smoke. So if a person has an opinion on said behavior are they automatically an political side? Can be said for alot of activities.

The point was your opinion on one activity shouldn't be grounds to be assaulted and shoved into a belief system you may or may not prescribe to. Especially if your opinion doesn't affect anyone else.

Also said opinion shouldn't be enough to incite malice or "disrespect" from others. But it clearly is.

You can smoke all you want. But you'll have to control all the smoke you create. Smoke has been proven to cause harm to the health of others, not just the one smoking. So, if by your smoking I end up breathing it in, you should go to prison, or at least pay me a civil fine.

The gun in a holster harms NO-ONE, period. A lit cigarette in public places causes harm. Now, carrying a pack/carton/etc of cigarettes, harms no-one.

A closer analogy would be someone shooting pigeons in the city and someone smoking.

Last edited:

Primus

You can smoke all you want. But you'll have to control all the smoke you create. Smoke has been proven to cause harm to the health of others, not just the one smoking. So, if by your smoking I end up breathing it in, you should go to prison, or at least pay me a civil fine.

The gun in a holster harms NO-ONE, period. A lit cigarette in public places causes harm. Now, carrying a pack/carton/etc of cigarettes, harms no-one.

A closer analogy would be someone shooting pigeons in the city and someone smoking.

Again your losing the forest for the trees.

Around Here

You're like the homophobic bigot who gets disturbed when you see two women kissing... except about gun owners not gays.

I believe in the absolute right of two (or more!) consenting women (wymyn?) to do the horizontal (or vertical) nasty in the privacy of their bedroom, or a city park, as long as they make a movie. That was a joke. :cool:

Last edited: