Thread: Up in Arms, by Colin Woodard, Tufts Mag / Fall 2013

Up in Arms, by Colin Woodard, Tufts Mag / Fall 2013

Up in Arms
    THE BATTLE LINES OF TODAY’S DEBATES OVER GUN CONTROL, STAND-YOUR-GROUND LAWS, AND OTHER VIOLENCE-RELATED ISSUES WERE DRAWN CENTURIES AGO BY AMERICA’S EARLY SETTLERS, BY COLIN WOODARD, ILLUSTRATION BY BRIAN STAUFFER [CAPS in the original]
    http://www.tufts.edu/alumni/magazine...p-in-arms.html

The American Nations Today
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America

As seminal as I found Angelo Codevilla's TAS essay, 'America's Ruling Class - And the Perils of Revolution', I imagine this prescient look at the Balkanization of the US will be similar.

The precise delineation of the eleven nations—which I have explored at length in my latest book, American Nations—is original to me, but I’m certainly not the first person to observe that such national divisions exist. Kevin Phillips, a Republican Party campaign strategist, recognized the boundaries and values of several of these nations in 1969 and used them to correctly prophesy two decades of American political development in his politico cult classic The Emerging Republican Majority. Joel Garreau, a Washington Post editor, argued that our continent was divided into rival power blocs in The Nine Nations of North America, though his ahistorical approach undermined the identification of the nations. The Pulitzer Prize–winning historian David Hackett Fischer detailed the origins and early evolution of four of these nations in his magisterial Albion’s Seed and later added New France. Russell Shorto described the salient characteristics of New Netherland in The Island at the Center of the World. And the list goes on.
    http://www.amazon.com/American-Natio...=colin+woodard
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-28-2014 at 10:51 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

It will be interesting to see, after the imminent balkanization of the US, how closely the smaller nations to emerge follow the lines of this study.

Not far off the mark, no siree bob, not far off at all.